Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crashed into a Traffic cone....

Options
  • 23-10-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

I was driving down the M50 today, when a traffic cone got blown out in front of my car because of the bad weather, had no option but to crash into it as there was a car behind me tailgating, bit of damage done, everyone was alright.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get the construction company to fork out for the damage or is it just my tough luck?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Should have jammed on and let the spoon behind run into you, then he'd have had to fork out for the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The open carriageway should be safe and free from construction debris. Send them a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Send them a solicitors letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Thanks for the info, I'll get onto the solicitor in the morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Years ago when I lived at home i was going to work at about half 6 and was driving up from the Beacon hospital towards the M50 they were still building it at the time.

As i was just turning right to drive down the side of the M50 a large piece of what I thought at the time was plywood blew up and over the side of the construction works at flew towards my windscreen i dodged the car to one side and the object hit the wing mirror I stopped and got out to look It was only cardboard so no damage I tell ya I nearly poohed myself when i saw it blow up and over.

I was told by the then G/F's mother to call the health and safety part of the construction company and report it to them as well. I didn't bother as there was no damage.

Also a guy stopped to see if I was alright unfortunately I took him up wrong and gave out to him I thought he was giving out because of where I stopped he said I understand I saw it happen and was just checking to see all was alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The traffic cone was probably not attached to its base. If it was It would never have blown over because they are damn heavy.

I hit around 100 or so one morning in the construction yard a few years back. It was dark and some female truck driver sort of knocked down the building my office was in (handbrake off in artic). They unloaded the cones off the side of the truck into my space around the side. I crashed into it in a 2001 Hilux which is sort of a tank and a good workhorse.

I saw the funny side of it sending cones in every direction. Chief Engineer made me pick them all up though.

F*ck they are heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I wouldn't go the solicitor route just yet. Report it to the nearest garda station to the scene so there is a record, then give the construction company a bell and see what they say. Would save you the expense of sending a solicitors letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Construction company will just deny liability. Waste of time calling them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Construction company will just deny liability. Waste of time calling them tbh.

Nope, the worst they can say is no.

Being from the Construction Industry, simply mention the HSA and they will jump to your beat. The less reports they have the more the NRA pays them month on month. Less reports mean more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Had a case where my car was damaged by a road after roadworks. Contacted the county council (not in DUblin) and I got a cheque from the contractor after a few weeks. The council contacted the contractor on my behalf.

Might be worth contacting the appropiate council or the NRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

maceocc2 wrote: »
    I was driving down the M50 today, when a traffic cone got blown out in front of my car because of the bad weather, had no option but to crash into it as there was a car behind me tailgating, bit of damage done, everyone was alright.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get the construction company to fork out for the damage or is it just my tough luck?
    blown out....... act of god give the guys a break,could have been a lot worse the way some people drive on m50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Is the cone alrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Tannylan wrote: »
    Is the cone alrite

lol, one of the best I heard in a while, you made my night loling still!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

send a solicitors letter to God.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

maceocc2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I'll get onto the solicitor in the morning. :)

Dont go sending Solicitors letters.

1. Report to Gardai
    2. Call Construction Company and report
    3. Follow up with a letter, keep a copy
    4. Wait for a response
    4a Deal with Construction Conpany's Insurance Company
    5. Report to HSA and follow up with another letter and keep a copy.
    6. Wait for a response
    7. Go to a Solicitor and demand that he pursue his costings from the other side and not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i nearly hit two of the cones, they were at the gaps in the barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

I've always wondered if I'd hit one, especially on the M50 when they are used to designate lanes. Also, on the N11, if left out, kids come along and often place them in the middle of the road, which is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Tannylan wrote: »
    Is the cone alrite

Good point :D
    The OP has clearly displayed the mens rea and actus reus required for conviction after driving straight at the cone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

mumhaabu wrote: »
    lol, one of the best I heard in a while, you made my night loling still!
    If that kept you laughing all night you are very easily amused :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

found the culprit....he seems to have survived the accident :pac:

traffic_20cone.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I'd imagine the construction company should pay for any damage. The cones are supposed to be weighed down with sand in the base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Hammertime wrote: »
    send a solicitors letter to God.

It wouldn't be the first time it was done.

Advertisement