Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make my son agree to a haircut

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

he will probably never agree to it ..... do it in his sleep mhhhuuuaaaahhhaa haaa:p I bribe my 4 year old. I set a piece of chocolate right infront of him out of reach but he can see it. I tell him if he sits nice and still for his hair cut he can have it

Now remember he has to sit nice and still. That is his task... not if he lets you cut his hair, dont give him a choice in that because the answer will always be no.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

At the end of the day, you are the parent and grown up, you cant allow a 2 years to dictate to you - end of story, if i tried what you are talking about with my parents, i would have known all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

I know you said you tried bribery but I believe everyone has their price.
    A visit to the toy shop to let him pick the toy he wants then after he thinks he's getting it tell him it's his after a haircut.

Others are saying do not let him get the better of you that he's only 3 but if he's throwing a fit around a pair of scissors it could be dangerous.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know you said you tried bribery but I believe everyone has their price.
    A visit to the toy shop to let him pick the toy he wants then after he thinks he's getting it tell him it's his after a haircut.

Others are saying do not let him get the better of you that he's only 3 but if he's throwing a fit around a pair of scissors it could be dangerous.
    My chap used to throw an almighty fit when getting his toenails cut. (with scissors). I always managed to do it and he still has all his toes, plus mentally he is not scarred and lets me cut them no bother now. It can be done, if youre careful. With hair as long as described here, the worst would come off in one go, by catching it in your fist and lopping it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

^ There is no way I could do that without both of us ending up in the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

^ There is no way I could do that without both of us ending up in the hospital.
    Well it dont sound pretty but Ive had to semi sit on the wriggling little guy to do it. Noone gets injured though. But awful as that sounds, its better than having his curling toenails cutting into his toes, and like I said, he doesnt mind now at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I am with the little guy on this.

The more I think of it the more Im rooting for him

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Have you tried letting him do it himself? I mean it won't be neat, but if you let him do the first snip (obviously supervising closely with the scissors), he might get over the fear of pain, and let you take over?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

How about you switch his shampoo for your Imact or Veet and start all over again?

thats an idea

it could be a shampoo eyes thing - didnt think of that

my son had that but now is a big lad long hair and bass guitar and no-one can cut his hair

you can get sud free shampoo for kids and a kind of a face guard that goes around the head ears neck etc and shields the eyes from suds- the face guards were really cheap in mothercare -the shampoo a bit more expensive

so you are only taking away hair to stop suds gettiong in his eyes which is bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

How about you switch his shampoo for your Imact or Veet and start all over again?

Ha ha ha ha, one way of getting rid of the hair:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

At the end of the day, you are the parent and grown up, you cant allow a 2 years to dictate to you - end of story, if i tried what you are talking about with my parents, i would have known all about.

This is it.

You are supposed to be in charge, not the child. I have seen this exact behaviour from a relative's child - he's nine now and still doing the exact same thing, at the barbers, at the dentists, at the dinner table. Yours is young enough for you to regain control, so do it.

There seems to be a modern culture of allowing children to do what they please, to be coddled, almost deified! Children are what you make them, but we are letting children make themselves.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    This is it.

You are supposed to be in charge, not the child. I have seen this exact behaviour from a relative's child - he's nine now and still doing the exact same thing, at the barbers, at the dentists, at the dinner table. Yours is young enough for you to regain control, so do it.

There seems to be a modern culture of allowing children to do what they please, to be coddled, almost deified! Children are what you make them, but we are letting children make themselves.
    BOOOOOOOOOOO - Shes behind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Can we keep the discussion sensible please.

I don't agree with kids ruling the roost.

I don't agree with telling a child someone thing they are a girl is a bad thing,
    I think it starts of sexist gender stereotyping of girls being lesser.

I don't agree with traumatising a child over hair.

I do think that the health and hygine of the child should be put first.

I do think that kids should have a certain amount of freedom of expression when it comes to themselves.

So if a boy wants to have long or longish hair, that would not bother me as long as it can be cleaned and groomed.

If the child has developed a hair cutting phobia then that does need to be tackled and there are lots of good and positive ways to do that rather then deriding him and other children who happen to be female.

Really he's your son, find a comprise that works for both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lisa6360 wrote: »
    I'm having to battle with knots and clumps *I've* never even had, and I have very long hair.
    How about you get a hair cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

There is a Childrens' hairdresser on the 1st parking floor of the Jervis Centre. Decked out in racing car chairs and toys. I would say the hairdressers there know all the tricks in getting a 3 year old still. Any satisfied customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

The only thing I can think of thats causing him to freak out is that he thinks cutting his hair will hurt him, he feels it when you brush his hair so he probably assumes it would be very painful when you cut it, thats probably why he freaks out (rather than actually really loving his hair)

Take him to a kids hairdressers, they should know a few tricks

While we are posting the hair is growing............:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think maybe an electric razor to the head while he's asleep might do the trick.

Just be sure to get a quiet one.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Fionnanc wrote: »
    There is a Childrens' hairdresser on the 1st parking floor of the Jervis Centre. Decked out in racing car chairs and toys. I would say the hairdressers there know all the tricks in getting a 3 year old still. Any satisfied customers?

We use that one for our nearly 3 year old. He went through a phase for a couple of months where he didn't want it cut but last month no protest at all. Just sat there watching Bob the Builder waiting for his lollipop. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Is it any wonder so many kids have no respect for adults?
    I don't know whats worse - that you won't cut a 2 year old's hair without his 'agreement' or the pathetic suggestions in the replies:

"Bribe him, trick him, cut it while he's asleep...." Bollox!

Why are you negotiating with a 2 year old?

Get an electric hair trimmer, one parent holds him still and the other cuts the child's hair. Five minutes of screaming and you're done, and far more importantly the child will learn that screaming doesn't always get you what you want.

By the sound of it thats a lesson he badly needs to learn.

Gurgle wrote: »
    I don't know whats worse - that you won't cut a 2 year old's hair without his 'agreement' or the pathetic suggestions in the replies:

Whats really great is that she hasnt - put the little guys feelings first- and resisted pressure to use her power to force the issue.

I can see a happy well adjusted kid in the maklng.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

It seems to me that the haircut issue is one that gives the little fellow lots of fondly desired attention - even if that attention is negative.

If you left him alone about it, a time would come when he got a hero-worship crush on another kid and wanted to look like him, and the problem - such as it is - would be over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

CDfm wrote: »

I can see a happy well adjusted kid in the maklng.;)

I can see a spoilt brat in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,413 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I can see a spoilt brat in the making.

Why do people bother having kids when they have no respect for kids in the first place? Nothing wrong with not liking them; but if you don't then do the world a favour and don't procrate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We had this with my nephew and we told him ants would live in the long hair becuase long hair makes sugar - the shame of it lol! :D We had ants all over the garden and some in the house at the time so he bought the story when we produced sugar that we got 'from his hair'. Another time my dad took him to the barbers with him and when he saw everybody else getting their hair cut - especially big boys he had no problems getting his done. He's 13 now and gets it cut every other week!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Why do people bother having kids when they have no respect for kids in the first place? Nothing wrong with not liking them; but if you don't then do the world a favour and don't procrate.
    Cos kids are great. If they are yours you love them.

And sex is right up there too with great things.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,413 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

CDfm wrote: »
    Cos kids are great. If they are yours you love them.

And sex is right up there too with great things.

Oh I agree. I was aiming at the people who DON'T respect kids.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

My nephew used to get really really upset when my sister tried to cut his hair, finger and toe nails and even brush his teeth. It wasn't that he was being bold, he was really and truly upset and felt that it hurt him. I was at her house one time when he was in dire need of a hair cut and it took her husband kneeling down and talking to him, reassuring him about it while my sister took an electric razor to it. It was traumatic for me looking at that never mind for them doing it or him enduring it.
    I spoke with my sister about it afterward because I was shocked at this. She said that she'd had her son assessed and apparently he was on the low end of the dyspraxia spectrum and one of the symptoms of this is hypo sensitivity to touch and often children with this had a fear of hair cuts, nail cutting, washing teeth, even having their skin stroked as it (in their heads at least) hurt them.
    She used to let his hair grow for a fairly long time but when it got in his eyes the school began to complain and she found that giving him a short back and sides which lasted for ages was the only way to go.
    Thankfully now that he is 9 he has gotten over this fear but it did take lots of reassurance from my sister and perseverance too. OP I'm not suggesting that your son is dyspraxic but wanted to share my sister's experience and let you know that it did work itself out but unfortunately not without tears on all sides and also to point out that this may be more than his simply being a strong willed toddler.
    Good luck with it. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement