Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Selection Issue

Options
  • 23-10-2008 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what games you would play King in over the next week or 2. Having read this morning that he needs 10 days rest after a game, I assume if he plays tonight, he wont play against Bolton Arsenal or Liverpool !!
    Would you wrap him up until next Wednesday against Arsenal or play him on Sunday to try ensure we get a league win under our belts !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Not that i'd want to if he was fit but being honest i'd fcuk king out the door. He's no good to us for 1 game a month!. could you see any of the top four doing that with terry , ferdinand , gallas or carragher ,no they wouldn't do that. what we need to do once and for all is get a top quality centre back in january transfer window to play with woodgate , jury is out on corluka and as for dawson i'd stick him training with the academy team!. all the chopping and changing to accomodate king is doing nobody at spurs any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

BERBA wrote: »
    Not that i'd want to if he was fit but being honest i'd fcuk king out the door. He's no good to us for 1 game a month!. could you see any of the top four doing that with terry , ferdinand , gallas or carragher ,no they wouldn't do that. what we need to do once and for all is get a top quality centre back in january transfer window to play with woodgate , jury is out on corluka and as for dawson i'd stick him training with the academy team!. all the chopping and changing to accomodate king is doing nobody at spurs any good.

Agree. Much as it pains me to say it King is a liability to us at this stage. Chopping and changing to suit him when he's fit is a complete joke. Time to hang up the boots Ledley.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Who would your number 1 centre haf target be ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Upson maybe , could get him on the cheap from the spammers with their financial difficulties. Would have been nice if we had got dunne in the summer before hughes persuaded him to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Fcuk I hope we dont sign Upson, another crock in his late 20s, we have enough of them as mentioned earlier.

Id love to see us sign a bruiser, someone like Samba from Blackburn ,or someone in that mould. The lad Wheater from Boro looks like a good prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

talking od Samba at Blackburn... id rather go for ryan neilsen, wealth of expeience, knows the game, hard as nails..perfect partner for woody,and if dawson was in the team hecould also benifit from havng such an experienced player also.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

For all the bullsh1t that the club has been spinning up until now, I think it's been common knowledge, for some time, that Ledley's knee is fcuked and can't play consecutive games

I believe the club's position is that:
    • Ledley is still under contract (until summer 2009?)
    • no other club will pay a fee to buy him (not even Redknapp or Keane would take that chance)
    • if the club cancel the contract then they'll have to pay up the full remaining term
    • in the meantime they'll use him as and when they think they can get away with it
    We only have three other players who can realistically play at CB
    Corluka (cup-tied for Uefa Cup)
    Dawson (incapable and currently suspended)
    Woodgate (steady & would be a rock alongside decent CB)

Therefore we're stuck with a semi-crippled captain for at least another 6-7 months. The club should have gone all out for Richard Dunne in the summer. It's not like nobody saw this problem coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Should have got richard dunne in the summer.. slipped up badly on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I believe the club's position is that:
    • Ledley is still under contract (until summer 2009?)
    • no other club will pay a fee to buy him (not even Redknapp or Keane would take that chance)
    • if the club cancel the contract then they'll have to pay up the full remaining term
    • in the meantime they'll use him as and when they think they can get away with it
    We only have three other players who can realistically play at CB
    Corluka (cup-tied for Uefa Cup)
    Dawson (incapable and currently suspended)
    Woodgate (steady & would be a rock alongside decent CB)

The club were happy to leave Rocha, Boateng, Ghaly, Taarabt and Stalteri without squad numbers (but still being paid) this season, they should have bitten the bullet and bought King's full time replacement in the Summer, then let him make a run out in the cups if necessary. Relying on him as a first team squad member is incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Daily Express, Tuesday October 28,2008

Harry Redknapp will tell Ledley King: Get fit or I’ll strip you of the captaincy.

The new Tottenham manager has pinpointed King’s ongoing injury problems as the first priority he has to tackle and is threatening to give the armband to Jonathan Woodgate if club captain King – whom he rates really highly – cannot play week-in, week-out.

A source close to Redknapp told the Daily Express last night: “Harry wants a captain that will be playing regularly. That is important to him as a manager. He won’t let the Ledley situation drag on like it has done. He will sort it out.”

King, 28, played only his third league game of the season on Sunday as Spurs began their reign under Redknapp with a 2-0 win over Bolton – a second match in four days following his game against Udinese in the UEFA Cup. And Redknapp’s message seems to have sunk in as last night King insisted he is fit to face Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium tomorrow to make it a rare hat-trick of appearances, and that he wants to hold on to the captaincy.

King, who has had several operations on his knee in the past two years and made only 10 appearances last season, is determined to fight his corner. Knowing Woodgate is waiting in the wings, he said: “I’m still finding out about the knee and I’ll see how quickly it recovers from this and we’ll take it from there. We’ll see if I can play at Arsenal – and that depends on how it reacts after the Bolton game on Sunday.

“Myself and Jonathan are experienced players – and you need experienced players who know the league. Of course it’s an important position in the team, centre-half, and it’s nice to have consistency in there.

“It has not surprised me that I could play consecutive games. I thought I could do it earlier in the season and stop people talking about it so much. I’m not about to try to play every game, I’ll build up to it.

“It feels good after our first win but we still realise that there’s a long way to go. Harry has given us a new confidence, it looked as if there had been a weight lifted off the players’ shoulders.”

Redknapp spent yesterday at the Spurs training ground, having talks with backroom staff and players who were not involved in Sunday’s match. He also had discussions with another of the former club players he is aiming to bring onto his coaching staff, ex-midfielder Tim Sherwood.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/68244/Harry-to-get-tough-over-King

• Advertisement
Advertisement