Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light fitting blowing bulbs

• 23-10-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭

This is puzzling me.

I had 2 lighting fittings in my house, one used MES bulbs and the other used Mains Halogen bulbs. When they were in my house they were lit through a dimmer.

I moved them to another house when I got new light fittings. The fittings are now blowing bulbs monthly. There is no air restriction around the light. ANd the lights are switched on by a normal single gang switch.

Any advice as it does not make sense to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Higher voltage?
    It's not unheard of, especially if you are close to a sub-station.

Also, the dimmer probably reduced the power slightly even when turned up full.

I've the same problem with mains GU10s. They're blowing like feck recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Was thinking that. I will run some checks on that. I might fit dimmers with them as it might start them a bit easier and drop the voltage a bit.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

problems with bulbs can be caused by voltage fluctuations/surges or loose /bad connections assuming your bulbs are quality.you can buy soft start dimmers i think mk do them, also a surge diverter at the fusebox may help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Soft start dimmer sounds like an option. any idea how much?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

MK do a nice ones, about 25 to €30 for 500VA 1 gang 2 way. They need a deep box!

• Advertisement
Advertisement