Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are no fish in Ireland...

Options
  • 23-10-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Garymaxima,

I appreciate your sentiments and revulsion at the actions of poachers, as do all sports anglers but do you really believe that by not mentioning any angling spots that poaching will cease?? Please....

If we shut up about angling and pretend that there are no fish in any areas that the poachers will pack up?? Not the case at all.

Are you peeved if I say that i caught alot of salmon this year on the river Moy? (22 to the net, 5 to the table).Do you reckon that there will be an influx of poachers to Foxford as a result of this post? Do you think that poachers dont know where the productive areas are?

This is a chat forum and sharing info is a critical aspect of this medium, by failing to mention spots the conversation loses alot of its attraction.

By all means everyone should do their damndest against poaching but I think this may be a case of over reaction by some.

P.S. I dont like your approach of blanket posting on all open threads, say it once or open a specific thread for the topic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I think you are being over critical of the post, often in the past on forums anglers have given locations of off the beaten track spots and these are the ones that get targeted. The Bass forums were plauged by commercial fishermen when posters were a bit niave with there posts.
    Your example of the Moy is fine, but on a smaller less known river revealing it to be a hot spot would be blow, from poachers, fn's() and Irish fish mongers. Has to be seen at first hand how it can happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Yes it happens alright. On one occasion I witnessed a fishery owner having to call the gardai on account of particularly stubborn poachers that would not leave.
    They had bought a magazine at 9am, read the article mentioning the place, and turned up to do some "free fishing" with worms on a by invitation only fly water at 9:30.

I cringe when a newbie with a couple of fish to his credit blabs it all out in a public forum. Boy do they learn the hard way.
    Trouble is, occasionally they blab about a place I fish myself, and I'm looking at pike bones rotting on the bank for months afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 garymaxima

stylie wrote: »
    I think you are being over critical of the post, often in the past on forums anglers have given locations of off the beaten track spots and these are the ones that get targeted. The Bass forums were plauged by commercial fishermen when posters were a bit niave with there posts.
    Your example of the Moy is fine, but on a smaller less known river revealing it to be a hot spot would be blow, from poachers, fn's() and Irish fish mongers. Has to be seen at first hand how it can happen.

spot on stylie. and also chopperdog, by all means share venues, just do it pm and not post it for the whole world to see. rivers like the moy have a lot of eyes on it and regular baliff patrols on it. some of the smaller waters may not see people for a few days on end or longer. these are the waters at most risk. i'm just asking people to put a little more thought and foresight into the future of the sport in ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Gary
    I think it is up to an individual whether he wants to name a location. I'd agree with Chopper on his point regarding spamming threads (how many times did you make that post?)
    JD

jd wrote: »
    Gary
    I think it is up to an individual whether he wants to name a location. I'd agree with Chopper on his point regarding spamming threads (how many times did you make that post?)
    JD

But if a spot does get hammered after a person reveals it, its not just that individual that will suffer its all the other anglers that share it..we are in a time where information re-sources are plentiful, magazines, fourms, papers and anglers are a lot more mobile now then 15 years ago, better cars/roads. Word gets out about a spot and guys are travelling a 100 miles to get to it. I saw this first hand on a little salmon river I fished this year, went from never seeing a stranger on it in twenty years to not being able to park a car near it, just because word got out..
    Be careful who you brag to

• Advertisement

But if a spot does get hammered after a person reveals it, its not just that individual that will suffer its all the other anglers that share it..we are in a time where information re-sources are plentiful, magazines, fourms, papers and anglers are a lot more mobile now then 15 years ago, better cars/roads. Word gets out about a spot and guys are travelling a 100 miles to get to it. I saw this first hand on a little salmon river I fished this year, went from never seeing a stranger on it in twenty years to not being able to park a car near it, just because word got out..
    Be careful who you brag to
    I understand all that, and I am vague about a location where I think it is necessary. However, I don't hink it is up to mods to arbitrate on which marks should be named (or not)

I understand all that, and I am vague about a location where I think it is necessary. However, I don't hink it is up to mods to arbitrate on which marks should be named (or not)

I agree with that sentiment, but I think a mod should just have a quite word via pm about it, and I would still advice people to use some common sense about revealing spots..again for example on the English Bass forums mods actually edit posters comments if they post a marks location, but as I have stated they have suffered at the hand of the commercial fishermen monitoring the media...

... agree with that sentiment, but I think a mod should just have a quite word via pm about it, and I would still advice people to use some common sense about revealing spots....
    Unfortunately many fishing beginners who had a recent success feel they want to share.
    ... on the English Bass forums mods actually edit posters comments if they post a marks location...
    Quite right ... the moderator is better informed than the noddy posting it as to the effect of the post. Considering the poaching that goes on .. a mod should delete the over-specific posts IMHO. Moderators in other Irish forums delete such posts, and then send a pm to the poster explaining why.
    ... but as I have stated they have suffered at the hand of the commercial fishermen monitoring the media...
    Not just in England. It's the same here.
    What do you call guys arriving in a van with a net?
    Or guys selling them the nets for money?
    Or guys fishing daytime in various locations putting fish into (legitimate) keepnets, but with a van organised to go from one to the next emptying the keepnet contents and removing them from the scene before te bailiff arrives? A team effort using day and night hours of labour is commercial poaching, rod or net it's still poaching. Killing more than you can eat is obviously killing fish to sell fish stocks for money.

They are stealing my, and your fish to sell for money. It's that simple. Always has been. FN or Irish doesn't matter, all poachers are the same, just miserly greedy fishermen who break the law for money, destroying our fishing in the process, and then moving on to another water.

We should not help them in this forum. That is my view.

coolwings wrote: »
    Not just in England. It's the same here.
    What do you call guys arriving in a van with a net?
    Or guys selling them the nets for money?
    Or guys fishing daytime in various locations putting fish into (legitimate) keepnets, but with a van organised to go from one to the next emptying the keepnet contents and removing them from the scene before te bailiff arrives? A team effort using day and night hours of labour is commercial poaching, rod or net it's still poaching. Killing more than you can eat is obviously killing fish to sell fish stocks for money.

Ya but as they are removing nuisance coarse fish should we encourage them ;);)

"Meat men" kill what they catch. Trout in trout waters, coarse in coarse waters.

• Advertisement

Gary
    JD

about 12 times. sorry but i think it was the most effective way to grab peoples attention. feel free to name locations, but they won't remain untouched if you do...

garymaxima wrote: »
    about 12 times. sorry but i think it was the most effective way to grab peoples attention....

It can be an effective way of getting banned from a board if the admins are in a bad mood.

It can be an effective way of getting banned from a board if the admins are in a bad mood.

well, hopefully they are reasonable people who can see the logic behind me doing so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Magic14

garymaxima wrote: »
    well, hopefully they are reasonable people who can see the logic behind me doing so

Obviously not :rolleyes:

Advertisement