Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

screeching noise from car

Options
  • 23-10-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

1995 Fiesta has a loud screeching sound when taking off in first gear. Could it be clutch? It does not happen every time. It sounds like the tyre screeching sound effect in movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Fan belt ? prob needs adjusting / tightening ..........

The belt is slipping on the pulley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

loose fanbelt.Or maybe boyzone are being grilled by louis under the bonnet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Most likely the fan belt or another auxuliary belt.

Don't dawdle, get it fixed. Should be cheap enough to get done ...a lot cheaper than the possible collateral damage (depending on what the belt actually drives) when it does go at 3 in the morning on a rainy night in the arsehole of nowhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

loose fanbelt.Or maybe boyzone are being grilled by louis under the bonnet
    maybe boyzone new recording lol

peasant wrote: »
    Don't dawdle, get it fixed. :D
    I will thank guys

• Advertisement

I will thank guys
    Was the fanbelt loose, got it fixed. Thanks all;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Sorry to be pedantic, but in most cars the fan is electric driven (used to be driven by the 'fanbelt'). There is a belt, it drives the alternator and water pump (plus a/c compressor if fitted). In my old 'festy' you just loosened a bolt on the alternator arm and moved it out a bit, just taking up the 'slack' on the belt. Those were the days, when you could actually work on a car engine.

You can also get a screech from a dodgy clutch, and you mention that it happens when you move off, so it could be the clutch. So I suggest you confirm if the noise goes when you press the clutch and/or put the engine under load. If it's there all the time then it's most probably a belt, if it happens when you put the engine under load then it could be a clutch (the more expensive of the two problems).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

youtheman wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic, but in most cars the fan is electric driven (used to be driven by the 'fanbelt'). There is a belt, it drives the alternator and water pump (plus a/c compressor if fitted). In my old 'festy' you just loosened a bolt on the alternator arm and moved it out a bit, just taking up the 'slack' on the belt. Those were the days, when you could actually work on a car engine.

You can also get a screech from a dodgy clutch, and you mention that it happens when you move off, so it could be the clutch. So I suggest you confirm if the noise goes when you press the clutch and/or put the engine under load. If it's there all the time then it's most probably a belt, if it happens when you put the engine under load then it could be a clutch (the more expensive of the two problems).

Sorry to be pedantic but I suggest you read the last post by Jack Magee. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Thank you Anus1s, you contribution to this thread is much appreciated. Over and out.

Advertisement