Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Cup-Group stage 1st round

• 23-10-2008 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

UEFA Cup - Group A

17:15 Schalke - Paris S.G.

19:00 FC Twente Enschede - Racing Santander

UEFA Cup - Group B

19:15 Galatasaray - Olympiakos Piraeus

19:30 Hertha BSC - Benfica

UEFA Cup - Group C

19:45 Sevilla - Stuttgart

20:00 Partizan Belgrade - Sampdoria

UEFA Cup - Group D

18:10 Udinese - Tottenham H.

19:45 Dinamo Zagreb - NEC Nijmegen

UEFA Cup - Group E

19:45 SC Heerenveen - AC Milan

20:15 Braga - Portsmouth

UEFA Cup - Group F

17:30 Zilina - Hamburger SV

20:15 Aston Villa - Ajax Amsterdam

UEFA Cup - Group G

19:45 FC Copenhagen - Saint-Etienne

19:45 Rosenborg - Club Brugge

UEFA Cup - Group H

17:00 CSKA Moscow - Deportivo La Coruna

19:45 Nancy - Feyenoord Rotterdam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I wont predict results of all games but i can say a word about Partizan and Olympiacos.

Partizan is in very good shape:( and in this great group they already have must win game if they want to go through,Sampdoria is the worst team of all 4 Partizan will play against,this season is very bad in Serie A for them so far so i supose at this stage they care more about championship and not too much about UEFA Cup.So if Partizan want to have any hope to go through they have to win tonight,if they get even a draw this season in Europe is over for them,thats my opinion...

Olympiacos is playing great after they got eliminated in CL qualifications,very good in Greek championship so far,but we all know that games between greek and turkish clubs are those with the biggest tense,great atmosphere and toughest to play as guest.

no matter how good Olympiacos is at the moment tonights game will be the hardest in the group stage,i must admit i expect galata to win and draw would be huge as victory,good luck brothers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I reckon Udinese should absolutely tonk Tottenham tonight. Their doing very well in Serie A at the moment and Tottenham.... well, their tottenham

Frisbee wrote: »
    I reckon Udinese should absolutely tonk Tottenham tonight. Their doing very well in Serie A at the moment and Tottenham.... well, their tottenham

I agree on this,udinese is very good this season and a draw would be great for Tottenham if they get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Its been just over 10 years since Villa Park last hosted a European game as big as tonight. Ajax may only be trading on former glories and its only the first round but its games like tonight that are indicators of just how far Villa come in the MON/Lerner era so far.

Comfortable Villa win and hopefully this is just the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Some current HT results:

CSKA 2:0 up against La Coruma
    Schalke 2:0 up against PSG
    Hamburg 2:0 up in Zilina

• Advertisement

47' Schalke 2 - 0 Paris S.G.
    HT Zilina 0 - 2 Hamburger SV
    HT CSKA Moscow 2 - 0 Deportivo La Coruna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Howler from Gomes. Udinese 1-0 up.

Here it goes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Absolutely shocking by Gomes.

Surely he should have been sent off?

How many mistakes has Gomez made so far this season?

Paul Robinson seems to be playing quite well for Blackburn from what I've seen of him this season.

Paul Robinson seems to be playing quite well for Blackburn from what I've seen of him this season.
    I think a yellow card was right. He was going away from goal at an angle. But he is lucky alot of refs would have sent him packing.

• Advertisement

Howler from Gomes.

I wonder how many more times Im gonna hear that this season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

what a clown that lad is.

what a clown that lad is.

Very expensive one;)

Dolan sayiing Spurs have been decent first half :confused:

I'd say they have been pretty gack.

Almost beginning to feel sorry for the Spurs supporters I know.

Udinese nothing special but Spurs don't look like a team at all.

why does dolan like spurs? i wanted him to lambaste their signings as being overrated noobs, yet dolan is having some sort of tottenham love in....not impressed fat pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Spurs getting tonked by 5 or so goals would probably be good for them. With their premiership woes, they don't need the distraction of European football (Middlesboro anyone). Such a result would probably be the final straw that would see some sort of action taken at the club.

They so badly need a jolt in them right now.

Oh, and I got stick for saying a few weeks that £8 million was mad money for Gomes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Robinson has been splendid. He has been in contention for the MoM in almost every game he has played this season. His confidence is up now, kinda reminds me of when Friedel first arrived at Rovers, a lot of people were doubting his ability to do the job but after a few games he showed how good he was and everyone got behind him and he never looked back.

why does dolan like spurs? i wanted him to lambaste their signings as being overrated noobs, yet dolan is having some sort of tottenham love in....not impressed fat pat.

When the match commentator was wondering during the game who Spurs would get to replace Ramos if he left, there was a short little pause before Dolan replied that there would be lots of applicants for the job. I wonder if Pat was imagining himself there:eek: At least he wouldnt be in the Setanta Studio so much - I'm beginning to think he lives there.

Having seen Gomes incident again I suppose a yellow was probably the correct decision but for the sheer godawful stupidity of it I would have considered giving him a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Brian Little is a very odd looking tanned grey colour these days. That cant be healthy.

When the match commentator was wondering during the game who Spurs would get to replace Ramos if he left, there was a short little pause before Dolan replied that there would be lots of applicants for the job. I wonder if Pat was imagining himself there:eek: At least he wouldnt be in the Setanta Studio so much - I'm beginning to think he lives there.

Having seen Gomes incident again I suppose a yellow was probably the correct decision but for the sheer godawful stupidity of it I would have considered giving him a red.
    If refs started given reds for stupidity of players there wouldnt be many left on the field!! :pac:

Modric on for the second half.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Brian Little is a very odd looking tanned grey colour these days. That cant be healthy.

Well spotted - looked rather bizarre

Modric on was a bit of a no-brainer - seems like a game perfectly suite to him

What a dope...

Thought the ref could have been abit more lienient tbh. Harsh sending off imo.

Was a bit harsh, silly challenge by O'Hara though after just getting booked

Yeah probably just edging into harsh territority but daftness by O'Hara.

Poorish game.

Who was that in the tunnel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Great comedy on show tonight:D

Very stupid by O'Hara but a strict warning by the ref saying no more fouls like that or his off would have sufficed imo.

I think it was Ekotto in the tunnel on his phone.

If Udinese score next its over.
    However if spuds grab the next goal I dont think Udinese will win it.
    Have a feeling Dos Santos will score...

I think it was Ekotto in the tunnel on his phone.

Cheers - was looking at the original subs list and couldnt figure it.

• Advertisement

More butter fingers there from Gomes - eek

The worrying thing for Spurs is that Udinese (Di Natale apart) look a pretty limited side.

I thought your man Sanchez on the right was fairly handy.
    He was always chasing back and seemed to really want the ball all the time

I thought your man Sanchez on the right was fairly handy.
    He was always chasing back and seemed to really want the ball all the time

Yeah fair enough he's had a decent game but as Dolan said there is an air of workmanlike about Udinese. Would be very surprised if Udinese managed to do anything special in the UEFA Cup.

Comedy Capers defending there for the second.

Yeah fair enough he's had a decent game but as Dolan said there is an air of workmanlike about Udinese. Would be very surprised if Udinese managed to do anything special in the UEFA Cup.

Comedy Capers defending there for the second.

Yeah I dont think they'll go too far tbh. Probably make it out of the group (tbh I can see beyond a Sevilla/AC final, assumig they dont meet before then)

Villa 1-0 Ajax.

Shocking goalkeeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Villa 1-0 Ajax.

Shocking goalkeeping.

No it wasn't, was just a quality move :cool:

• Advertisement

Anyone watching the Spurs match, was it not Di Natale who passed to Pepe for the second goal?

Sevilla 2 - 0 Stuttgart
    Romaric
    Renato

AC 2 - 0 Heerenveen
    Inzaghi
    Gattuso

Onkle wrote: »
    No it wasn't, was just a quality move :cool:

No, it really was.

Anyone watching the Spurs match, was it not Di Natale who passed to Pepe for the second goal?

Yeah pretty sure it was DiNatale

1-1...get in.

Yeah pretty sure it was DiNatale

Yeah thats what I thought aswell.

*wanders off complaining about D'Agostino getting the assist points in the FF*

• Advertisement

Twas shocking defending for the Villa goal - ffs allowing Laursen run unmarked from deep for a corner = poor play by defenders. Keeper didnt cover himself in glory either but if the defenders had done their job and tracked Laursen he wouldnt have been so exposed. Even if he had stayed on his line and not come Laursen would still have been odds on to score. I'm not saying the keeper did well, just that the goal wasnt completely his fault. .

1-1 - Huntelaar powerful header from corner - Eek - Free header no one marking him. You'd think Villa would be wise to this.

Just to illustrate my point - see how little chance Friedel had to do anything when he stayed on his line.

This game has been about 1000% better than the Spurs game so far.

Anyone know why Carew is not playing? Is he injured? Is it serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dolan's an idiot. He was having a go at Trappatoni (or Trappaphony as he calls him :rolleyes:) in his newspaper column recently about not learning enough english, even though Trap is clearly able to communicate, yet after a Spurs match recently when the co-presenter (Dempsey I think) said there was pressure on Ramos because he couldn't communicate, Dolan said tha was rubbish and that it shouldn't be a problem. I think he just likes to have a different opinion to everyone else TBH.

Think he has a virus or something. Not 100% on that though

Twas shocking defending for the Villa goal - ffs allowing Laursen run unmarked from deep for a corner = poor play by defenders. Keeper didnt cover himself in glory either but if the defenders had done their job and tracked Laursen he wouldnt have been so exposed. Even if he had stayed on his line and not come Laursen would still have been odds on to score. I'm not saying the keeper did well, just that the goal wasnt completely his fault. .

1-1 - Huntelaar powerful header from corner - Eek - Free header no one marking him. You'd think Villa would be wise to this.

Just to illustrate my point - see how little chance Friedel had to do anything when he stayed on his line.

This game has been about 1000% better than the Spurs game so far.

If he'd stayed on his line and been buried then fair enough, but running out like a tool and jumping behind the player heading the ball is just bad goalkeeping.

the thing is i would have thought spurs would be ripe for some dolan criticism, but he did make some fair points I will say, first of all how you can't expect youngsters like Bale(WHO was absolutely shocking) to keep his head up in these sort of times, and that Spurs need leaders, or something to that effect.

he also was right about modric, i am not the guys biggest fan but when he came on he really tried to get his foot on the ball and get tottenham back in the game.

Should have been 2-1 for Villa there. Great header back across the box by Laursen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Nice finish by Barry just before half time

Abonglahor my MoTM so far. He hasn't really had much of an attacking impact but for a striker playing up front on his own he is doing an outstanding job of hassling the defense. Great work ethic

If he'd stayed on his line and been buried then fair enough, but running out like a tool and jumping behind the player heading the ball is just bad goalkeeping.

The thing was he didnt have to come a huge distance and he wasnt that far off getting the ball. For sure it wasn't great goalkepping but I think it's a bit harsh to say it was shocking keeping. If his defenders had managed to slow up Laursen's run any reasonable amount he would have had a decent shot of winning the ball.
    Think he has a virus or something. Not 100% on that though

Cheers - commentator kinda mentioned something at one stage about them not wanting to risk him so I presume he should be back from Sunday (and my fantasy football team.)

Ashley Young is murdering the Ajax right back. Villa have started the second half well and you'd have to say would be favourites to win this now.

From the BBC website
    Carew was left out as he has been ill in the last few days. It can't be that serious as he was seen chatting to a young blonde in the stands in the opening half.

• Advertisement
Advertisement