Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf (plus) Oil Light troubles

Options
  • 23-10-2008 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can help me out or I get the feeling I'll have to get VW to sort it which will probably be €€€€

I let the oil level in my car (Golf Plus, 1.6FSI) drop below the min (:o Bad Paddy I know, I thought it was ok the last time I checked...) and the "Check Oil level" (orange) warning light came on yesterday on my way into work. After work I drove to the garage (20min or so) and bought oil and topped it up.....

But the warning light is still on:mad:

When I stopped in the garage I only filled it until the oil was half way between the min and max on the dip stick, because I wasn't sure what the right level when the engine was hot - light didn't go off, but I assumed it would once I had the level OK with the engine cold. So I drove home.

Last night, I topped it up when cold, so the oil level is about 2mm below the max on the dip stick, but when I tried it last night the light was still on....
    (Manual says to check with a cold engine)

Light was still on this morning, and checked the level again - still about 2mm below the max on the dip stick.

So did I do some damage or is there something I need to do to reset the light (no mention in the manual of this) or is the sensor broken?

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

sometimes if you disconnect the battery and totally power down the car the sensors reset themselves .otherwise its atrip to the local garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be a faulty oil level sensor - I've seen quite of few of these fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Thanks guys - I might try the battery first when we get a break in the weather - otherwise I'll call into the VW garage and see what they have to say....

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Thanks for all the tips in the end time cured it. It went off on the way home this evening.

Paddy

• Advertisement
Advertisement