Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembrance Sunday = PoPpY DaY

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Irlbo wrote: »
    Its a symbol of British imperealism,and is associated strongly with the British Army,so no I wouldnt wear it,Id rather spit on it,Ill wear the Easter Lily,it reminds of a time when Irishmen fought for freedom in whatever way they could

I think your reaction to the sight of the poppy is a personal thing. I wouldn't wear it myself, but I don't object to anybody else, Irish or English, doing so.

I think the countless, squandered lives symbolized by the lily and the poppy should always be remembered in some way. I may not agree with many of those who sport the lily or the poppy, but I'm happy to respect the right of their relatives and supporters to remember that their loved ones died, whether or not it was for Home Rule, other convictions, or because they had to take the Queen's shilling to feed their families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Thank you Camelot for your response.
    Camelot wrote: »
    I have mentioned the Flypast not taking place exactly twice in previous posts!
    As well as on other threads.
    Yes I am an Irishman with a Unionist perspective, just like about 30 thousand others cheering-on the parade yesterday
    some of dont hate Britishness :eek: some of us enjoy our cultural ties & strong similarities :eek: and some of us actually like Britain & British people too
    Wait a sec now... all of those apply to me too. Not being a unionist and enjoying British culture/liking British people... well the two aren't mutually exclusive. Here's the thing with me: I'm an out-and-out anglophile (got a death threat via pm from some loon on this message board once for saying as much). I love British music, film, TV, comedy/sense of humour, newspapers, magazines, broadcast journalism, football... however I object to the six counties being part of Britain and would like a united Ireland (in my heart moreso than my head) and I get angered by many of the historical events.
    I have never made any secret of my 'Pro British' leanings Dudess which I deliberately use as an 'Anti-Republican' weapon, have another look at the countless 'Anti British' posts on this Thread , or any other Thread 4 that matter & you will find the 'Anti-British' brigade are in full flow . . . . . . Am I am not allowed to put forward the 'Counter Argument'?
    Of course you are - it's just, it ain't what you do it's the way that you do it. Saying stuff like "it's heartening to see so many union flags" on an Irish message board... well you know that's gonna piss people off.
    In a nutshell (I dont agee with Republicans or their ideology 'period') so if you happen to be any other colour than 'Republican' then I am sure we can agree on many things, like some of us being allowed to be 'Irish' but within a 'British' context . . . .
    I would say I am moderately republican in my views on the North (I did not support the IRA's campaign of violence though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Camelot wrote: »
    ........Yes I am an Irishman with a Unionist perspective, just like about 30 thousand others cheering-on the parade yesterday - thats right Dudess, some of dont hate Britishness :eek: some of us enjoy our cultural ties & strong similarities :eek: and some of us actually like Britain & British people too :eek:

Might I request an answer to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

getz wrote: »
    as a irishman who will not buy a poppy because its{british} good luck to you--remember there will be germans -italians-turkish people in the graveyards in europe with poppy on respecting the dead --soldiers even though it was there people that these soldiers, who killed there country men-- but also remember it is your grandads uncles and family and fellow countrymen who died-respect your dead dont be a idiot all your life

I take it you wear an easter lilly every year to remember the dead who actually died for your country not a foreign one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I take it you wear an easter lilly every year to remember the dead who actually died for your country not a foreign one?

Where does the money go from the sale of the Easter Lilly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Where does the money go from the sale of the Easter Lilly?

To a good cause.

Where does the money go for Poppies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

An Irishman who has Unionist Pro British sympathies,how many times in life have you had the sh*t kicked out of you?,and justly?dont give me all you clap trap on what the poppy really means,its a British symbol,that adknowledges the British armies role in WW1,simple as

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

And yet again, the trenches have been dug.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement