Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Complete collection of Road Signs?

Options
  • 23-10-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get this?

The RSA Rules of the Road only covers a fraction of the signs that come up in the test.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

any student accomadation should have a complete set:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

This is the best I've found so far.

http://www.irish-insight.com/irish_roadsigns.html

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

Not sure that I agree that the RSA book only covers a 'fraction' of the road signs! Are you sure you have the latest version?

They are available online also at :

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/understanding-traffic-signs/index.html

I know there may be slight variations in the ones they use for the test (for example I believe the Hospital Ahead sign is 50m not 100m as in the RSA list, maybe some juctions go left instead of right etc) but if you know the RSA published signs you should have no problems.

One other point to remember is that you need know all types of signs including the 'Information signs', some people just review the regulatory and warning signs and then get caught out by the other ones.

Declan.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

all the signs the hand book came up in my test, are you sure about this information?

There are about 5 pages of road signs in the RSA Handbook and they only test on a fraction of these

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The rsa book does cover all the road signs you need. As asked, do you have the most recent edition? There's a link to the online edition in the stickies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zamboni wrote: »
    The RSA Rules of the Road only covers a fraction of the signs that come up in the test.
    :confused: There are 250 signs displayed in the Rules of the Road! How many more do you need?

(They'll only ask you about 10 of them at the most).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wicklow joe

You are asked 12 questions on the signs, 6 warning and 6 regulatory, The warning signs are always asked first, send me your email address by pm and i will send you a copy of the sign sheet they show on the test.

You are asked 12 questions on the signs, 6 warning and 6 regulatory,

This is not correct.

It is definitely possible that you will be asked some of the information signs - motorway signs, the hospital sign comes up quite a bit.

Best advice is to know all of the signs - you are going to need to know them anyway if you intend to be driving :)

Recommendation to the testers is to ask 18 questions as part of the oral test of which 10 will be road signs and 8 rules of the road questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wicklow joe

it is correct ( the hospital sign is on the regulatory side of the sign sheet). its 6 questions on each side. and then six rules of the road questions, They must ask you a question under the following headings, 1) traffic lights,2) pedestrian crossing 3) road markings 4) vecihle lightning 5) right of way 6) is an other?.i know sgs like asking about overtaking on the left.

The fact that the sheet used by the testers may have the Hospital sign on the same page as the regulatory sign does not make it a regulatory sign. Regulatory signs give drivers instructions or directions that they must obey. These are mainly the circular red and white signs (No Parking, No Overtaking etc), also include STOP and Yield as well as some of the blue and white signs indicating that you must for turn left or right etc.

The Hospital sign is very definitely an Information Sign.

The main point I'm making is that people going for the driving test should study the complete set of road signs and telling people that only regulatory and warning signs come up is very misleading. If you dont have a copy of the tester sheet and only study ROTR regulatory and warning signs you would miss whole sections of signs.

As for the topics to be covered in the oral test, the full list is :

a. Pedestrian Crossings,
    b. Traffic Lights,
    c. Headlights (dipping),
    d. Road Markings,
    e. Right of Way
    f. Road Signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DriveSkill wrote: »
    the hospital sign comes up quite a bit
    As does the Clearway sign.