Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAO Barcelona Fans

• 23-10-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Would anyone like to bring me up to speed with the latest goings on? Obviously noticed the result last night and It only hit me for the first time that I've already noticed a lot of new youth players in the team, which must of been a product of bringing Guardiola in as manager, a move I applaud.

Haven't seen any of the games this season only the goals. Who, out of the influx of youth players into the first team should we be keeping an eye on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That young fella in midfield is playin some lovely stuff and looks the part. Wears number 6 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That young fella in midfield is playin some lovely stuff and looks the part. Wears number 6 ;)

Nah that lads muck, couldn't kick snow off a rope...

I reckon Bojan to be big, I was surprised they sold Dos Santos tbh, I think he's a cracking player, too bad of his choice of clubs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Bojan and Dos Santos really broke into the team last season under Rijkard... Both had really good displays and very impressive along with Messi.

I too was quite surprised when Dos Santos left as I was quite impressed with him, but he obviously thought he would get more football elsewhere and I suppose with Messi effectively playing in the same position, Messi would generally get the nod in my book anyway.

A couple of the newer faces I have only seen this season. Victor Sanchez and Busquets (I remember his Dad playing in goal for Barca...) look like decent players. Pique we only saw brief glimpses of at Man Utd, but overall he looks quality and his stint in England has definitely given him that bit of steel that is needed for a centre back..

Nice to see these few players being blooded this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

On Sky last night Jamie the Genuis said he just happened to be casually talking to a certain Icelandic player of FCB's who said they have to turn up on time for training now. And now they're a great team again and everyone lives happily ever after. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dos santos, apart from his last game for Barca where he scored a hat trick, never really impressed me. Far too lightweight. Very surprised to see him move to the Premiership though as I reckon he will make zero impact whatsoever.

So far, from what I have seen of Busquets, he looks a decent player. Ready to get stuck in, always looking for the ball. One major flaw is his theatrics when tackled. Certainly will be a great player if his potential is fulfilled.

Bojan looks like he will be an incredible player. Despite playing very poor last night, he still bagged two and really should have scored three. I like how he is being used as well, not first choice but still seeing game time from the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

armour87 wrote: »
    Would anyone like to bring me up to speed with the latest goings on? Obviously noticed the result last night and It only hit me for the first time that I've already noticed a lot of new youth players in the team, which must of been a product of bringing Guardiola in as manager, a move I applaud.

Haven't seen any of the games this season only the goals. Who, out of the influx of youth players into the first team should we be keeping an eye on?

Since Guardiola was the coach of the B-team last season, he decided he would promote 7 players into the 1st team ranks and slowly initiate them. Barca now have so many La Masia products in the team. Sanchez, Busquets, Pedro, Valdes, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Bojan and Pique are all from the youth system. I can't think of any top team that has that many youth products in their squad.

Busquets and Sanchez are both seen as defensive midfielders who are good on the ball. Both have very nice bits of skill, but Busquets tends to make quite alot of rash tackles and gets yellow carded regularly. However given experience they will both blossom in La Liga.

Pedro is a classy winger, he has a nice first touch, a good shot on him and can cross the ball nicely, played excellently towards the start of the season but hasn't featured much recently. The people that Guardiola have brought in have also been very effective, Keita has done a job in midfield for the team. Pique has honestly been excellent, he has had about 8 starts and has showed excellent leadership qualities. He is prone to lapses in concentration but he is definitely going to take over the role of Carles Puyol in the team over the next few years.

Gio Dos Santos was incredibly disappointing last season, he was ridiculously selfish at times and only scored 3 goals in the league, all scored in a last matchday hat-trick. The kid wanted first team football, and that's something he couldn't be guaranteed at Barca with the likes of Messi ahead of him. He also couldn't take not being seen as the emerging star due to Messi and Bojan being the fans favourites.

So if you were to look out for emerging talent in the Barca team, Pique has been the most impressive, and will be an excellent defender one day, but talent wise, I think Bojan is probably the winner. His first goal last night was excellent, a driven shot into the bottom corner from outside the box, if Rooney had done that people would be salivating, it was a lovely strike.

Barca have scored 28 goals in their last 8 games, all of which have been wins. Hopefully we can go on and replicate the unbeaten run of something like 16 games back when we retained the liga in 05/06.

The future's bright for Barca, but Guardiola has alot to learn, I'm just happy to see progress, even if at the end of the season it doesn't bring silverware. Although I really want the Copa Del Rey, I can't really remember the occasion when we last won it in 98.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

gimmick wrote: »
    Dos santos, apart from his last game for Barca where he scored a hat trick, never really impressed me. Far too lightweight. Very surprised to see him move to the Premiership though as I reckon he will make zero impact whatsoever.

I really do rate him very highly.
    I reckon he could have done well if he had have gone to any club other than spurs...
    Although I would say that he is more suited to the Spanish football style...
    Him and Vela to set the WC on fire with Mexico!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Also, another important thing that Guardiola has introduced to the team is rotation. Benitez is right to rotate, it's just that he didn't have the match changing quality on the bench. Barcelona basically have 2 different front lines, 3 different midfields and 3 different defenses, all of which are very effective. Hopefully the team will be able to challenge on all fronts this season.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I really do rate him very highly.
    I reckon he could have done well if he had have gone to any club other than spurs...
    Although I would say that he is more suited to the Spanish football style...
    Him and Vela to set the WC on fire with Mexico!

Obviously he is a skillful player, but he has a ego like Ronaldinho, despite achieving NOTHING. The last thing Guardiola and Barcelona needed was an egotistical 18 year old when they were trying to instill a new mentality in the team.

Had to go. Plus, he was definitely overrated.

Advertisement