Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

8 New Mobile Speed Cameras in Crackdown

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Thats relative to the city districts, where the deaths rarely happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

More cars equals more congestion equals lower average speeds equals less serious accidents?

*cough*

brokenrecordle0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

lordlame wrote: »
    Thats relative to the city districts, where the deaths rarely happen.
    Because of the lower speeds in cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I am sure you would approve of the Locomotive Act 1865:

I reduced the speed limit of 2mph in cities, towns and villages, and 4mph elsewhere. Also required a pedestrian carrying a red flag in front of the vehicle at a distance of 60yds. The vehicle was required to have three drivers aboard it.

anyway...

I came across one of these Vans at Silversprings on the Lower Glanmire road last Saturday morning. It was just a few yards before the limit increased from 60k to 100k on the way out of the city, and just at the point everyone clears the traffic, is on a dual carriageway and is in the mood to move on... I was a bit over the limit, but not drastically. Hopefully...

Anyone know what distance these cameras work from?

maidhc wrote: »
    Anyone know what distance these cameras work from?

Assuming its one of the new MultaRadar Cs 10-20 metres

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

passed one of these parked up beside esb substation on N11 just before off ramp for UCD yesterday at around lunchtime. Cunningly parked up on the path beside an industrial installation it was quite hard to sport. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel, on a 60km/h dual carriageway just before it turns into 3 lanes going under the flyover.

Assuming its one of the new MultaRadar Cs 10-20 metres

I assume it was, white unmarked transit. Didn't get the reg, but it was the most recent boxy model.

I am sure you would approve of the Locomotive Act 1865:
    I reduced the speed limit of 2mph in cities, towns and villages, and 4mph elsewhere. Also required a pedestrian carrying a red flag in front of the vehicle at a distance of 60yds. The vehicle was required to have three drivers aboard it.
    Ah yes, the old 'red man with a flag' argument, a requirement targetted at road-going steam engines at a time when most other transport was using horses. The flag man's job was to help the locomotive drive stop, given the poor visibility caused by the size of the vehicle and the amount of smoke and steam produced. The 'drivers' included a stoker to shovel the coal. The requirement was repealed in 1878 before the the first petrol-engined car was invented. What's this got to do with anything?

Do you think congestion has played a role in the reduced fatality rate relative to the number of motor vehicles?

What's this got to do with anything?

My point actually was, that deaths and accidents would without doubt be reduced if speed limits were 2mph, but it would hardly be a practical answer to anything. Brain freeze? You should wear a wooly hat when on the bike!
    Do you think congestion has played a role in the reduced fatality rate relative to the number of motor vehicles?

I think it is hard to die when you crash at 5mph in a modern car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Unless you reverse over a child. Seen it happen.

• Advertisement

NO *most* cars don't be booting through the city centre.

Unfortunately speeding isn't the only thing that causes fatalities cause in your deluded world.

For example: that cyclist I nearly bonneted (that broke a red light).:mad:

Motors forum = People interested in Motors (or at least I used to think so), not trolling every speeding thread like you've been very successful at doing.:mad:
    I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thats fed up of you :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

TheNog wrote: »
    There is one solution that is being used right now but not enough people are doing it. That is for a person to report a case of bad driving and go all the way with it to court. The guards cannot be everywhere but the public certainly can and are.

Traffic Watch is good and somewhat useful. I've used it in the past, but not for speeding offences. The problem is most members of the public are not trained to memorise a reg plate going by at 150kph. The one time I did manage to get a reg (had a passenger with me who could write it down) after a guy nearly ran me off the road, I got a call from the gardai later saying the guy claimed kids were throwing rocks at his car and he felt threatened and needed to leave the area fast. I called BS, and the guard agreed, but they couldn't follow up as it would have been my word against his, and I couldn't validly state the precise speed he was travelling at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

More cars equals more congestion equals lower average speeds equals less serious accidents?

Yes.

It's that simple.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

My point actually was, that deaths and accidents would without doubt be reduced if speed limits were 2mph, but it would hardly be a practical answer to anything.

X2^ but no doubt some darwin award would still find a way no doubt and then there would be some other fanatic crying aloud to reduce the speed limits even further :rolleyes:
    maidhc wrote:
    Brain freeze? You should wear a wooly hat when on the bike!

WIN :D :pac:
    Traumadoc wrote:

:eek:

i would blame that one on careless parents also TBH :(

My point actually was, that deaths and accidents would without doubt be reduced if speed limits were 2mph, but it would hardly be a practical answer to anything.
    You're addressing a proposal that last made in 1895.

You're addressing a proposal that last made in 1895.

...and you are the one on about lower road deaths in cities where the average speed is just about 5mph!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Traumadoc wrote: »

A bit OT, but I do remember reading (on a reversing camera kit website, in fairness) that, on average, one child a week is killed in the US through their own parent reversing over them in the family driveway :(

...and you are the one on about lower road deaths in cities where the average speed is just about 5mph!
    When did I mention cities?

Here...

Type 17 wrote: »
    Here...
    Hmm, yes, I got distracted by someone quoting the totally debunked 'red man with a flag' myth. My bad.

Congestion occurs outside of cities too and affects average speeds.

• Advertisement

No sweat, but I think that you worry about speed as an absolute number and don't see safe driving as a bigger picture with a number of criteria (including the speed of the vehicle) as factors in the overall safety of the situation.

Take for example, attention:

Tests have shown that inexperienced (and presumably experienced, but rubbish) drivers often have periods of inattention of two seconds.

Other tests have shown that travelling at 50 km/h but not perceiving a hazard for two seconds is the equivalent of travelling at 80 km/h and perceiving it as soon as it occurs.

So a driver in a 50 km/h zone, travelling within the speed limit, but experiencing a two second lapse in attention is as dangerous as a driver travelling at 80 km/h there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I cant wait for the privatised cameras.. Then people will see how good they had it with the gardai.

Private compaines will be purely revenue orientated.. the gardai arent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

A few years ago a private company in Australia was found to have "faulty" equipment ( they were found out after they fined some women for doing 160kmph in a Datsun 120y) the company folded but the government had to compensate all the drivers for the incorrect fines and for people loosing jobs due to licences being revoked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Traumadoc wrote: »
    A few years ago a private company in Australia was found to have "faulty" equipment ( they were found out after they fined some women for doing 160kmph in a Datsun 120y) the company folded but the government had to compensate all the drivers for the incorrect fines and for people loosing jobs due to licences being revoked.
    Fortunately, it's written into the legislation here that they can prosecute you using faulty equipment. :)

Advertisement