Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The NCT and coloured bulbs?

Options
  • 23-10-2008 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'm taking my car for it's first NCT next week and I have non-standard parking light bulbs and headlamp bulbs installed that illuminate with a blue tint versus the standard yellow/white ones which came with the car that I swapped out.

The little parking festoon bulbs are dark royal blue in colour when switched off but just light with a tint of blue when on.

Is this ok or a fail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The blue tint ones will be ok as long as they are "E" marked on the bulb.

The Diadem indicator bulbs you have are most likely by Osram and they ARE fully "E" marked.

Non "E" marked bulbs are for show & off road use only.

Are you saying you have festoon bulbs in your front lights? Very odd.
    If you mean sidelights, 501's/wegde/W5W then as long as they are "E" marked they are fine. They light up with a Xenon light. Perfectly fine.

They might try to fail you but literally remove the bulbs are show them the "E" marking. They cannot fail what is inherantly legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭tagheuer

Thanks quirke_folder.

You know your bulbs!!....unlike me.

What does the "E" mean?! I'll have to check this evening if they have an "E" stamped on them!

It may be easier to just swap all 4 out and replace with the originals!

Yes it's my side lights and main headlamp bulbs are of this blue xenon type effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have some Philips blue sidelight bulbs on my car that I got free with my order of headlight bulbs from powerbulbs.com, and they recently passed the NCT no problem. They only really look blue when they're off, and give a slightly bluish light when illuminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

E is a certification of quality more so than anything.

I buy all my bulbs from http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk

I have Osram nightbreaker which are 80% light blue and 20% clear which gives me 90% more light and 10% whiter.

I have my main beam, dipped beam and fogs as nightbreakers and Osram diadem at the rear indicators.

All perfectly legal and much better than standard "yellowish" halogens because of a cripser light and longer beam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭tagheuer

Great info guys, thanks a lot.

Yes those blue sidelight bulbs came free with my headlamp bulbs at the time so of course I inserted them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement