Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish grammar

Options
  • 23-10-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I think I'll be ok for the oral and listening(hopefully!) but I have difficulties when it comes to written Irish.
    Mainly the urús and séimhiú and where to put them! Is there anywhere that would give me an insight into these grammer points?
    I really need to learn these basic grammer structures. It even damages my chances in the comprehensions.

Thanks..:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

OK, I'm not 100% on these things either, but I think the following is correct:

Past tense takes a séimhiu. (Chaith mé = I threw)

Negative takes a séimhiu. (Ni chaith mé = I do not throw, note that that's in the present tense.)

Past tense negaitve takes Nior. I'm not sure about the seimhiu here. (Nior chaith mé = I did not throw)

Ár (as in "our") gives an uru. (Ár gclann = our family)

"Ar an" gives an uru. (Ar an mbóthair = on the road)

I think there's probably a list of uru-inducing terms, don't know them off the top of my head.

If I'm wrong on any of this I'm sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Then in comes the Tuiseal Ginideach and the declensions and it all gets very scary. :(

Maybe you could just get one of those little grammar books and see how much damage you can reverse at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Grammar an Draoi is supposed to be quite good, you could try getting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Irish Grammar is petrifying.

I never did the Tuiseal Ginideach/ declensions last year. Or ever for that matter. In fact, I only found out there were feminine and masculine words last week! It came as a bit of a shock tbh.
    All theses urús, séimhiús, slenderinsing etc- I hadn't a clue.

Anyway, the point of this post isn't mere empathy or something- I got a B1 last year knowing absolutely NO grammar. So there's hope for you! I'm actually being taught it for the first time ever, and scary as it is it's not too bad. I started the Tuiseal Ginideach today and there was a bit (OK, a lot..) of confusion.. but it makes sense once you get into it!
    I'm sure you could try teach yourself a bit of it out of a grammar book, yeah.
    Here's what I've learnt as of late:

The urús:
    m before b - ag an mbainisteoir
    g before c- ag an gcailín
    n before d - ag an ndoctúir
    bh before f- ag an bhfeirmeoir
    n before g - ag an ngarraíodóir
    b before p - ag an bpáiste
    d before t - ag an dtiománaí

These take urús:
    ag an - ag an gcat
    ar an - ar an mbus
    as an - as an gcailín
    chuig an - chuig an mbád
    faoin - faoin mbórd
    ár + bhur+a (see aidiacht shealbhach)
    ón - ón bpáirc
    tríd an - tríd an bpost
    thar an - thar an mballa
    roimh an - roimh an gcuairteoir
    leis an - leis an mbuachaill
    dá - dá mbeadh sé níos fearr...
    an? - an ndéanann tú é sin?
    i - i dtrioblóid, i gcónaí
    uimheacha 7-10 - seacht/ ocht/ naoi/ deich ndaoine

These take séimhiús (ie, h)
    ar - bhí fearg ar Mhaillí
    de - d'fhiafraigh mé de Shéamus
    do - thug mé an liathróid do Phól
    faoi - faoi bhrú
    ó - ó phríosún
    trí - trí thine
    roimh - roimh Shéan
    don - don chailín
    mo+ do+ a (see aidiacht shealbhach)
    ró - rómhór
    an- - an-mhaith
    ní - ní dhéanann
    níor - níor chuir
    ar? - ar chuir?
    nuair a - nuair a thagaim abhaile
    má - má dhéanann tú
    sa - sa bhaile
    uimhreacha 1-6 - aon/ dó bhád (etc)

The possesive adjective (An Aidiacht Shealbhach):
    (My) mo + h, eg, mo chóta (m'airgead)
    (Your)do + h, eg, do chóta ( d'airgead)
    (His)a + h, eg, a chóta (a airgead)
    (Hers)a - , eg, a cóta (a hairgead)
    (Our) ár + urú, eg, ár gcótaí (ár n-airgead)
    (Your [plural]) Bhur + urú, eg, bhur gcótaí (bhur n-airgead)
    (Their)A + urú, eg, a gcótaí (a n-airgead)

Anyway, there's probably about a million exceptions.
    And undoubtedly a few mistakes- if so, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

There's a pretty hardcore Irish grammar site here: http://nualeargais.ie/gnag/gram.htm
    Mad stuff though.

I used graiméar an draoi. If you have Fiúntas a hAon, it's literally the grammar section from that, which is a bit of a copout, but it's handy to have the grammar in one small book at hand. What helped me a fair bit was making wall plan things with where to put urus etc., so when I was writing essays I could just glance up and check things, and it sort of went in... sorta... Though still to this day I just go with whatever "feels" right. Yup. That's some good Irish language education for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I would strongly recommend "Leabhar Gramadaí Gaeilge" by Nollaig Mac Congáil, published by Cló Iar-Chonnachta, as a comprehensive modern reference book for Irish grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I'm also finding irish grammar difficult to get to grips with. I have Graimear an Draoi but it's all in irish so i spend half my time translating the explanations :rolleyes: Do the other books mentioned explain things as Gaeilge no as Bearla?(apologies about the lack of fadas, my keyboard doesn't give me that option :()

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The one I mentioned is through Irish, but he has a corresponding one in English too:

http://www.cic.ie/product.asp?idproduct=349&showreview=true

MM.

Advertisement