Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear Sarkozy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah dont't listen to that windbag....sure the rest of the EU are happy enough with it......

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

Most of Sarkozy's speech can , I think, be found on finfacts.ie
    The self-congratulatory tone was, to me, off-putting but the europarl gave Sarkozy a big cheer (as they did to Tony Blair). Ireland was the only european partner about whom the President had anything negative to say. Since the Irish bank guarantee there has been put in place a 'hotline' for finance ministers, so that they don't have to take actions without consulting... someone, on the end of a phone.
    It certainly looks as if the days when Ireland received sympathy from the Franco-German powerhouse of the EU are over (for now). The focus has shifted east-as far east as Georgia. Recently I've felt Cowan and co are being treated as part of the euro middle-management. It's their job to deliver compliance with a euro-vision formulated elsewhere; and if they don't meet their objectives , and on time; it's someone's feet into the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Most of Sarkozy's speech can , I think, be found on finfacts.ie
    The self-congratulatory tone was, to me, off-putting but the europarl gave Sarkozy a big cheer (as they did to Tony Blair). Ireland was the only european partner about whom the President had anything negative to say. Since the Irish bank guarantee there has been put in place a 'hotline' for finance ministers, so that they don't have to take actions without consulting... someone, on the end of a phone.
    It certainly looks as if the days when Ireland received sympathy from the Franco-German powerhouse of the EU are over (for now). The focus has shifted east-as far east as Georgia. Recently I've felt Cowan and co are being treated as part of the euro middle-management. It's their job to deliver compliance with a euro-vision formulated elsewhere; and if they don't meet their objectives , and on time; it's someone's feet into the fire.

That may be true, so long as you ignore the huge role we played in the negotiations of the last big treaty, i.e. Lisbon. We are only 4 million of nearly 500 million though you must remember, we can't have it all our way all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I find amusing is not that Sarkozy has these opinions, it's Sarkozy, its that people think his opinions are important. Franco-German partnership is not at the core of the EU, and has not been for nearly 20 years. Hell the partnership isn't that strong anymore. The EU isn't about the Franco-German arragement anymore.

Sarkozy does not equal the EU. France does not equal the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PHB wrote: »
    What I find amusing is not that Sarkozy has these opinions, it's Sarkozy, its that people think his opinions are important. Franco-German partnership is not at the core of the EU, and has not been for nearly 20 years. Hell the partnership isn't that strong anymore. The EU isn't about the Franco-German arragement anymore.

Sarkozy does not equal the EU. France does not equal the EU.

One increasingly gets the feeling that Sarkozy does not always equal France, or even his own government.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

"Soundbite" Sarkozy can get lost. We are a very easy target here and Sarkozy is just making political capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah dont't listen to that windbag....sure the rest of the EU are happy enough with it......

:eek: This is our great leader you are speaking about ... shame on you ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sarkozy is full of it.
    If he is not grinning but quietly bullying us over one thing, it is bloomin' another.
    I'm sick of him and his European so called allies pushing us around. Sick of it!

Is this what we have more of to expect and look forwards to, as we are forced by Cowan into losing our individuality as a separate state!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

dlofnep wrote: »
    I would have thought a crisis in the European financial system would be "his business"?

Besides, what he actually said was (from your link) "I believe the crisis calls upon us to reform the European institutions..."

Ooooohhh, how sinister :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Didn't the French vote no to "reforming European institutions" before? I also think they have the closest Yes vote in EU referenda history too. Sarkozy is a spin doctor as bad as Blair ever was.

Advertisement