Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to read next???

Options
  • 23-10-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I'm really into reading, but my problem is I never know what to read next. Non-fiction is easy but how do I get recommendations on fiction??

How do you guys know what to read next. For example with movies I'll use rottentomatoes, for music I use a combo of Q and last.fm.

I've started to use librarything but I don't know if it's good.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

Try Amazon as you will see readers reviews and overall ratings scores for each book plus links to similar books .I find it great for narrowing down my search for a book anyways:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mentonaintamint

Well, obviously, when there's an author I know I like I try to track down as many of their works as I can. Then there are books/authors reccomended by authors I know I like, always worth a look. If there's one particular genre you like, expand your collection of it. Basically, the thing is to know what you like, otherwise the choice is overwhelming! There's no shortage of books on "all-time classic" lists; you mightn't agree about all of them, but why not see what all the fuss is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

There's no shortage of books on "all-time classic" lists; you mightn't agree about all of them, but why not see what all the fuss is about?

That's the approach I take with the classics. Most of the time I see a book or novel referenced through t.v or movie and if I like that movie I'll usually go on and read the book. For example, in Peep Show Super Hans was talking to a girl about Burroughs book Junky so I figured he's funny I'll buy the book, I just need an excuse really! Oh and I look for books with really cool covers too.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I love bookshops, can't resist them, so if I'm going for something new, I just go in and have a mooch around until something catches my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Just walk intoa bookshop, pick up random books and have a flick, see what you like.

I hat going into bookshops. I always leave emptyhanded, what with being broke, but there is always so much that i want:(

What kind of books do you like and i will suggest some books/authors if i can

• Advertisement
Advertisement