Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saltwater fly-fishing

Options
  • 23-10-2008 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Any of you had any success with fly in the salt in Ireland? I gathered the info myself but never got to give it a try last summer. I wonder is it rewarding or would you just end up losing a good evenings fishing on the river/lake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

You have to be careful SWFF'ing, you might end up getting completely hooked and pack in fresh water fly fishing for good. Friends of mine were getting Bass up to last week on the fly, this current storm will make it tough but even a weather window appears you can pick them up until xmas.
    I target Bass, Pollack and Macks on the fly and with the right gear you can out fish(not macks) the lead swingers. Like any aspect of angling the more you put in the more you will get out. Conditions during the dog months are perfect for SWFF where as on the rivers and lakes you are restricted to night and morning sessions.
    Its tough to be going out now so I would wait till next year when the weather improves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

stylie wrote: »
    ... Friends of mine were getting Bass up to last week on the fly, this current storm will make it tough but even a weather window appears you can pick them up until xmas. ...

Stylie: When you say until xmas .. are you thinking of the east coast, or Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Thats a tough question for me as my knowledge of Kerry marks is limited. Waterford and Cork is where I do my fishing and some areas of Cork harbour will fish up till xmas, hint *warm water inflows*...still weather dependant. The Kerry fishing is a lot more exposed and I wouldn't feel too confident fluff chucking into a prevailing westerly in December :)
    Look for weather windows and fish over spots you got fish in the Summer, if anything the past success will make you fish more confidently, having a bait rod next to you isn't a bad idea :)

Advertisement