Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK tax on Irish reg car

Options
  • 23-10-2008 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to tax an irish reg car in the uk? 60% of time spent in uk for next 18 months but I don't want to change the insurance cause it will cost more canceling the policy .. plus ntc already done for next year .. My Irish tax was up in June :eek: so currently the car is in the UK without any tax. Its privately parked mostly so safe enough .. I hope. :confused: UK tax is cheaper *surprise surprise* so would prefare to get that. Could not find anything on either gov tax sites. If I get Irish tax where there be a problem considering how late I am?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't think so. Also, depending on the pattern of your time in the UK your Irish insurance may not be valid.

You could re-register it over there, and then bring it back when you're done. If you do this right, and satisfy all the conditions, you won't be charged VRT when you bring it back.

However, if you can do that, you may as well sell it here, buy a car in the UK and bring it back with you VRT-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lumen wrote: »
    You could re-register it over there, and then bring it back when you're done. If you do this right, and satisfy all the conditions, you won't be charged VRT when you bring it back.
    No VRT applicable in this scenario.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Best bet is register the car in the UK and leave it on UK plates there is an English "VRT" fee of something like £50 :eek: *so expensive* to get it registered and you'd be set from there off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think you can 'freeze' your Irish insurance. Check with your company.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

esel wrote: »
    No VRT applicable in this scenario.

It depends. The OP said "60% of time spent in uk for next 18 months", which is not exactly clear-cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Lumen wrote: »
    It depends. The OP said "60% of time spent in uk for next 18 months", which is not exactly clear-cut.

VRT has already been paid on the vehicle if it's on Irish plates. Not even the Irish Government will charge it twice on the same car! (although it might give them an idea if they read this........)

It can be re-regged to the UK, then when it's brought back to Ireland the original plates will be put back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

R.O.R wrote: »
    VRT has already been paid on the vehicle if it's on Irish plates. Not even the Irish Government will charge it twice on the same car!

I know someone who had an Irish car, re-reg to UK & then back when home again, no VRT was paid to bring it home. Seems like a bit of effort to save a few quid in 18 months road tax though! Especially when you consider the £50 transfer fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thing is, if the OP reregisters the car in the UK then they will have to prove UK residency if they're caught driving it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Anan1 wrote: »
    Thing is, if the OP reregisters the car in the UK then they will have to prove UK residency if they're caught driving it here.

which I won't be able to do seen as I am a student and will have no UK residency during the summer when I'm home. Changing plates seems like more hassel than its worth. Do you think there will be a problem renewing my Irish tax online seen as its 4 months late?

*btw thanks for replies!*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

KlodaX wrote: »
    which I won't be able to do seen as I am a student and will have no UK residency during the summer when I'm home. Changing plates seems like more hassel than its worth. Do you think there will be a problem renewing my Irish tax online seen as its 4 months late?

*btw thanks for replies!*
    If the tax is that far out of date, you'll need to go into a motor tax office and do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

If the tax is that far out of date, you'll need to go into a motor tax office and do it.

That won't be possible untill Christmas. Twill have to do .. hopefully.

Thanks again.

Advertisement