Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council Swimming Pools: The Staff

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Stekelly wrote: »
    He didnt forget, he decided that instead of going and buying one or tryign to borrow one, he'd just get in the pool without one, despite knowign the rules

So that still gives a staff member the right to be down right rude to him?? Instead of doing her job professionally she decided to be stupid and try to be funny to impress colleagues and forget her manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Red Alert wrote: »
    If the OP can't read the rules which say you need a hat then why shouldn't they rip it out of him...

Because they are employees of a public service and not his friends. No matter where you work you have to treat every customer with respect. not everyone has the same sense of humour as you, so you got to be respectful and have manners whether you like it or not. You are not paid to make jokes at the expense of others unless you are a clown or a comedien in fairness.

If the OP can't read the rules which say you need a hat then why shouldn't they rip it out of him...

Do you really think an employee of a public building like a swimming pool (or any other type of state employee) should be allowed to "rip it out of" anyone?
    Do you not feel that when dealing with a member of the public, an employee should have to act in a mature and reasonable manner?

A number of you have missed the point of this thread..... a discussion of the behaviour of a certain member of staff.
    I already have indicated (twice) that it was wrong of me to go into the pool without a cap and have explained my reasons why I didnt have a cap or goggles with me that day..............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yes, but you seem to be missing the point that you didn't bother respecting the other swimmers by keeping with the standard hygiene rules yet you still demand respect from other people. It's a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

This isn't the first time a member of staff at a pool in Dublin behaved in such a manner. One member of staff in Crumlin, a large girl with blond hair is shockingly rude to the people who swim in the pool.

The pool in Crumlin shopping centre isn't managed by the council afaik. It is privately operated.

I think the OP was right to raise the issue with management. It could have been even more effective if he had calmly and firmly raised the issue with the girl herself, along the lines of 'please don't speak to me or any customer like that'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

It's completely irrelevant that the OP did not follow the rules,an employee cannot act that way to a customer. End of story. The lifeguard would have been right to go to the OP,say that a hat must be worn at all times,these are the rules and I might have a spare one if you want it. You simply cannot shout abuse and throw something at a customer.

I used to work in Xtra-Vision. The manager had a rule that there was no food or drink to be consumed in the shop by customers as people were leaving rubbish around the place. If I saw someone eating,I'd kindly ask them could they refrain from doing so,as it was a rule,and there was a sign on the wall outling this rule. The customer's reaction might differ,some would accept it and apologise as they hadn't seen the sign,others would have seen the sign but didn't care,they might get annoyed about it. At the end of the day,their reaction is their reaction but I enforced the rules by kindly informing them of the rules.

Now can you imagine I saw someone eating in the store,marched over to them,started shouting at them very loudly that there was no eating in the store,then picked up something,like maybe some rubbish they dropped,and threw it at them.I'm fairly certain I would have been fired the next day. The OP was wrong,she did know the rules and still ignored them which is annoying for an employee,but regardless of that there is just no way you can act like this lifeguard did with a customer. You just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I can't believe the idiots commenting on this thread!
    NOBODY DESERVES TO BE SPOKEN TO LIKE THAT!!!

Let's call a spade a spade - the girl sounds like a skanger. Fair enough she should have called the OP on not wearing a hat BUT - he said others were not wearing swimming caps and yet he was the only one singled out and threatened with violence.

OP did you get a response to your complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eth0_ wrote: »
    What? Hardly taking the p*ss, and besides, she's WORKING, she shouldn't be taking the p*ss out of customers and she certainly shouldn't say things like "I'll burst your head open" to a customer.
    I don't think anybody disagrees that she shouldn't have said it.
    NOBODY DESERVES TO BE SPOKEN TO LIKE THAT!!!

Let's call a spade a spade - the girl sounds like a skanger. Fair enough she should have called the OP on not wearing a hat BUT - he said others were not wearing swimming caps and yet he was the only one singled out and threatened with violence.
    I presume I am one of the idiots since I agreed with the poster saying she was probably taking the piss (don't think anybody said this was OK, just what she was doing). I think anybody who actually believed she was truly threatening violence, and really would have "burst the OPs head open" if they forgot the cap the next time, is an idiot.

I have worked with and encountered many skangers, and this is very common TBH, sure it is not acceptable behaviour, but I accept it does happen and certainly do not worry about such "threats".

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Attack the posts and not the posters please.

I'd love to hear the Pool Attendant's side of the story just to add a bit of balance.

rubadub wrote: »

I presume I am one of the idiots since I agreed with the poster saying she was probably taking the piss (don't think anybody said this was OK, just what she was doing). I think anybody who actually believed she was truly threatening violence, and really would have "burst the OPs head open" if they forgot the cap the next time, is an idiot.

I have worked with and encountered many skangers, and this is very common TBH, sure it is not acceptable behaviour, but I accept it does happen and certainly do not worry about such "threats".

Yeah, I know. Im sure that it was an empty threat alright, I never implied that she was actuallly going to punch me:D.......... She was just trying to look tough and impress her mates.

The manager got back to me and apologised, he said he had a few words with that member of staff. He was very nice about it.

• Advertisement

The pool in Crumlin shopping centre isn't managed by the council afaik. It is privately operated.

I think the OP was right to raise the issue with management. It could have been even more effective if he had calmly and firmly raised the issue with the girl herself, along the lines of 'please don't speak to me or any customer like that'.

I meant the pool on Windmill Road in Crumlin.
    TBH, I think you should always deal with management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

For the record, I'm a regular user of the Markievicz centre, swim there a few times a week and have always found the staff friendly & helpful.

So despite the OP's incident it's actually quite a decent place for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I don't get this cap rule. In several other European countries these caps are not required.

How is it that in private (posh) Dublin pools caps are not required?

If the reason is hygiene, I can think of a few dirtier bits than hair that are released into the water...

And about the event that started this thread, the OP is a customer and he/she should be entitled to expect an ethical and professional attitude from the staff. If it was a joke that went wrong, then such jokes should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Zynks wrote: »
    I don't get this cap rule. In several other European countries these caps are not required.

How is it that in private (posh) Dublin pools caps are not required?

It's disgusting to swim without a cap! No one likes getting a mouthful of someones hair when they're having a swim, and the hair clogs the filters in the pools. Chlorine kills off any bugs and germs in the water.

I don't know what you mean about posh gyms not requiring caps...Crunch Fitness and David Lloyd both require caps to be worn..

BenjAii wrote: »
    For the record, I'm a regular user of the Markievicz centre, swim there a few times a week and have always found the staff friendly & helpful.

So despite the OP's incident it's actually quite a decent place for what it is.

Totally agree with that, any time I have swam there it's always been very well managed and staffed.

It's disgusting to swim without a cap! No one likes getting a mouthful of someones hair when they're having a swim, and the hair clogs the filters in the pools. Chlorine kills off any bugs and germs in the water.

I don't know what you mean about posh gyms not requiring caps...Crunch Fitness and David Lloyd both require caps to be worn..

I don't know about Crunch Fitness, but David Lloyd doesn't require caps.

The filters are exactly for that...holding unwanted c#*p, but they are supposed to be cleared periodically.

As for the mouthful of hair, yuk!.....maybe you should keep it closed :P ...when swimming, of course!

Crunch do require you to wear a hat, but it's not policed.

As for keeping your mouth closed, it's not really an option to be fair.

Gillo wrote: »
    Crunch do require you to wear a hat, but it's not policed.

As for keeping your mouth closed, it's not really an option to be fair.

You mean you guys let the water get into your mouth when swimming? :eek:

If that is a common practice, then maybe the caps are a good idea, also everyone should be forced to have a proper shower before getting into the pool (as in soap and scrub).

But seriously, I was was brought swimming regularly in pools where nobody wore caps and I remember seeing hair a single time, years ago. On the other hand, I've seen much more disgusting things in far more occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I had seen people swimming there before without caps so I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.
    Fair mistake.
    When I got into the pool and started to swim toward the deep end one of the lifegaurds started to scream at me. She had a think Dublin accent and looked about eigtheen.
    She roared at me "wheres yer cap, gerroutta da poo-il".
    I was fairly shocked and simply told her that I didn't have one with me.
    She went over to the bench picked up a spare hat and flung it at me missing my face by a few inches and said "Il burst your head open if ya forget it again".
    Very humiliating. What a rude person.
    This isn't the first time a member of staff at a pool in Dublin behaved in such a manner. One member of staff in Crumlin, a large girl with blond hair is shockingly rude to the people who swim in the pool.
    Not really relevant though. I'm sure it's not the first time a member of staff anywhere has been rude. I disagree with the thread title too - "Dublin City Council swimming pools"? What about any other swimming pools in any other place? So you've dealt with two rude staff members, doesn't mean there's a pattern of rudeness among Dublin City Council swmming pool staff.
    Make sure you bring a hat next time? Or borrow one from the pool?
    ... but until then, abuse is ok. :confused:
    Sounds like she was taking the pi$$ and you took it the wrong way (which in fairness is easy to do if you don't get the Dublin sense of humor.
    Wow. Can people dealing with the public anywhere say stuff like that so, provided it's within a humorous context? E.g. in Dunnes Stephen's Green? Debenhams Henry Street?
    So if I bring an item back to Clerys and I forget the receipt and the sales assistant says "You're holding up the queue and you forgot your receipt? I'll bust yer head if you do that again!" it would be ok because it's just her sense of humour? Very same thing - a paying customer is a paying customer. If they break rules, make mistakes, they can be advised of this in a firm but polite manner. The girl was not in the wrong to advise him he was in breach of health and safety rules, she WAS in the wrong to go about it in the way she did - including throwing something at him. I love how that's considered ok by some people on this thread...
    Boo hoo the scary lady shouted at me.
    Comments like this are so ignorant. Yes she shouted at him - and? Would you like a waitress to shout at you, even if you were in the wrong? No. You'd like a waitress to address the matter in a polite way and a firm way if you're really out of order.
    I think the attendant's behaviour is so accepted by some people here because an inner city Dublin swimming pool is a "grittier" environment than a plush restaurant. Not of any relevance though. If dealing with paying members of the public is part of what you're paid to do, then you behave accordingly no matter where you are.
    todolist wrote: »
    I found it interesting that the OP mentioned a strong Dublin accent and then went on to write in that accent.Nobody commented on that.If the rude person was from Poland/eastern Europe would the OP mention that and copy that accent?Think not!
    Yeah the OP "wrote" in the Dublin accent. And? He was illustrating the scene, adding a bit of colour - what a weird thing to take issue with.
    And I can't see why a person wouldn't type the way an Eastern European person speaks...
    Lovely, break the rules and complain about, get someone doing their job disciplined.
    :rolleyes:
    Maybe consider the fact that the person WASN'T doing their job actually...
    I find it bizarre you think it's ok for the OP to have been shouted at like that (even if it was in jest) and have something thrown at him. Yeah he broke the rules so she should have pointed it out to him... just minus the aggression and rudeness.
    Because he's a paying customer and the staff are paid to deal with the public. Would you expect to have it ripped out of you if you skipped the queue in Tesco? No. You'd expect "Please sir, wait at the start of the queue, the others were here before you."
    Yes, but you seem to be missing the point that you didn't bother respecting the other swimmers by keeping with the standard hygiene rules yet you still demand respect from other people. It's a bit hypocritical if you ask me.
    Hypocritical or not, the attendant is breaking the rules of her contract by behaving like that to a customer.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Oh no, it seems there are a few of them all right.
    I agree. But the manner was unacceptably rude, therefore I think the OP was right to complain. And I agree some of the comments here are idiotic the way they neglect the very simple fact that the girl was doing her job badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I've been to this pool on quite a few occasions (sister lives nearby) and have always found the staff to be very nice and polite. Yes, several staff members are youngish (early twenties I'd guess) but I've never had or witnessed a problem. At best I'd say this was a joke gone wrong.

• Advertisement

Totally agree with that, any time I have swam there it's always been very well managed and staffed.

Yes, apart from this incident I dont really have any other major complaints about the place. The manager seemed like a nice guy and the other staff who work there seem quite nice as well. The pool is in a good location and they have a student rate as well.

Once or twice the showers and changing room were quite dirty, in need of a mopping, but usually they are alright.......

Advertisement