Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unsolicited texts

Options
  • 23-10-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I think this is in the right place, I used the search and couldn't find the info I need, so here goes.

I graduated from UCD at the start of the summer and as part of that I had to rent a gown. Fair enough, the service was good and I even got a text confirmation from them, very good. The problem arose at the start of this week, when I received a text from the same number asking me to support students and join a protest. Now I receive these type of texts from the students union and while they are annoying, they are not unsolicited, as I am technically still a student (on a year out from a complicated degree course!) and as such a member of the SU.

What I want to know is how/why this company has my details. They knew I was from UCD, and obviously still have some details on file. i am suspicious that they have either shared my details or been contacted and asked to send these nuisance texts by the SU.

Is there any legitimate means by which this can happen? Surely its out of line. Is there someone I can report them to? What do I even report them for?

I don't mind the odd text from a nightclub I signed up to while drunk, or anything else that is even semi-expected, but i HATE this kind of stuff.

EDIT: the number begins with +456... if that means anything to anyone!
    Quick google and its Denmark...WTF?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

masseyno9 wrote: »

EDIT: the number begins with +456... if that means anything to anyone!
    Quick google and its Denmark...WTF?

I assume that is to to avoid Irish Regs regarding spam txt.
    Go back to the company you believe the number belongs to Gown rental place and ask them to remove your mobile number from their mailing list

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I used to get spammed from UCD SU. I still get the odd thing, even though I'm gone 2 years. Used to drive me mad. Contact the SU and get your number removed, they are the ones who are sending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I don't mind the SU things too much, and I'm not entirely sure this was to do with them. I think I'll contact the company directly and ask them what the story is.

Advertisement