Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW AGREES DEAL WITH BENZ - to share bits

Options
  • 23-10-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

O Dear ..........
    Credit crunch starting to bite perhaps ?

"Arch showroom rivals BMW and Mercedes have reportedly shaken hands on an agreement that will see shared components used in the manufacturer of both brands – and the move could extend to shared engines in the future.........

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=18857

Good Idea ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

M5-63 A///MG

Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Old news, Jalopnik reported on this a few months back. It was bound to happen, nearly every other manufacturer shares parts and platforms, so it was inevitable that the larger manufacturers would do it too.

Not going to call it as being good or bad, but time will tell more than speculation on a forum can. Finger's crossed they share only the good bits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BMW already have a platform share, but I suspect this is for the entire opposite end of the scale...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

MYOB wrote: »
    BMW already have a platform share, but I suspect this is for the entire opposite end of the scale...

I've read car magazine rumours that the next-generation Mini and next A and B class Mercs would share a platform. And of course the current Mini shares oily bits with the 207, and the last one had a Toyota diesel.

The next gen MINI will be sharing bits with the next Fiat 500. It's only BMW and Mercedes that will be sharing parts. Also, in the US, MINIs and Alfas will be sold side by side in the next few years.

• Advertisement

Unless they've changed their plans, it wasn't the Mini - it was a smaller model, likely to be called the Isetta - that was to be built on an even smaller than the 500 Fiat (e.g. a shunted shunted Panda chassis), to be called the Topolino.

The 500 hasn't got a replacement plan at all yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Between the two companies they should really improve the efficiency of their engines. BMW already have the most efficient petrol and diesel (actually made by Steyr) engines out there but Merc are developing their new DiesOtto technology that is effectively a petrol powered diesel! Mix all this in with both companies getting into hybrid and Hydrogen technologies.

Its kinda hard to see where they will find common ground on what to make together.

Unless they've changed their plans, it wasn't the Mini - it was a smaller model, likely to be called the Isetta - that was to be built on an even smaller than the 500 Fiat (e.g. a shunted shunted Panda chassis), to be called the Topolino.

According to this Auto Express article, the next Mini will be twinned with the next MiTo, which makes more sense. The Mini is a beefier car than the Panda/500, it's only so tiny inside because of all that big-car suspension BMW stuff into it.

There are a couple of guesses about what the Isetta/Topolino cars might look like, too, and a suggestion that they'll be 3+1 seaters, like the iQ.

Ferris wrote: »
    Merc are developing their new DiesOtto technology that is effectively a petrol powered diesel!

diesOtto engines are a long way off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Zube wrote: »
    According to this Auto Express article, the next Mini will be twinned with the next MiTo, which makes more sense. The Mini is a beefier car than the Panda/500, it's only so tiny inside because of all that big-car suspension BMW stuff into it.

Speaking of Minis, I was reading US magazine Motor Trends on the plnae home a few weeks ago & they mentioned this as something that is actually going to be available over there. Is this really taking the Mini brand too far offering an off-road version?

• Advertisement

The 500 hasn't got a replacement plan at all yet!

Of course it does. All cars have a lifecycle, the 500 too, it will be due to be refreshed approx 2012, around the same time as the MINI hatchback. Hence the parts sharing.

Most of what I've written has been confirmed by MINI USA, rather than the usual autocar 'sources' which are about as reliable as Bus Eireann's timetable.

Speaking of Minis, I was reading US magazine Motor Trends on the plnae home a few weeks ago & they mentioned this as something that is actually going to be available over there. Is this really taking the Mini brand too far offering an off-road version?

Did you know when the original Mini was designed by Sir Alec Issigonis, he designed, at the same time, a 4x4 Mini based on a concept from the Mini Moke? There were prototypes designed, and given to the British Forces for testing. It's fair to say there have always been plans for a 4x4 Mini since 1959.

People think of the older Minis, and they remember the 2 door, and the estate. But there were literally dozens of variants, the pickup, the cabriolet, the clubman, the moke, the innocenti, the shorty, the wolesely hornet, the riley elf, the midas, the marcos, and of course the Mini vans. There were so many, it's hard to keep track, and when the new one goes to *gasp* 4 variants, people flip out.

It's a brand now, like it or loathe it. This was bound to happen way back in 2001 when BMW built the car that Rover designed.

ned78 wrote: »
    Of course it does. All cars have a lifecycle, the 500 too, it will be due to be refreshed approx 2012, around the same time as the MINI hatchback. Hence the parts sharing.

Most of what I've written has been confirmed by MINI USA, rather than the usual autocar 'sources' which are about as reliable as Bus Eireann's timetable.

It hasn't got a public replacement plan, then. Also, a 500 replacement and a Mini replacement would be different size classes.

Also, a 500 replacement and a Mini replacement would be different size classes.

Currently, yes. In the future, no. This has already been announced by both manufacturers, they've signed a memorandum of understanding, BMW have agreed to promote Fiat/Alfa in the states, and they will be part sharing.

This has already been announced by both manufacturers, they've signed a memorandum of understanding, BMW have agreed to promote Fiat/Alfa in the states, and they will be part sharing.

We understand that. Can you point to an announcement that the Mini and 500 will share a platform?

I already cited autoexpress, here's another reference which states that the next Mini will share a Fiat platform, but doesn't say which one (although the article refers to the 500, the announcement clearly doesn't).

On that memorandum, here's a link which says:

The latest automotive collaboration will involve BMW working with Alfa Romeo and Fiat on developing components and systems as well as a common platform for BMW’s third-generation Mini Cooper, Alfa Romeo’s Mi.To and Fiat’s Grande Punto. All cars are scheduled for release early on in the ’10s, according to suppliers for both brands

So as several people have said, not a Mini/500 as the 500 is a class smaller. The 500 will presumably continue to be based on the smaller Panda platform, along with the Ka.

The 500 will presumably continue to be based on the smaller Panda platform, along with the Ka.

Sorry, my bad. It's the Punto that'll be getting the Platform, and the 500 will probably keep sharing with Ford as said, BUT, the 500 will get parts from the MINI bin too - hence the parts sharing. Apologies for the screwup on the platform comments :o

Apologies for the screwup on the platform comments :o

No worries :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Merc needs a new 4 pot petrol for the next A and B class, as the 4 pot they have is too big.

BMW have a 1.6 turbo in development at the moment.

BMW needs a new V12 for the 760i, although there is the slight chance that it will be called the 755i when it enters production, since BMW have recently filed 755 as a trademark, along with a host of other ones; petrol hybrids will end with ih and diesel hybrids will end with dh, so the 7 series hybrid concept will actually be called the 750ih or 750Lih, then there's sDrive(we can now safely say that when the X1 comes it will have the 4 pot diesels from the 1 series including the 123d twin turbo, as well as the 3.0 straight 6 petrols and diesels we're already familiar with, the company is developing a 1.6 4 pot turbo(presumably twin turbo) which will replace the existing NA N43 4 pot which only came out last March).

Merc have a new M275 V12 on the way with all the gizmos under the sun fitted.

More than likely it will continue to be badged as a 760i, because they've also filed trademarks for 555 and 655, which suggests that there is a more powerful version of the 4.4 twin turbo V8 on the cards(given that the current trend in BMW is for downsizing(the 123d's twin turbo will be rolled out with the introduction of new models effectively replacing the 325d/525d etc which I think is a pity that we're losing more 6 pot models but I suppose they've no choice with all the CO2 nonsense) and reducing cylinders I somehow don't think they're going to start putting V12s in the 5 and 6 series.

Of course they could also be doing what Merc are doing, magically adding on "half a litre" when they call it a hybrid(cue the C300 Bluetec hybrid based on the C250 CDI and the S400 hybrid based on the S350) too, but I sincerely hope not as the S400 hybrid is slower than the S350 and BMWs are suppposed to be about performance.

So there certainly is some ground there for this alliance.

Officially the companies will only be sharing bits that won't dilute either brand's appeal, so we'll wait and see what happens. Already BMW and Merc, along with GM will be using the same hybrid system, and that hasn't upset anyone.

I don't see anything wrong with this kind of thing once it doesn't dilute the appeal or quality of BMW, and Merc. I'd rather this kind of thing happen rather than see BMW be a part of a big company like VAG.

The company already has alliances with PSA for petrol engines(the new 1.6 turbo one the way is a different engine though) and diesels for the MINI, an alliance with FIAT could be very interesting indeed, especially if we see Alfas using BMW chassis and 6 pot petrol engines:D!

I think it's funny how Alfa fans despise BMW and now they could be relying on chassis from Munich for future cars, not to mention sharing a common platform with BMW for the next MiTo(which is definately going to happen):D!

diesOtto engines are a long way off...

They'll be here in 2015, and they give diesel economy and torque but all the best bits of petrol; power, noise, refinement, superior non CO2 related emissions, lightness, lower cost, higher rev limits etc.

And they run on petrol too, which means they'll cut CO2 emissions by 11% compared to a diesel that does the same mpg because petrol is a much cleaner burning fuel than diesel.

It actually is Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition to dive "DiesOtto" its correct title, and effectively it is the next generation of direct injection for petrol engines.

E92 wrote: »
    I think it's funny how Alfa fans despise BMW and now they could be relying on chassis from Munich for future cars, not to mention sharing a common platform with BMW for the next MiTo(which is definately going to happen):D!

Since when do Alfa fans despise BMW? I think it's obvious that Alfas based on BMW bits would be better than Alfas based on Fiat bits. Unfortunately, they'd also be dearer.

• Advertisement

Since when do Alfa fans despise BMW? I think it's obvious that Alfas based on BMW bits would be better than Alfas based on Fiat bits.

Of course Alfas are going to be better using BMW derived bits, that goes without saying.

I meant Alfisti(or whatever way you write it) whenever they make their (rare) appearance on this, and other forums encouraging you to be brave and go for an Alfa, and it usually ends up with remarks along the lines of BMWs are sh!te/boring etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

No this is not a good idea.
    It's a comprimise. It's the new economy that we all live in now. I hate the idea.
    Yes yes I know all the cars that are shared, crossed and generally interbread.
    They all look like it too.
    Back in the 80's lets say. (just for example)
    The older mercs were exactly that. A merc. No mistaking it.

The older BMW 7 series or 6 series. Truly Magnificant cars. Everyone knew what the were and they were truly individual. Even Alfa Romeo cars. The Alfasud. Everyone knew what they were. Not just those of us in the know.

now.....FFS!

Every other thing is the same, if you know what I mean. Where is the induviduality gone??:confused:

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Where is the induviduality gone??:confused:

I agree that all the interestingness of cars is going, they're slowly becoming more and more like white goods on wheels to me, with one platform serving a whole host of cars, just look at the Volkswagen Group, the one platform serves 2 generations of Golf, Passat, Tiguan, Golf Plus, Jetta, Eos, Scirocco, TT, A3, Leon, Octavia, Altea, Altea XL and Toledo(and I'm sure I've left out something along the way).

Certainly we won't be seeing any Citroen DS's again, or anything even remotely close to it.

All that said, there are so many legal requirements and hurdles car makers have to pass through these days to even sell a car, and it's going to get worse with Governments interfering in car makers all the more with more CO2 related nonsense, which is forcing car makers to develop enormously expensive hybrids and expensive diesels, so this kind of thing is inevitable I'm afraid.

To be honest I'd rather this kind of thing happen than BMW and Merc and Fiat all being some sort of super company with one large parent.

I meant Alfisti(or whatever way you write it) whenever they make their (rare) appearance on this, and other forums encouraging you to be brave and go for an Alfa, and it usually ends up with remarks along the lines of BMWs are sh!te/boring etc.

I certainly wouldn't say BMWs are sh!te, but I'm unlikely to ever buy one.

Just look at a 159 parked beside a 3 series. The BMW is dynamically better, but man, I thought Bangle was supposed to be brave! The 3 series is the dullest looking yoke in it's class. It's not even ugly enough to be interesting.

Most Alfa fans (myself included) would also say BMWs are good, but too pricey beside the Alfas, providing you are willing to keep the car until depreciation isn't an issue.

I thought Bangle was supposed to be brave! The 3 series is the dullest looking yoke in it's class. It's not even ugly enough to be interesting.

The 3 series isn't the most exciting car ever made appearance wise, and an Alfa 159 does look a lot more exciting(and I even hear reliability has improved a lot too) but it is a far nicer design than some of Bangle's other creations, like the X3 and 6 series.

I'd always take something conservative over something as hideous as the X3, or E65 7 series. If it ain't broke then don't fix it, it's not like BMW were on the brink of collapse and needed something radical top survive, far from it in fact, and I think they've cost themselves a lot of buyers, Merc and Audi have increased their sales in recent years far more dramatically than BMW have i.e. Audi and Merc have been gaining market share at BMW's expense.

In fairness most BMW fans think Bangle should be shot for ruining designs that may have been predictable and a bit conservative, but they were nevertheless attractive designs that looked modern while still retaining traditional BMW design features like the kink in the rear side windows.

I wouldn't mind but Bangle can design nice looking cars, the FIAT Coupé is one such car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

From a Technical Innovation viewpoint the mainstream manufacturers have been closing the gap on BMW and Mercedes.
    There was a time when you got something more for your money that a badge.
    BMW and Mercedes can't afford to innovate on production runs of maybe 100,000 units. The economies of scale are not there. With two customers for high end technology they can afford to invest in R&D to deliver the next generation of engines, transmissions, electrical buses that they just can't afford to invest in at the moment. If they go in to partnership with mainstream manufacturers they have to accept less advanced technology because hi-tech can't be justified by the other partner.

If you are a fan of advanced technologies and quality engineering you should welcome this development - it'll give you better cars which deserve to carry the BMW or Mercedes badge, not A-class, not 1 series, not ML,etc.. but rather the good stuff like S-Class and 5 series..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Will it be the slippery slope to merger? BMW Will eventually dominate the European car market if VW don't get ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...not half as funny that, no matter what car you drive, you are statistically more likely to be driving Fiat, than anyting else for some time into the future...:D

Fiat did invent the common rail, after all......and everybody, but everybody, has followed suit. Some have have given up on trying to compete, and just did a deal to buy from them in the first place - GM. No point in trying to re-invent the wheel. Which is a good thing, actually.

Ah, the irony of it, because no matter what twist you put on it, people will see it as a BMW with Fiat parts, not a Fiat with BMW parts........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...not half as funny that, no matter what car you drive, you are statistically more likely to be driving Fiat, than anyting else for some time into the future...:D

Nice try, but it's only MINI that will be sharing bits with FIATs, BMW will *not* be sharing anything with FIAT:p!

BMW may be sharing things with Alfas, something different I think you'll agree. But for the moment it's *only* MINI that will be having anything to do with FIAT. It's mere specualtion that Alfa may share things with BMW, we know FIAT wants to go back to RWD for the larger Alfas, and we know BMW has ample supply of RWD chassis, so I think we can see where that may go. Then you could have Alfa styling and BMW engines/chassis, the best of everything:D!

And btw, the common rail has been around since the 1940s(albeit not asadvanced as what we have today), just because FIAT popularised it(and fair play to them for revolutionising the diesel engine in passenger cars) does not for a second mean they invented it, because they didn't;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

errrrrhh Sorry E92, like it or not, but...

Alfa Romeo=Fiat
    BMW=MINI

Advertisement