Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone ISP data pricing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

no. It's 99c a day for up to 50mb on the live access point and 19c per mb on the isp one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

OK , I use about 50MB a month and spend a fortune on Live! using Opera Mini

well then you should use the isp access point where that'd cost you 9.50 a month. You just have to change the settings in your phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    well then you should use the isp access point where that'd cost you 9.50 a month. You just have to change the settings in your phone
    What he said.

Try the ISP settings here and see how they work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Watch out though, the usage of the ISP APN does not count towards the 500mb Mobile Internet bundle. You need the specific 1gb ISP Promo bundle.

I was mis-sold the 500mb bundle, but Vodafone have agreed to credit me and switch me to the 1gb ISP deal.

Per Vodafone, the LIVE APN and Mobile Internet 500mb bundle are only suitable for phones bought from them and using the Live! service.

You need to switch bundles, just changing the APN is not enough.

• Advertisement

Watch out though, the usage of the ISP APN does not count towards the 500mb Mobile Internet bundle. You need the specific 1gb ISP Promo bundle.

I was mis-sold the 500mb bundle, but Vodafone have agreed to credit me and switch me to the 1gb ISP deal.

Per Vodafone, the LIVE APN and Mobile Internet 500mb bundle are only suitable for phones bought from them and using the Live! service.

You need to switch bundles, just changing the APN is not enough.
    To clarify this ISP for 19c/MB is ONLY ON PREPAY. In this case bundles are not relevant.

Right ... mega confusion.

Vodafone are telling me it's only 19c per MB after a while. I first pay 2c per KB up to 512KB and then 0.5c per KB up to x (some amount they cannot clarify for me) and then the 19c per MB kicks in. This all has to be in the same session etc.

This essentially makes the ISP pricing useless as an alternative to the Live pricing.

The problem? My prepay balance doesn't seem to reflect this pricing. Also the Vodafone website - I can't find any mention of 2c anything.

Does anyone work for Vodafone that could clarify the pricing on the 19c/MB for me and how it is billed on prepay? Would be great if you could point me toward the relevant section of the Vodafone website whcih mentions 2c charges if these do apply.

Thanks

Random wrote: »
    Right ... mega confusion.

Vodafone are telling me it's only 19c per MB after a while. I first pay 2c per KB up to 512KB and then 0.5c per KB up to x (some amount they cannot clarify for me) and then the 19c per MB kicks in. This all has to be in the same session etc.

i'm thinking that they're wrong because it would make the isp access point completely useless for anything. why even mention a figure of 19c if you have to pay some unknown amount above €20 every time you connect before that rate applies? if you were to use it for internet access with a laptop every day it would cost you at least €600 a month before you even got near a 19c rate

edit:let me take this opportunity to talk you out of being on vodafone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

That's the postpaid pricing your were quoted. The step change is after the first 512kb in any given billing period. There's no such thing as a billing period on prepaid so just.... ignore all that!

Prepaid ISP rate is 19c/mb all day every day. It's at the bottom of their "other charges" page here - http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/prepay/other/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

failsafe wrote: »
    That's the postpaid pricing your were quoted. The step change is after the first 512kb in any given billing period. There's no such thing as a billing period on prepaid so just.... ignore all that!

Prepaid ISP rate is 19c/mb all day every day. It's at the bottom of their "other charges" page here - http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/prepay/other/

That's right, and it doesn't have to be in one session either, and it also applies when you use your prepay phone as a modem for your lappy...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Why did you decide to move to vodafone in the first place random?

that's what i thought too but it seems that's not what vodafone told him

I've read that but it really isn't as clear as it seems at first glance. I've also had 5 different answers from Vodafone.
    strecker wrote: »
    That's right, and it doesn't have to be in one session either, and it also applies when you use your prepay phone as a modem for your lappy...

So if I go on and use 10KB how much credit is deducted?
    jmccrohan wrote: »
    Why did you decide to move to vodafone in the first place random?

Me and Meteor didn't get along very well for a time. I don't know who to blame for the problem I had but it's solved by switching to Vodafone. So I'm gonna give this a bash for a short while. This ISP pricing also really attracted me as it would potentially save me bucket loads given I'm spending 99c a day on data with Meteor but mostly staying under a meg.

I'm gonna sit down later and try work it out myself by checking my credit before / after but it's a real pain not having a call history to compare against.

Thanks for the input lads ... I can see the website and it does seem very clear but please answer a couple of things then:
    1. if I download 400KB today and 600KB tomorrow how much will that cost me? Will it be 19c? Or will it be 2 sessions with a minimum cost of 19c? Or what?
    2. How much credit is deducted if I download 10KB of data?

1. if I download 400KB today and 600KB tomorrow how much will that cost me? Will it be 19c? Or will it be 2 sessions with a minimum cost of 19c? Or what?
    2. How much credit is deducted if I download 10KB of data?
    Assuming the website is accurate which i'm thinking more and more it is because the alternative seems ridiculous
    1. Sessions don't matter. You'd be paying for 1000kb, ie 19c

2. I think it's charged in 10kb increments. Can't remember where i heard that though. So i think 10kb would cost 0.19c

Edit:there is one way you could find out......

How do they bill you 0.19c (assuming you mean €00.0019 and that's not a typo)?

The website says Pricing is on a per-KB basis rather than on a per-minute basis - they don't mention minimum charges.

It's really mind-boggling ...

How do they bill you 0.19c (assuming you mean 00.0019 and that's not a typo)?

The website says Pricing is on a per-KB basis rather than on a per-minute basis - they don't mention minimum charges.

It's really mind-boggling ...
    well i know that the lucent Surepay charging system can charge to four decimal places for example, which would allow for a charge of 0.19c or e0.0019 as you put it (no it wasn't a typo)

Assuming the website is accurate which i'm thinking more and more it is because the alternative seems ridiculous
    1. Sessions don't matter. You'd be paying for 1000kb, ie 19c

2. I think it's charged in 10kb increments. Can't remember where i heard that though. So i think 10kb would cost 0.19c

Edit:there is one way you could find out......
    Correct for part 1 (i.e. 7.6c on day 1 and 11.4c on day 2)

But for part 2 I'm pretty sure it will charge you in increments lower than 19c. So fractions of a cent up until 60kb approx (i.e. 1c). So if you use 10kb sessions you wont see your balance move until you go below x.5c and it rounds down. Then you'd need to use another 10 x 10kb sessions before you see your balance move again.

EDIT: Just realised you said .19c instead of 19c. Which is what I understand to be true too. It's how all the networks do per second billing on phone calls: your balance is several decimal places, but it's just rounded off to to €€.cc when displayed to you.

I haven't tested that myself, but I'm almost certain that's how it works.

That's how I would assume it works from reading it .. but it all seems a little .. I don't know .. too good to be true then? And Vodafone are telling me the opposite ..

I would love a definite on this one :(

I would love a definite on this one :(

tbh the best way to do it would be:

type *174#

note credit

load a webpage of less than 10kb

close browser

type *174#

note credit

load a webpage of 10kb

close browser

type *174#

note credit

would you like sock puppets :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Anyone know if the vodafone isp settings can be configured on a nokia 6230 or do you have to ring vodafone to set it up?

• Advertisement

you just have to enter them, no need to call voda. I've posted a guide here a few times, i'll see if i can dig it up

sxt wrote: »
    Anyone know if the vodafone isp settings can be configured on a nokia 6230 or do you have to ring vodafone to set it up?
    From : http://www.vodafone.ie/helpsupport/phones/settings/
    # From the main menu select 'Settings' and then 'Configuration'
    # Scroll to 'Personal configuration settings', press Select
    # Press the Options Key
    # Scroll to 'Add new', press Select
    # Scroll to 'Web', press Select
    # Set 'Account name' name to "Vodafone ISP"
    # Set 'User name' to "vodafone" (all lowercase)
    # Set 'Password' to "vodafone" (all lowercase)
    # You will be asked to verify your password, enter "vodafone" again
    # Set 'Use preferred access point' to "No"
    # Scroll to Access point settings, press Select
    # Set 'Data bearer' to 'GPRS'
    # Scroll to Bearer settings, press Select
    # Set 'GPRS access point' to "isp.vodafone.ie"
    # Set 'Authentication type' to 'Normal'
    # Set 'User name' to "vodafone" (all lowercase)
    # Set 'Password' to "vodafone" (all lowercase)
    # You will be asked to verify your password, enter "vodafone" again
    # Press Back, Back, Back to return to 'Personal accts'
    # Scroll to 'Vodafone ISP', press Options
    # Scroll to 'Activate', press Select
    # Press Hang-Up key to return to idle mode
    # Press the Menu key
    # Scroll to 'Web', press Select
    # Scroll to 'Settings', press Select
    # Scroll to 'Configuration settings', press Select
    # Scroll to 'Configuration', press Select
    # Scroll to 'Personal config', press Select
    # Scroll to 'Account', press Select
    # Scroll to 'Vodafone ISP', press Select
    # Press Hang-Up key to return to idle mode

That should do the trick!

well i'm going to post mine anyway because i spent so long searching for it on my phone :P

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->web

account name: vodafone isp
    homepage:http://google.ie/pda
    username:vodafone
    password:vodafone
    use preferred access point:yes

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->access point

account name: vodafone isp apn
    go into access point settings
    data bearer:gprs
    go into bearer settings
    GPRS access point:isp.vodafone.ie
    authentication type:normal
    username:vodafone
    password:vodafone

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings

highlight vodafone isp and press options->activate
    then do the same for vodadone isp apn

settings->configuration->default configuration settings
    highlight vodafone isp and pres options->set as default

settings->configuration->activate default in all applications->yes

Well, I've just spend a while chatting to a helpful bloke in Vodafone who went off and checked with the data team etc etc and answered all my questions after checking the answers .. as opposed to making stuff up. Or so it seemed anyway.

He has agreed with what the website says after checking with data and pricing and stuff. 19c per MB. This is billed per KB. There is no minimum charge.

I shall be using this for a while I guess now to see how it goes and monitor my credit. It should work out cheaper than 99c/DAY on O2 / Meteor / Live.

I shall ring Vodafone tomorrow again and see if I can get the same answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Im thinking of moving over to vodafone prepay. Going to use it in a windows mobile phone.

For data i need to use the isp apn?

Does the data add on cover this apn or just the live apn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

snaps wrote: »
    Im thinking of moving over to vodafone prepay. Going to use it in a windows mobile phone.

For data i need to use the isp apn?

Does the data add on cover this apn or just the live apn?
    Aye, ISP is needed for everything that uses internet on your phone to work properly. The prepay broadband add-ons cover usage from the ISP/HS APN only. If you use LIVE, you will be charged extra.

Kensington wrote: »
    Aye, ISP is needed for everything that uses internet on your phone to work properly. The prepay broadband add-ons cover usage from the ISP/HS APN only. If you use LIVE, you will be charged extra.

Is there a definate data add on for Pre pay, been speaking with vodafone and they say no there is NO DATA ADD ON for prepay, i have to go bill pay at 30e a month.

Is there a definate data add on for Pre pay, been speaking with vodafone and they say no there is NO DATA ADD ON for prepay, i have to go bill pay at 30e a month.
    Unofficially, yes.
    Sign into your My Vodafone online.
    Click "View your current extras".
    Scroll down to "Domestic Mobile Broadband Extras".
    Click "Add", next to the "Monthly Broadband Add On" option.

It costs €20, and gives you 5GB to use over 30 days.

It will ONLY work on isp.vodafone.ie, or hs.vodafone.ie access points so make sure your phone is set to use either of these. LIVE will be charged extra on top of your add-on if you use it.

Kensington wrote: »
    Unofficially, yes.
    Sign into your My Vodafone online.
    Click "View your current extras".
    Scroll down to "Domestic Mobile Broadband Extras".
    Click "Add", next to the "Monthly Broadband Add On" option.

It costs €20, and gives you 5GB to use over 30 days.

It will ONLY work on isp.vodafone.ie, or hs.vodafone.ie access points so make sure your phone is set to use either of these. LIVE will be charged extra on top of your add-on if you use it.

Thank you for your answers.

Ok, What is vodafone 360 ive come across at 12.06e a month? Is this the same? Does this work with the isp apn?

If i have the isp apn settings and no add on do i get charged at the 99c a day rate or is that only for live?

Its a little confussing, thanks for your time and answers.

• Advertisement

Right:
    Ok, What is vodafone 360 ive come across at 12.06e a month?
    Vodafone 360 is like Vodafone's social networking service on a mobile phone handset. If you've a 360 compatible phone, and sign up and sync your handset with Vodafone, they currently charge you a daily rate of 39c and double the allowance to 100MB.
    Is this the same? Does this work with the isp apn?
    No (not the same as mobile broadband add-on).
    No - it uses the Vodafone LIVE APN only.
    If i have the isp apn settings and no add on do i get charged at the 99c a day rate or is that only for live?
    No. Both are charged seperately.
    Vodafone LIVE is covered by 39c/99c per day only.
    Vodafone ISP is charged at 19c/MB.

Advertisement