Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council Swimming Pools: The Staff

Options
  • 23-10-2008 7:13pm

I was in Dublin yesterday and decided to go for a swim in the Markievicz centre on Townsend St.
    As I was only up for a few days and had not planned on swimming I hadn't my goggles or cap with me.
    I had seen people swimming there before without caps so I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

When I got into the pool and started to swim toward the deep end one of the lifegaurds started to scream at me. She had a think Dublin accent and looked about eigtheen.
    She roared at me "wheres yer cap, gerroutta da poo-il".
    I was fairly shocked and simply told her that I didn't have one with me.
    She went over to the bench picked up a spare hat and flung it at me missing my face by a few inches and said "Il burst your head open if ya forget it again".
    She was trying to impress the two other lifeguards who were sitting beside her.

As you can probably tell I was absolutely appalled by this behaviour and I called the manager today who said he would "look into it.

It is absolutely disgraceful behaviour and I want to report it to a higher authority.
    Any suggestions?

This isn't the first time a member of staff at a pool in Dublin behaved in such a manner. One member of staff in Crumlin, a large girl with blond hair is shockingly rude to the people who swim in the pool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any suggestions?.

Make sure you bring a hat next time? Or borrow one from the pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

She went over to the bench picked up a spare hat and flung it at me missing my face by a few inches and said "Il burst your head open if ya forget it again".
    Sounds like she was taking the pi$$ and you took it the wrong way (which in fairness is easy to do if you don't get the Dublin sense of humor.

Next time obey the rules and wear a cap- what I find hard to comprehend is you made the decision to bring (to Dublin) a pair of tog's / swimming shorts yet you didn't bring a hat:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

She went over to the bench picked up a spare hat and flung it at me missing my face by a few inches :eek:

Jebus, that was lucky, we all know how dangerous those caps can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gillo wrote: »
    Sounds like she was taking the pi$$ and you took it the wrong way
    +1, scumbags often joke like this, and they often do not have sarcastic tones or laugh or seem to give any inclination it was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Wow you guys are a bit harsh on the OP.

Firstly whether it was a feather a hat or a brick the staff member should not have thrown it. Her attitude was a tad stupid. Whatever happened manners. If they were that concerned about their own rules they would never have let the OP in the pool. I swim regularly in 2 different pools one public and one private and neither will let you near the water without a hat.

Now maybe she was only taking the piss but at the end of the day you are a customer and at the end of it they have to treat you with the same level of respect as they would be expect if they walked into your place of work.

Yes we can see the funny side of it all after all i did smile with these last comments dont get me wrong I love banter and the odd smart ass joke as the next but if you ask me she was out of order.

• Advertisement

Wow you guys are a bit harsh on the OP.
    Not really, I haven't been to the particular pool in years, but and pool I have ever been to has a great big sign (normally a few) telling you to wear a hat, thats what the OP should have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Shave your head bald is you will never need 1 again

Not really, I haven't been to the particular pool in years, but and pool I have ever been to has a great big sign (normally a few) telling you to wear a hat, thats what the OP should have done.

No one is debating the fact he shouldnt have worn the hat ffs :rolleyes: The fact of the matter is the staff member should have not taken the piss and thrown the hat. Some would have laughed it off as a joke I probably would have laughed it off but not everyone is the same and at the end of it her behaviour was beyond that expected in any business place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

She sounds wuff and wulgaw. You're quite right to be outwaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

tbh, don't think it is something to take to a higher authority - maybe just don't go back there again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I HATE someone else's hair on my face.

Like, the rules state "wear a cap". And someone always think they're the exception. That they can not wear the cap.

I agree with others: don't go back. Or, if you do, wear a cap. It's unhygienic not to.

h, and it's _EXTREMELY_ easy to wear a cap...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I don't think the op is complaining about having to wear a cap?

I'm pretty sure the issue here is the treatment by the staff. It wouldn't have been too hard to say -excuse me but you have to wear a cap in the pool would you please put this on? There was no need to shout, be abusive or throw anything at the op who was their customer.

How many times in stores do you see signs saying please take a basket? If we don't i doubt anyone is going to throw it at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sounds like she was taking the pi$$ and you took it the wrong way (which in fairness is easy to do if you don't get the Dublin sense of humor.

What? Hardly taking the p*ss, and besides, she's WORKING, she shouldn't be taking the p*ss out of customers and she certainly shouldn't say things like "I'll burst your head open" to a customer.

Nor should she be throwing a used swimming cap at someone...that's disgusting in itself!

She sounds like a skanger and should be sacked, plain and simple. If i'd been the OP I would have gotten straight out of the pool and demanded to speak to the manager.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I would imagine that in Townsend St if she didn't talk like dat she wouldn't be understood by her regular customers.

Then again if OP had abided by the rules the "incident" wouldn't have happened. Of course yer wan could be writing in her equivalent of Boards all about some cooolchie who wouldn't wear a blooody ha' . *

*brutal attempt at DublinSpeak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Then again if OP had abided by the rules the "incident" wouldn't have happened.

Yea, because its clearly stated in the rules that if you don't wear a hat you'll be abused, threatened and maybe maimed by the local towny life guard.

No one deserves to be spoken to like this, joke or not.

This'll never get anywhere OP. Just vote with your feet and hope the manager gives her a bollocking (doubt it).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Namesco wrote: »
    Jebus, that was lucky, we all know how dangerous those caps can be!
    ROFL

The issue here is the behaviour of the staff.........
    I know I should have worn a cap, as I said I was in Dublin for the day and I borrowed a pair of shorts off my mate, he didnt happen have a cap.
    You are right, everyone should have to wear the appropriate clothes and there should be not exceptions, but the girl's behaviour was ridiculous.
    She could have simply told me before I got into the pool, I walked right by her before I got in.

I find it interesting how low people's standards and expectations are.
    A number of replies seem to imply that this is simply the way some people are in Dublin and that their behaviour should be tolerated.
    In all fairness, she is in a job where she is dealing with the public and it is not alright to act like that.

I went in and complained to the manager who took it very seriously and called me back today to apologise and said that he has given the member of staff in question a warning and that it would'nt happen again.

Hopefully, it wont.

eth0_ wrote: »

Nor should she be throwing a used swimming cap at someone...that's disgusting in itself!
    If you think using someone elses cap is digusting you should try swimming around in a big bath of their dirty water and piss.

I assume you have been swimming before?
    Yea, because its clearly stated in the rules that if you don't wear a hat you'll be abused, threatened and maybe maimed by the local towny life guard.

Wouldnt matter if it did because the OP admits to either not reading the rules or not caring enough to follow them so tough.

Boo hoo the scary lady shouted at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

The issue here is the behaviour of the staff.........
    I know I should have worn a cap, as I said I was in Dublin for the day and I borrowed a pair of shorts off my mate, he didnt happen have a cap.
    You are right, everyone should have to wear the appropriate clothes and there should be not exceptions, but the girl's behaviour was ridiculous.
    She could have simply told me before I got into the pool, I walked right by her before I got in.

I find it interesting how low people's standards and expectations are.
    A number of replies seem to imply that this is simply the way some people are in Dublin and that their behaviour should be tolerated.
    In all fairness, she is in a job where she is dealing with the public and it is not alright to act like that.

I went in and complained to the manager who took it very seriously and called me back today to apologise and said that he has given the member of staff in question a warning and that it would'nt happen again.

Hopefully, it wont.

fair play to you for following through on this op! People dont stick up enought to get decent customer service, sounds like you stayed calm about it which is great.People who shout and rant only end up making the bad service look justified

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I found it interesting that the OP mentioned a strong Dublin accent and then went on to write in that accent.Nobody commented on that.If the rude person was from Poland/eastern Europe would the OP mention that and copy that accent?Think not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

todolist wrote: »
    I found it interesting that the OP mentioned a strong Dublin accent and then went on to write in that accent.Nobody commented on that.If the rude person was from Poland/eastern Europe would the OP mention that and copy that accent?Think not!

its harder to spell a polish accent

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

ChickCool wrote: »
    its harder to spell a polish accent
    Yeah, right.

Getting his point across Im a Dub with a storng accent and I actually smiled as I could imagine your one saying the things she said. The OP simply painted the picture who cares anyway. The OP complained and the manager did something and he was right to. Fair Play OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yeah, right.

Try it?

For the record, I wasnt trying to insult people from Dublin.
    I simply wrote it like that just to illustrate my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

For the record, I wasnt trying to insult people from Dublin.
    I simply wrote it like that just to illustrate my point.

Thats pretty obvious, some people just pick up on anything to try to create an argument.

Hopefully, it wont.

Lovely, break the rules and complain about, get someone doing their job disciplined.

Lovely, break the rules and complain about, get someone doing their job disciplined.

Tell ye what Gillo you come into my work place and I will throw something at you and laugh and see how you like it. Fact of the matter is the life guard could have asked him nicely or professionaly to please put on a hat. Just because the OP forgot it does not give the lifeguard permission to throw something at them and take the piss.

Just because the OP forgot it does not give the lifeguard permission to throw something at them and take the piss.

He didnt forget, he decided that instead of going and buying one or tryign to borrow one, he'd just get in the pool without one, despite knowign the rules

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If the OP can't read the rules which say you need a hat then why shouldn't they rip it out of him...

Advertisement