Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY HKC Alarm query re sensors

Options
  • 23-10-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,
    I purchased a HKC alarm and components about a year ago with the intention of doing a DIY install... only getting around to wiring it now. The sensors I bought were;
    1) Ordinary contact sensors
    2) HKC inertia sensor c/w reed (ordinary non-ID types)
    3) HKC inertia sensor as per 2 above without reed

Q1 - if i have a large downstairs front window with 3 openings in it - how many inertia sensors should I fit? Should I just use 1 inertia sensor per window frame and leave the rest as ordinary contact sensors?

Q2 - I don't want to install too many inertia contact sensors as I don't want spurious triggering by wind etc. Am I looking for trouble by using too many inertia's? Is it possible to adjust the sensitivity of the HKC inertia sensors?

Q3 - when wiring the HKC sensors with 4 core is it correct to wire the tamper switch and reed contained in the HKC sensor on the same circuit and leave the inertia sensor on its own circuit? Or do I wire the tampers on their own circuit leaving the second circuit for the inertia sensors plus reed sensors?

Q4 - what do most people use for running 4 core wire along window frames? Is there mini trunking available?

thanks in advance guys.
    B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I purchased a HKC alarm and components about a year ago with the intention of doing a DIY install
    Fair play to you! It is not that hard and you will learn alot. That is how I learnt.
    Q1 - if i have a large downstairs front window with 3 openings in it - how many inertia sensors should I fit?
    Generally 1
    Q2 - I don't want to install too many contact sensors as I don't want spurious triggering by wind etc.
    The wind will not set off the contact part.
    Am I looking for trouble by using too many inertia's?
    Fit the minimum possible to give you good cover. No more than 1 per window or door would be normal. You should walk test the system afterwards to make sure that your sensors will pick up bangs in all areas on all windows and doors that you want to alarm. You may find that you need to add more then, but generally not.
    Is it possible to adjust the sensitivity of the HKC inertia sensors?
    Yes, in the programme. As a general rule larger windows require a less sensetive setting than smaller ones. This is because they flex more. There are 2 settings, pluse and gross attack.

For pulse, it counts the number of small pulses within a set time. This may be from a intruder picking out putty!

Gross attack is looking for one large bang, such as someone smashing the window.

Both setting can be set independently and for each zone.
    what do most people use for running 4 core wire along window frames? Is there mini trunking available?

Staple them if wooden or use mini trunking. Mini trunking can be bought in white or brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

fishdog wrote: »
    The wind will not set off the contact part.

Sorry, meant to say inertia sensor.

Thanks for the detail re pulse and gross settings - really helpful.
    Also, do i need to use the 4k7 resistor in the saab bell box? Alarm works without it....?

Also regarding Q3 - can you tell me which is correct:
    a) Tamper microswitch and reed switch is wired on the same circuit and inertia sensor is left on its own circuit.
    or
    b) Inertia sensors and reed switches are wired on the same circuit leaving the tamper on its own circuit.

I am presuming from fishdogs response that a) above is correct leaving the inertia sensors to count pulses etc. For a) the tamper and reed switch is wired to the panels 'tamper' section and the inertia sensor is wired to the panels 'alarm' section for each zone? is this correct?

Advertisement