Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GNOME went mad today...

• 23-10-2008 10:56pm

I started getting errors that GNOME power management config files were wrong and I noticed that unbuntu was running in the 'low' graphics mode (the blue coloured bars and the really clunky buttons) rather then the normal (default) theme. However compiz was still working.. :confused::confused:

I reinstalled the power manager - no effect. I then purged and reinstalled it, no effect. I've reconfigured x - still in this low graphics mode..

Anyone got any ideas?

I've attached a screen shot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Try installing new graphics drivers maybe?

I reinstalled compiz yesterday.. no go!

Edit: just reinstalled all the nvidia drivers there and still in this crappy low res mode.

Is there something I have to do to manually switch into ''pretty'' mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

There's an Nvidia gui config utility..

nvidia-settings

Maybe try tweaking that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

system->preferences->screen resolution maybe?

Nope - messed around with that and with 'Appearences' as well. The 'pretty' function is selected.. jsut not working..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

How about trying
    nvidia-xconfig

from a tty screen.

Excellent! It works!!

However, now my mouse touchpad seems to randomly be stopping working..

I did get an error when I ran nvidia-config that my touchpad wasn't supported..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

best to dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg after running the nvidia setup. hopefully will get your touchpad back

that was the first port of call..

Turns out that all my settings have been changed - touchpad was turned off, a lot of my custom changes were wiped. Mouse still acting up but its working and I have way to much to do at the moment then to spend a day trying to get it work. I have the the little stud mouse thing as a fall back anyway.

Everything went to **** last night when I reconfigured X - I was getting disk errors and nothing was working. Running fsck seems to have fixed the errors and I have got the desktop back to a workable state.

Luckily all the programs seem unaffected. If I get time over the next few days I'll try and figure out what exactly has happened (more likely, post here asking!)

Advertisement