Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cover plan insurance acting the maggot........please comment

Options
  • 23-10-2008 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

in june 2006 i bought a laptop on finance from dixons.
    when i got the finance i also got what they call "coverplan",what they told me was that for a few extra euro i would have my laptop insured for anything including accidental damage,so i signed up.

then a few months ago i was watching a dvd and i fell asleep while watching the dvd.
    when i woke up it was dark and i just stood up not remembering i still had the laptop on my lap,as you might imagine it fell and broke.

now i had forgot the plan covered accidental damage and i just wrote the laptop off and thought it was my own stupidity so i would have to just suffer.

then recently i bought a desktop and noticed the sign again so i quizzed the assistant for a bit and he told me it was covered no problem they will fix it or replace it.

so sent it back and have just recived it and it is not repaired or replaced im a bit peeved. they claim the damage was malicious and its not covered for misuse damage.

now i am 31 and my fiance is 26 and we have no kids so we dont go wrecking things we paid 1000 euro for.

i forgot to add that i paid the finace off early on the laptop so it was fully paid off.

has anyone else been cught with this or can anyone help me out please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Apparently they are a nightmare to deal with, my advice is go through the basic motions with Dixons, then log a complaint with the ombudsman, here's contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

Write to them, maybe courier it and make sure someone signs for it. that way they can't say they never got it. Give them a date that you would like them to respond by, say a week or two to give them some time.

Make sure you're being reasonable, ie give them a few options (repair or replace), give them good time to respond, a week or two if you can. Then if you do take the issue further you can show that you didn't go in all guns blazing, you calmly asked for a resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The Coverplan covers accidental damage, which falling off your lap would be. How are they able to determine that this was malicious damage? That's just ridiculous. As said, write to them by registered post, and tell them to honour their policy or you'll take it to the financial regulator, or higher (small claims court would work).

Advertisement