Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who are the worst drivers on Irish Roads?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

MYOB wrote: »
    2: Skangers in cars that have clearly crashed in to Halfords at high speed

classic.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

U don't happen to go to ITT Dublin do you?

Nope, final year Town Planner in Bolton St.

For why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The people who cant drive very well imho! They are just the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Nope, final year Town Planner in Bolton St.

For why do you ask?

Bunch of lads at the protest last week where chanting rabbel all the time, must be more commom then I thought:D

Oh and to answer the OP's question.

Everyone else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Zube wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't get it. She used her brakes.

If she deployed a drogue chute I'd be startled, but applying the brakes is an accepted method for slowing a car down, and she did it right where you'd expect her to slow down, at a speed limit zone.

If that "frightens the pants off you", consider what will happen if someone with real brakes like a Porsche has to do an emergency stop from 100 in front of you.

Emergency stopping is different from slowing down for a speed limit. It's a concept called braking and acceleration sense, as in you come off your accelerator before coming to the speed limit sign, and thus don't need to use your brakes, or use them minimally to reach the speed limit rather than slamming on the anchors as you come to the sign.

Advanced driving course is something you should consider to learn about this concept, it makes driving far more enjoyable and comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i still use a gear change down when coming up to a slower speed limit-i know now in the UK/ireland you are expected to brake first before changing down-but 10 years ago doing that you would have failed your test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

its one thing driving for the driving exam... but at the end of the day... is it cheaper to replace the brake pads or the gears/engine.

I used to use the gears alot but now just use my brakes to slow down, rather than the gears+brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

cashmni1 wrote: »
    I know it has been flogged to death but this very morning, on route to work on the South Link in Cork, in the overtaking lane, an Avensis (01 C xxx). Doing 100kph. And not moving in. From the Bandon road roundabout until the Douglas turn off, I must have flashed him 4 or 5 times, This was at 7:15am so there was NO way he didn't see me. The lights lit up the inside of his car. There was on coming traffic so I couldnt, (and wouldn't) leave them on.3 different cars passed me and numb nuts in front of me on the inside lanes. I was patient (mostly because I was heading in early and I was in no partucilar rush) and I just wanted to see if he would move in or not. Nope afraid not.
    Asshole.I turned off @ the next turn off looked in the mirror and there he was in the Overtaking lane with full beams on (for me I'd say) and no other car in sight accept the few stuck behind him.
    Asshole!!!
    I cannot stress this enough.

Avensis and Almera drivers! They are all the same, hogging the outside lane and refusing to pull over. Drives me mad too. Always fairly sure when I reach a queue of traffic crawling along that there's an Avensis or Almera either at the front or even worse, next in line and refusing to overtake. Bloody things should be banned off the road along with their drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

samhail wrote: »
    its one thing driving for the driving exam... but at the end of the day... is it cheaper to replace the brake pads or the gears/engine.

I used to use the gears alot but now just use my brakes to slow down, rather than the gears+brakes.

Dependant on conditions it can be far safer to use the ngine to slow down, and you'll be more in control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Drivers who complain about other drivers :rolleyes:

To bloody right. they be looking at everyone else doing this and that wrong. how can ya concentrate on the road when your nit picking everyone elses driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

MYOB wrote: »
    Caps when driving are generally worn by:

1: Old duffers that do 55kph - no matter what road/conditions/etc
    2: Skangers in cars that have clearly crashed in to Halfords at high speed

thats where that comes from...

I constantly wear a ball cap when driving...I'm neither an old duffer nor someone who'd buy so much as a bottle of screenwash in Halfrauds, let alone "decorate" my car with any of their tat.
    Stereotypes ftw!

Worst drivers? You know I can't really pigeonhole any one group in general...but I have to agree on the black ladies...they really are brutal, whether it be in car parks, intra-urban or out on the mway. L plates optional.
    Anyone who uses their brakes too much tend to get on my wick, you know the ones who brake 100 yds too early for any turn or junction they're approaching, the same ones who brake on the mways for no reason. Don't these people know about engine braking?
    Have a huge probem with any lorry driver who cuts me up just as I'm about to overtake them...since I'm almost always coming out from behind them in the inside lane (before I enter their blindspots), I'll make sure to indicate for long enough that they'll notice that I'm about to pass...but no, on goes the indicator and off goes the limiter and it's the snail race to pass another artic whilst the traffic swells behind them. IME it's almost always f*cking nordie truckers...not a thing you can do about them either.
    [edit] Oh yeah and hackney drivers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kleftangel

People from Wicklow.

... Or my Dad.
    Wertz wrote: »
    I constantly wear a ball cap when driving...I'm neither an old duffer nor someone who'd buy so much as a bottle of screenwash in Halfrauds, let alone "decorate" my car with any of their tat.
    Stereotypes ftw!

He did say "generally", not always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

kleftangel wrote: »
    People from Wicklow.

... Or my Dad.

He did say "generally", not always.

Ah yeah I know, but I just like to point out to people reading that not everyone wearing a hat whilst driving is necessarily going to cause you annoyance. Unless it's a Garda hat of course :pac:...

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Ireland:

Taxi drivers
    Nuns in micras
    Yummy mummies in large vehicles

Los Angeles:

Taxi drivers
    gang bangers
    auld ones in Buicks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

this really depends on what mood im in!!! As the winter continues and it gets colder and rainier, I suspect more and more people will be added to my 'worst' drivers list...

Come summer they'll alllll disappear though!

Advertisement