Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellishly Hot Currys

• 23-10-2008 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for the best Indians with the hottest currys in the country (by which I mean Dublin ;)) So far there are not very many that burn the bejaysus out of our mouths. I really want to suffer in a masochistic manner, tell me where to go. People who have a low tolerance to spicey need not apply, as your opinions are futile :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hehehe - do you have a local indian that you like? I find it's best to find a restaurant where you go once a week, and persuade them to hot things up for you. If you're a good customer, they won't just go and stir a tablespoon of chili powder through your madras.

The best hot dish I've ever had in an Indian was at a place called Vojon, in St Johns in Woking (Surrey). They did a dish called Garlic Chili Masala - meat of your choice in a tomato-based curry sauce with coriander and green birds eye chilis - some split, some whole. It was really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

just go in a curry house you like and ask for a phal. it's usually never on the menu but is the next step up from a vindaloo. it burns good:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Our local Indian is a load of old pants so we usually have to travel to get to a half decent one, and we like to try out different ones as much as we can. Himself usually asks for his vindaloo to be extra hot, sometimes it is, sometimes not at all, and I usually go for something else for variety, as we share. So far though, nowhere we have been in Ireland have knocked our socks off.

We haven't tried Phal yet, must give it a whirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Many Indian restaurants don't even have Vindaloo or Madras on the menu let alone Phal. I usually go for Vindaloo myself. The owner of my local Indian says that Irish people don't go for hot curries as much as the English do.

He also says that he doesn't like being in the kitchen when a Vindaloo or Madras is being cooked as it gets to his eyes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

just go in a curry house you like and ask for a phal. it's usually never on the menu but is the next step up from a vindaloo. it burns good:pac:

+1 for phal, it's gorgeous, really hot, but flavoursome too. I love hot food and it's probably the only thing I've ever eaten that I found *really* hot. The waiter made a big scene when I tried ordering it, warning me how hot it was going to be and asking me if I was sure I wanted to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Spice & Rice
    2 Malpas Court
    Dublin 8

has phall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I am also a lover of the indian

There is a place in Portlaoise (really nice restaurant actually) and there madras was the hottest I have ever attempted to eat. It was very hot, and I enjoy spicy food

They had vindaloo and phal on the menu too and I shudder to think how hot these would have been

So if you are ever going south then I'd suggest stopping in on the way for a meal.

Not only is it a nice restaurant but they definitely have the hottest curry I have eaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Name and Address? (of restaurant :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Monsoon Tandoori in Stillorgan had a great vindaloo when I lived close (a couple of years back).

The hotness varied, with the hottest being the nicest, most flavoursome Indian I've ever had. It even came with uncontrollable side effects for a good 2 days and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

WindSock wrote: »
    Name and Address? (of restaurant :pac:)

:D

The Kingfisher, don't know its address but its in the town centre in what looks like an old red brick church.

a little google later and boom

http://www.kingfisherrestaurant.com/contact.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I grew up with a Chinese-Malaysian mum who put literally put chilli in everything and claimed nothing was hot only for it to burn holes as soon as it touched my lips lol.

Forget Spice & Rice and go further south on Clanbrassil St to Bu Ali - best Indian takeaway I have ever had....go the Lamb Vindaloo when you want to cry chilli-inspired tears of joy, and the Lamb Chilli Masala or Meat Dahiwala when you don't want to be feeling the effects the next day :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

YumCha wrote: »
    I grew up with a Chinese-Malaysian mum who put literally put chilli in everything and claimed nothing was hot only for it to burn holes as soon as it touched my lips lol.

Forget Spice & Rice and go further south on Clanbrassil St to Bu Ali - best Indian takeaway I have ever had....go the Lamb Vindaloo when you want to cry chilli-inspired tears of joy, and the Lamb Chilli Masala or Meat Dahiwala when you don't want to be feeling the effects the next day :p

+1
    For those who arent looking for something spicy,their chicken tikka masala and korma are the best that ive had in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

"Forget Spice & Rice and go further south on Clanbrassil St to Bu Ali - best Indian takeaway I have ever had....go the Lamb Vindaloo when you want to cry chilli-inspired tears of joy, and the Lamb Chilli Masala or Meat Dahiwala when you don't want to be feeling the effects the next day"

Ill second that. Bu Ali is a quality indian, theres an even better one up the road from it tho. Konkhan is the name (not sure about the spelling!)

As for monsoon in stilorgan - Absolute muck..Id be ashamed to send a fellow curry lover there :pac:

I find with indian resturants that unless you know them, they can be hesitant to spice things up for you, most vindaloo's in Ireland are usually quite mild.. However once the staff get to know you, and that you're not going to have a chilli induced convulsion, they will gladly spice it up proper :D

Tulsi in Dundrum do a spice packed phal btw. Its not on the menu but they will hook you up if you ask. Be warned though a proper phal packs one hell of a punch!! :)

BTW any curry lovers thinking about trying out the bombay pantry vindaloo's in dunnes should be warned that they are extremely mild. They have a bit of a cheek calling them vindaloo's to be honest. I've had spicier kormas..

Advertisement