Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Censorship stiffling debate on Donegal boards

Options
  • 23-10-2008 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

My thread below on the Donegal boards was locked. I feel this is nothing other than censorship and/or bad editing. Any comments?

Muffler overreacting in defence of auctioneers?
    Cant believe Muffler's complete and utter two footed over the top, overreaction to the thread about auctioneers.
    I didn't think the author of the thread had an "attitude" at all. Quite the opposite actually, he didn't name any auctioneer that I could see and was simply asking a very pertinent question.
    Maybe Muffler is an auctioneer/developer himself?
    Been a while since I seen a proper debate/thread on the Boards and this latest attack by Muffler is not going to help matters..

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Can you post a link to what you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Can you post a link to what you are talking about?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055404298

And my other thread directing people to this thread has been locked too:rolleyes:

That thread was locked and you were instructed to take your complaint elsewhere.
    That is the correct proceedure.
    In this instance, he acted correctly as a Mod by closing that thread.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    That thread was locked and you were instructed to take your complaint elsewhere.
    That is the correct proceedure.
    In this instance, he acted correctly as a Mod by closing that thread.

Maybe you can get me an explanation as to why it was locked seeing that I can't get one.

:confused:

Does my explaination above not cover that question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

donegalboy wrote: »
    My thread below on the Donegal boards was locked. I feel this is nothing other than censorship and/or bad editing. Any comments?
    Your thread was closed because the moderation of the forum should be discussed here or in the feedback forum, not in that forum. That's why, so that explains that for you.
    Muffler overreacting in defence of auctioneers?
    Cant believe Muffler's complete and utter two footed over the top, overreaction to the thread about auctioneers.
    I didn't think the author of the thread had an "attitude" at all. Quite the opposite actually, he didn't name any auctioneer that I could see and was simply asking a very pertinent question.
    He did, so therefore you must agree with his stance on naming particular auctioneers if you are bringing that up. He edited the business name.
    Maybe Muffler is an auctioneer/developer himself?
    Maybe you are? Are you? Maybe you are a policeman or a callcentre worker or maybe you are a bridge builder? All the possibilities.
    Been a while since I seen a proper debate/thread on the Boards and this latest attack by Muffler is not going to help matters..
    Attack? Please explain. Are you attacking muffler?

Gordon wrote: »
    Your thread was closed because the moderation of the forum should be discussed here or in the feedback forum, not in that forum. That's why, so that explains that for you.

Muffler doesn't seem to want to discuss it or anything, anywhere.

He did, so therefore you must agree with his stance on naming particular auctioneers if you are bringing that up. He edited the business name.

Maybe you are? Are you? Maybe you are a policeman or a callcentre worker or maybe you are a bridge builder? All the possibilities.
    Attack? Please explain. Are you attacking muffler?

You are trying to be smart now and you are missing the point. If Muffler is a developer/auctioneer and locks posts that question same then he has a vested interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why all the fuss about another user’s thread? Was this something that you wanted debated so as to include the feedback in your little newspaper? ;) Now you have made some wild allegations here so let me set the record straight.

md23040 started a thread about the inflated prices of property in Donegal. I have deleted the name of the firm and the town but this was the thread title
    XXX Skulks to the Back Alleys of XXXX
    . Would you have included that as a headline on the front page of your little paper? (tabloid) In a follow up post he proceeded to describe the location of the premises which I also deleted. I asked him why he named the individual firm but he did not answer the question.

When I went to edit the thread title I discovered that the OP had already done so. I wasn’t prepared to allow an individual firm of auctioneers to be named and used as a reason or part of the reason why there was a problem with properties prices in Donegal so I did a bit of editing of the content of the posts and locked the thread. Myself and the OP subsequently exchanged PMs and kissed and cuddled and strangely I don’t see a complaint from the OP here.

Now you arrived on the midnight stagecoach into town and missed all the action (including the editing) so you decided you would query my right to lock a thread without knowing the facts. As advised you took the matter up here (eventually) while having the audacity to start a second thread looking for support of your cause (which I haven’t figured out yet). Now does that answer all your questions?

I am more than happy for you to start another thread on the same topic (about property prices in Donegal) but without naming individuals or firms.

Oh it’s a bit rich of you to accuse me of “Censorship stiffling debate on Donegal boards”. You will recall that you asked me sometime ago if it was OK to start a thread about
    donegalboy wrote:
    planning corruption as part of ongoing research in to this common practice in Donegal??
    and I told you yes but just be careful with the content. After waiting almost 2 months I had to start the thread myself.

Finally I can categorically state that I am not an auctioneer or a developer. :)

Finally, a reply:eek:
    Maybe if you had replied as quick as you were to lock threads then there might not have been any fuss at all. The second thread was posted because you ignored the first one and my subsequent PM.
    And, no need to be a smart arse with your replies.
    And no, I would never base an article on unsubstantiated, anonymous and libelous claims that are posted on boards.ie or any other blog/discussion group on the internet.
    Oh and I suppose you would be annoyed if had the "audacity" to complain that your are posting contents of so called 'Private Messages' on the notice board/helpdesk!.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭muffler

donegalboy wrote: »
    And no, I would never base an article on unsubstantiated, anonymous and libelous claims that are posted on boards.ie or any other blog/discussion group on the internet.
    But you feel that its OK for the same claims (with names included) to be posted on borads.ie?

The help desk is where you take your complaint which is then dealt with by Smods and you received appropriate replies from them. Your complaint was about me and therefore my input was not initially required or requested.

I asked for and got permission to post here as I felt there were a couple of points that needed clarifying. My last post fully summerised the events leading up to this thread. There is nothing more I can add.

And just for the record you didn't PM me as you claimed and from the content of your last post it appears that no amount of explanation will be sufficient for you.

I have said all that needs to be said and the Smods can decide if the matter is now concluded.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    But you feel that its OK for the same claims (with names included) to be posted on borads.ie?

The help desk is where you take your complaint which is then dealt with by Smods and you received appropriate replies from them. Your complaint was about me and therefore my input was not initially required or requested.

I asked for and got permission to post here as I felt there were a couple of points that needed clarifying. My last post fully summerised the events leading up to this thread. There is nothing more I can add.

And just for the record you didn't PM me as you claimed and from the content of your last post it appears that no amount of explanation will be sufficient for you.

I have said all that needs to be said and the Smods can decide if the matter is now concluded.

W h a t e v e r:rolleyes: ;)
    Well nothing like a good rant!

Advertisement