Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inequality in Disabilities

Options
  • 23-10-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice -and apologies in advance if this is breaking any rules. I did look through the charter but couldn't see any mention of this.

I'm doing some research into inequality in disabilities and I already have 2 case studies in close family, but I'm trying to extend this to include a wider view of the issues as well, for example: access to education/employment and what support services there are and problems or other obsticles people may have encountered.

I'm not asking people here for details of their own experiences, but I would appreciate any suggestions insofar as what areas they would feel there's room for improvement in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

the national learning network do a lot of training for people with disabilities..maybe they could help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Hi try the Kerry Branch of Down Syndrome, they opened a coffee shop in killarney and employed 29 young adults with DS because these young adults find it very hard to get employment.

There are many more issues than just employing an adult with a dissability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Maybe contact a local carers group or forum?

With my sister (intellectual disability with co-ordination problem) I found she was well looked after in primary school, had remedial help, didn't have to take Irish, given lots of encouragment and tailored help, in secondary school she was able to do her junior cert over 4 years, and her leaving over 3 (not TY, but a two part 5th year), with special classes in day-to-day living, taking the class out for a meal/shopping and getting them to order and sort their own money, learn to read timetables etc. She finished up school last year and is still sitting around my house. She'd be fine in certain jobs with extensive training, but that training isn't there. Kids get put through the system then thrown out the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

I would suggest you contact the Irish Association of Advocates www.irishadvocate.ie but if you pm me I'll give you the email address of one of the advocates in your area.

You could also try the Disability Federation of Ireland or indeed National Disability Authority.

Sorry it's late so reply is short but please get back to me if there's anything else I can do.

Advertisement