Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW AGREES DEAL WITH BENZ - to share bits

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,451 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

E92 wrote: »
    just because FIAT popularised it does not for a second mean they invented it, because they didn't;).

Semantics. They mightn't have outright invented it, but they do own the patents to the common rail diesel technology for cars. Every other major manufacturer in the world pays FIAT royalties. BMW was the first to recognise the superiority of common rail and cough up for it, VAG was the last to do so.

BMW needs a new V12 for the 760i
    Merc have a new M275 V12 on the way with all the gizmos under the sun fitted.

You aren't seriously suggesting that BMW will stick a Merc engine in their flagships? :eek:

This is simply not going to happen. It'd say the Quandts rather go bankrupt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

unkel wrote: »
    BMW was the first to recognise the superiority of common rail and cough up for it

Hmm.....I thought the Merc C220 cdi was the first but could be wrong. But your point is correct in that FIAT pioneered the technology and have indeed pioneered many innovative powertrain solutions.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I think that this is merely the start of it and is a sign of things to come. Component/platform sharing will increase hugely over the next ten years between compatible manufacturers.

Also, dont be surprised to see Merc/BMW powertrains in the next generation Aston Martins/Jags/Land Rovers. These companies simply do not produce enough units to justify developing their own powertrains.:)

Mr.David wrote: »
    Hmm.....I thought the Merc C220 cdi was the first but could be wrong.

You're right! I knew FIAT was first in late '97 and BMW was early '98, but I just looked it up and the C220 CDI was still in '97 too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

BMW were first car maker with a 6 pot common rail diesel(the 530d). They were the first ever car maker to bring High Precision Injection, Valvetronic and second generation common rail technology to market(not saying they invented all of them for the pedantic around here).

Oh and we can expect to see BMW engines in other cars in the future as they're now selling their engines to rival manufacturers.

@unkel - I don't think we're going to see a Merc V12 in a BMW somehow, it's mere speculation on my part based on what I've read in BMW enthusiasts sites!

All I know is both companies do need a V12; these engines are still a pre requisite for big saloons like the 7 series in other parts of the world, for example the Middle East even in these era of environmental awareness and higher oil prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Certainly we won't be seeing any Citroen DS's again, or anything even remotely close to it.

Hopefully some of the madder folk at PSA keep bringing this up at meetings. :)

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/d5/d5.html

@unkel - I don't think we're going to see a Merc V12 in a BMW somehow, it's mere speculation on my part based on what I've read in BMW enthusiasts sites!

Surely no BMW enthusiast would ever suggest to use a merc V12? Especially not on an enthusiast site - that would by cyber-suicide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

BMW were first car maker with a 6 pot common rail diesel(the 530d).
    tut tut, grasping......
    They were the first ever car maker to bring High Precision Injection
    incorrect - pioneered in the '90's by Mitsubishi under the GDI badge.....
    Oh and we can expect to see BMW engines in other cars in the future as they're now selling their engines to rival manufacturers..
    so long as it's not the 4-pot petrols like the 318, that's fine by me !! :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Stekelly wrote: »
    Hopefully some of the madder folk at PSA keep bringing this up at meetings. :)

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/d5/d5.html

yum yum - a few messy bits, but I like it !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

galwaytt wrote: »
    incorrect - pioneered in the '90's by Mitsubishi under the GDI badge....

No, High Precision Injection is far more sophisticated than plain old direct injection, which is an excellent concept that I've championed many times as the future of petrol engines on this forum; it's like comparing the first diesels with direct injection to the latest common rail systems, they may be based on a similar concept but one is clearly superior than the other.

Warning - the rest of the post is full of nerdy stuff, if you''re normal - stop reading here:D

[Nerd Mode]Mitsubishi's system, and as I've previously owned a car with GDI(Volvo S40), I know the thing backwards, has 2 modes of operation; 'high performance' mode, which in spite of the name actualy is what it operates in most of the time, and 'lean burn' mode which it operates in above 35 mph under light throttle conditions, like going down hills, when you build up speed very gradually, travelling at constant speeds on the flat etc.

When it's in 'lean burn' mode it uses direct injection, when it's in high performance mode it uses traditional indirect injection. When it runs in direct injection mode it is remarkably economical; I've bettered 60 mpg in that car on several occasions going from the outskirts of Cork to Mallow and that involved driving at 60 mph but trying to use the accelerator and brakes as little as possible, it took a bit of effort but GDI will give significant improvements in mpg if you try hard enough, and I didn't bother with crap like slowing down, just more carefully.

The GDI engine is one of the coarsest 4 cylinder engines going; it makes a very harsh note above 4,000 rpm, it actually sounds like it's in pain and begs you to go below 4,000 rpm, it sounds like a diesel when cold and it is rather noisy even when warmed up(it is the only modern petrol engine I know of that gets quieter when it warms up). It's very flat above about 2,500 rpm too, but if you could put up with the appalling noise it made and battled on and forced that engine to go beyond 4,000 rpm, and persuaded it to hit 5, 6 and even the 7,000 rpm rev limiter it could get a shift on no problem.

BMW's HPI is a lot better than GDI, because it has an ultra lean burn mode(as lean burn above but as the name suggests it can run in even leaner mixtures i.e. even lower fuel consumption), a stoichiometric mode, which is used in moderate load conditions in effect it is direct injection but the mixture is less lean, and high power mode, which is as per high performance mode above in how it works, but in BMW's system it is only used when climbing steep hills and/or maximum power is required.

BMW's engines are no noisier nor any worse sounding than a conventional indirect injection system(not having driven one I don't know if they suffer from a refinement penalty like Mitsubishi's GDI engine but I have yet to see any evidence in the press that they are any less smooth or unrefined than the models they replace); early direct injection systems were a lot louder as per the GDI system Mitsubishi developed because of the physical operation of direct injection.

Oh and High Precision Injection is the only petrol engine in the world to use ultra precise Piezo injectors too.

In simple English the reason why High Precision Injection is better than any other direct injection system out there is because it can run in direct injection mode over a far wider range of operating conditions and even rev ranges than other systems.

In other words it is far more capable of achieving the stated mpg claims that you find in the brochures, and that's why BMW deliberately did not equip cars with direct injection until long after a lot of rivals, because they felt that Valvetronic would match the DI systems of the time in the mpg tests but could deliver far more in the real world than DI at the time.

I personally disagree with BMW on that one; I feel that Mitsubishi's GDI system does deliver real world mpg improvements(If I didn't have such a heavy right foot I know I'd have noticed it in my wallet because whenever I tried to drive economically with that engine the mpgs would improve very quickly; unfortunately life's too short to be worrying about frugality like that so that talent was wasted on someone like me), but there were too many other compromises in terms of reliability(though I never had a day's bother with mine, but then again I gave it plenty of revs a lot of the time and those engines gave trouble when they were driven too gently for extended periods), and it was noisier tha aconventional 4 pot, it wasn't as smooth, and it sounded like a bag of spanners in the morning, and it sounded terrible at even moderate engine speeds like 4,000 rpm, so I don't think the compromises were worth the mpg gain.

The more modern direct injection systems don't appear to have the compromises mentioned above, so there's no doubt it is a very good thing that more and more petrols now have it.[/Nerd Mode]

Advertisement