Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Won't *.pps work in Vista

• 23-10-2008 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have Office 2003 running on a laptop with XP and I can view my *.pps as slideshows no problem.
    But when I move the *.pps to my PC with Vista my *.pps files always open in edit mode instead of Slideshow mode. Also, the icon stays as a *.ppt instead of a *.pps icon.....:confused:

I've tried saving them in the correct way as .pps and also changing the file extension from .ppt to pps but neither works. I also checked the default file extension associations and they are all set to Powerpoint, which is correct.

Am I missing something stupid or am I loosing out because Vista cn't do the job.

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Doni-boi wrote: »
    I have Office 2003 running on a laptop with XP and I can view my *.pps as slideshows no problem.
    But when I move the *.pps to my PC with Vista my *.pps files always open in edit mode instead of Slideshow mode. Also, the icon stays as a *.ppt instead of a *.pps icon.....:confused:

I've tried saving them in the correct way as .pps and also changing the file extension from .ppt to pps but neither works. I also checked the default file extension associations and they are all set to Powerpoint, which is correct.

Am I missing something stupid or am I loosing out because Vista cn't do the job.

:confused::confused::confused:

Right click on the file and select 'Show' maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Doni-boi

I thought of that, but it's not an option when I right click.
    I'm begining to think that it's a "thing" between Powerpoint 2003 and Vista....

Sucess isn't vital, but it's totally anoying !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

It has nothing to do with Vista.

What version of Powerpoint do you have on the Laptop?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the full version of microsoft office costs more than an entry level laptop

so download powerpoint viewer from microsoft to view/print pps
    or
    get openoffice and be able to edit them too

It's the same version. In fact they were both installed from the same disk ???? Powerpoint 2003 SP3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Are you after copying over the correct file?

*.ppt is a power point template file. The actual thing you need to view is a .pps file. I find it highly unlikely that windows renames files when you copy them over.

You say the edit thing pops up, is that the file association manager? (open this with). What happens when you open power point and try file->open?

Have you tried it with ms power point viewer? (Available for free from microsoft.com) Have you tried it with Open Office Impress? (available from openoffice.org)

I created a small presentation from scratch and saved it as a *.pps file. Then when I double clicked to open it, it opened in edit mode with Powerpoint. I've checked the file associations and everything to do with PP is associated with POWERPNT.EXE

I also noticed that the icon for the presentation does not change to the correct icon for a *.pps file. It stays as the classic Powerpoint icon.

It's just becoming annoying now ! ! !

I created a small presentation from scratch and saved it as a *.pps file. Then when I double clicked to open it, it opened in edit mode with Powerpoint. I've checked the file associations and everything to do with PP is associated with POWERPNT.EXE

I also noticed that the icon for the presentation does not change to the correct icon for a *.pps file. It stays as the classic Powerpoint icon.

It's just becoming annoying now ! ! !

I have not used power point in a while, but I thought it ALWAYS opened in edit mode? You then have to start the presentation from the top menu.

A *.pps should open directly into a presentation. I still think that it's something to do with Vista. (I have no reason for this except, well, you know, "stuupiiid MS Vista...)

A *.pps should open directly into a presentation. I still think that it's something to do with Vista. (I have no reason for this except, well, you know, "stuupiiid MS Vista...)

Have you tried opening it in power point viewer? That can't edit files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

You will need to change your file associations.

*.ppt should be opened with PPTVIEW.EXE
    *.pps should be opened with POWERPNT.EXE

I think that is the right way around.

I have Office 2003 installed on Vista myself here though I rarely if ever use PowerPoint so don't have any files to check with.

Just take note of what the files are currently opened with. You will see it on the General Tab of the Properties of the file.

Advertisement