Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone ISP data pricing

Options
  • 23-10-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Seems that Vodafone have significant reduced the cost of accessing their isp apn. The new rate is 19cents per megabyte.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

There doesn’t seem to be any change for bill pay prepay info below looks like 3 have a bit of catching up to do...

Prepay:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/prepay/other/
    Data services (GPRS and the Internet)
    The mobile internet pricing above is recommended for all customers and is the default charging on all prepaid handsets we sell. This charging is through the Vodafone Live! Connection point (APN) which adapts websites for mobile viewing.

However, some advanced users may wish to use our ISP connection point. This connection point does not adapt websites for the best mobile viewing. Users of phone as a modem, data telemetry devices or other non-Vodafone internet devices with a prepaid SIM card may prefer to use this connection point. Pricing is on a per-KB basis rather than on a per-minute basis. That means you'll be charged on the amount of information (data) you send and/or receive, not on how long your call lasts. All data traffic through the ISP APN is charged at 19c per MB on Prepaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

http://www.vodafone.ie/vlive/costs/ still shows the 99c per day for 50mb offer (with prepaid paying 2c per kb after that, and postpaid can do a 500mb bundle for 10yoyos, the equivalent of 2c per mb).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

Thats if you use the Live APN read my post above this is for the ISP APN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

That's great.:) but what about in roaming? I guess it's not as good as with the Live APN, where it is 99c per day wherever in the world you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just got wind of this today so not sure of the finer details unfortunately. Thought some of ye would appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Great price change the 19c per MB. Very happy with that. Hope it applys to roaming too because if it does I'll be on Vodafone like a light .. if it doesn't it's still a great offer but won't appeal to me as much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Very tempting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭partypiper

so if you downloaded 500mb you know using joikuspot browsing it would cost about 95euro.

no that great a deal

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

partypiper wrote: »
    so if you downloaded 500mb you know using joikuspot browsing it would cost about 95euro.

no that great a deal

Yes it is.

It is very good for people who do a small amount of browsing each day.

partypiper wrote: »

no that great a deal

It would have cost you about 2000 euro previously..

Some people never look at the positives..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

It would have cost you about 2000 euro previously..

Some people never look at the positives..

Sorry, don't mean to come across as harsh here but.... the current Vodafone ISP "promo" price is 1GB (1024MB) per month for eur 9.99.
    How then is 19c per MB (unbundled) reasonable, even for light users?
    The "benefit" in this day and age seemingly is for PAYG users but the new data price is still criminal IMHO. And their previous price was simply a joke to begin with, a remnant from the distant past.
    I don't see why Vodafone should be applauded for finally getting off their arse and opening up the ISP apn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but using the unbridled ISP access point is beneficial mainly for data intensive applications.... applications often blocked and/or inoperable using the live! apn.
    If you veer away from "mobile ready" sites and the uses offered by the ISP apn, you'll rack up the megabytes fairly quickly.
    Am I missing something crucial, besides PAYG benefits?

You can't get the one gig on payg...

quintron wrote: »
    Sorry, don't mean to come across as harsh here but.... the current Vodafone ISP "promo" price is 1GB (1024MB) per month for eur 9.99.
    The "benefit" in this day and age seemingly is for PAYG users but the new data price is still criminal IMHO. And their previous price was simply a joke to begin with, a remnant from the distant past.
    I don't see why Vodafone should be applauded for finally getting off their arse and opening up the ISP apn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but using the unbridled ISP access point is beneficial mainly for data intensive applications.... applications often blocked and/or inoperable using the live! apn.
    If you veer away from "mobile ready" sites and the uses offered by the ISP apn, you'll rack up the megabytes fairly quickly.

I have has some pretty strong opinions on the topic for quite sometime so I understand where you are coming from.

Saying that, I am pretty certain that quite a few here will be happy to see the drop in charges and just wanted to give them the heads up.

It isn't pefect but it is a lot lot better than what it was previously.

@ flodis, fair enough, I wasn't aware of that.
    @ jesus_thats_gre, duly noted. It's a step I suppose.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm terrible confused Ted.

Two questions for you Vodaphone experts:

1. I have just connected from my laptop via Bluetooth to my Samsung F480 and surprised myself by finding it was happy to act as a "modem" and gave me nice fast access to the internet. I dont have any ISP-style agreement but I am on their Bill Pay 600 deal... any idea what I'm paying a Mb? Any way to cap this so I dont go broke?

2. The phone (all shiny and new) has a nice browser on it. Do I pay the same rate as above when I connect to m.boards.ie?

DeV.

What Access Point are you connecting with "Vodafone Live!" or "Vodafone ISP"?

If Vodafone Live! then its 99c up to 50MB per day; I don't know what it is after that and I'm not even sure you can use that particular APN as a modem. I suspect not though could someone else please confirm if possible.

If Vodafone ISP, then as OP pointed out its, 19c per MB. But surfing regular webpages via your laptop will rack up the MB fairly quickly and without watching how much data you download/upload you will end up with a nasty bill.
    Say you spent about 2 - 3 hours surfing regular webpages, forums etc, various windows open (don't even think about an afternoons you tube!) you should expect to go though 80 MB conservatively which equates to eur 15.20 @ 19c per MB.

You should check on online on your vodafone.ie bill (there is a link to see what has been billed to your account but not yet put on to your bill) to see what they have charged you thus far.

2 - On your phone you will be charged for whatever data you download, so again, 19c per MB but here on your phone if you visit m.boards.ie or any .mobi site, or other mobile optimised site you can expect to get a lot further for your MB. Its about 50kb to load the mobile version of boards (I think!) so very roughly 1/20th of a MB for the initial load of the linked page and similarish every other page refresh or new link/post that you open.. (this is only a rough guide..). This can be further optimised by using a browser that strips out a lot of unnecessary stuff and optimises text and images by using a proxy server such as Opera Mini. (I don't know anything about the browser on teh Tocco).
    Opera's browser is your best bet for condensing/conserving data exchanges via your operator.

Best bet, call vodafone and ask for the Vodafone ISP Promo for 1GB of Data per month for eur9.99. It rolls over and is cheaper in the long run if you want to access your data on the go.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

He's have to be using the .isp access point, right? .live!-ap doesn't work as modem...at least for me :huh:

Is the minimum billing increment still 50kb on ISP?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm terrible confused Ted.

Two questions for you Vodaphone experts:

1. I have just connected from my laptop via Bluetooth to my Samsung F480 and surprised myself by finding it was happy to act as a "modem" and gave me nice fast access to the internet. I dont have any ISP-style agreement but I am on their Bill Pay 600 deal... any idea what I'm paying a Mb? Any way to cap this so I dont go broke?

2. The phone (all shiny and new) has a nice browser on it. Do I pay the same rate as above when I connect to m.boards.ie?

DeV.
    1. No. This flat rate is for ready to go only. With bill pay there's a bundle you can buy. It's 1gb for €9.99. If you haven't got this bundle your bill might not look too pretty!

2. It depends. In theory, no. Vodafone have a mobile internet pricing (i.e. viewing the internet on your mobile) of 99c per day (with a 50mb cap). This is the default connection/pricing and it adapts pages for mobile viewing. However, you can change your connection settings to the ISP connection point and that will eat out of the bundle referred to above.

As for the price dop in general, sounds good! Is this the cheapest payg rate on the market now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Not the cheapest, 3 have 1GB/month for a tenner. Bless their hearts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

That's for the Live! APN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Yes you are a bit. Im on the tenner a month option but i dont use anything close to 500mb a month only use a few as i dont be using it every day and when i do its mainly for bebo or facebook or a google search. So for me i would be able to cancel my 500mb package which dosnt even let me use the sky app or msn and switch to paying per mb and having open access. And if i the odd day im using it allot i could use the live connection and pay 50c. So my internet bill will be a few euro at most rather than 10€.

Now comes the BUT, its still too expensive but at least its a step in the right direction.

testicle wrote: »
    That's for the Live! APN
    Er no, its not. Its the ISP apn. I switched from the Live! apn 2 months ago. See this thread on the board re the ISP promo price data bundle.

@Kristok, it sounds perfect for you and indeed many others I'm sure. I'm not knocking that at all.
    My concern is for people who will (unintentionally or otherwise) use data more using the per MB rate as the ISP apn is essentially unbridled and consequently these people could end up with a nasty bill.
    However, if you monitor it carefully and know which apn to use, then you control it. In my experience a lot of people just don't think like that though.
    Personally, I like having access to you tube, mail, net, rss, and other programs that automatically connect and update data without having to worry if I'm going to get shafted with a big bill at the end of the month.
    The 1GB ISP promo plan @ 9.99, for me, is as close to unlimited data PM at what I consider a reasonable price, meaning I don't have to worry about it, and, consequently I would advise that option (or similar bundle) for people who don't want to constantly monitor their data access through their networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

ISP 1GB promo is great, and the data rolls over ever month :D

€10 can't go wrong considering if you use 1GB with the new price scheme and no bundle it costs €190!. I think you may have to ring them up to get it though as someone said it has vanished from the website?

Kristok, testicle & quintron: Just be careful there before changing bundles etc. The €9.99 bundles are for the live or the ISP (there's one for each), but they are both for bill pay. As some have pointed out, this is a fair bit cheaper (if you use most/all of the bundle)

There is no monthly bundle for prepay - for either live or isp. This price of 19c/mb is for prepay only.

AFAIK the old rate per kb/mb still applies for bill pay if you don't have the bundle. I can't see any rate change for bill pay on vodafone.ie, but I haven't called customer care to check it out.

yes, bill pay.... I'm presuming the discussion has been one of bill pay since DeVores bill pay related question at the top of the page?
    Thanks for clarification though.

It was just this that made me think it might be helpful to raise that point:
    Kristok wrote:
    So for me i would be able to cancel my 500mb package which dosnt even let me use the sky app or msn and switch to paying per mb and having open access.

Does anyone know if there's a speed difference between the ISP and Live APNs? Has anyone tested it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Not sure about any speed difference, but you can use more apps on ISP than live so....

I use the isp and it can be very fast to very slow depending on where you are, signal strength, number of people on the mast etc etc

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thanks guys, I'll give them a ring and get that bundle before I blow my bank account :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Do Vodafone have any data bundles on Prrepay?

Thanks

Advertisement