Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Chelsea v Liverpool

• 23-10-2008 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭

121749687616.gif versus 121749687410.gif

Sunday October 26, 2008
    Kick off: 13:30
    Stamford Bridge

First meets Second on Sunday, with both teams hoping to put some distance between themselves and... Hull City. No team news yet, but here are the injury lists from Physio Room:

Liverpool 4
    R Babel Sprained Ankle 26th Oct 08
    F Torres Hamstring Injury 8th Nov 08
    P Degen Broken Ribs 29th Oct 08
    M Skrtel PCL Tear Dec 08

Chelsea 3
    M Ballack Calf Muscle Strain 9th Nov 08
    D Drogba Knee Injury 9th Nov 08
    M Essien ACL Knee Injury Mar 09

This is off the back of European ties for both clubs. Liverpool were away in Spain, while Chelsea were at home.

Alonso, Gerrard and Keane all came off for Liverpool during the Athletico game, but only as a precaution. Torres is almost certain to miss out.

Chelsea are missing arguably their three most important players in Ballack, Drogba and Essien. However, such is their squad depth that they've looked very impressive without them!

This will be Scolari's first meeting with Benitez, and it should be interesting to see how he approaches the game. Chelsea - Liverpool games have tended to be extremely cautious, tactical games, but Scolari likes free-flowing, attacking football.

It will also be both club's second Big Four tie. Liverpool took 3 points at home to Man Utd earlier in the season, while Chelsea snatched a late draw against the same opposition at Stamford Bridge to maintain their unbeaten home record.

Needless to say, this is a crucial game for both sides, and an opportunity to establish a clear lead at the top of the table.

I'll hazard a guess at Liverpool's line-up:

Reina
    Arbeloa-Agger-Carra-Dossena
    Mach-Alonso
    Kuyt
    Gerrard---Riera
    Keane

The XI will almost certainly be close to that, though Rafa may go 4-4-2. I'd expect a 4-5-1 to counteract Chelsea, and hope to nick a goal.

With injury concerns over Keane, Gerrard and Alonso, I wouldn't be surprised to see Benayoun come in. He had a poor game midweek though. Aurelio may come in for Dossena too, but I think Rafa will persist. Agger's looked a little shaky, but I don't think Hyypia will be brought in cold to a game like this.

Predictions? 1-1.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I think this game will be very tight as usual. I can't see any other result other than a draw. Liverpool have been shaky at the back recently but I think they will step it up a gear on Sunday.

Hopefully Deco will continue on with his superb form he had before he got injured. Quite a few stray passes the other night. Mikel will be vital again and I think he should marshall the midfield fairly well. I just worry about our options up front. Anelka is just not performing and as usual we are dependent on goals from other area.

Hopefully a Chelsea win but realistically I'd be happy with a draw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wat id like: 0 - 1 liverpool

wat id accept: 0 - 0

wat will probably happen: 1 - 0 chelski :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Because i have absolutely no idea what the result will be, im calling a draw, simply as its the only way the symmetry can be carried on on the games played record. Both teams have identical records so far this season, each won the first 2 games, then drew one, then won one, then drew one, then won the next 3, so i expect a draw to carry on the trend :)

Love a win though.

I expect Aurelio to start, has been fantastic the last few times he's played against Chelsea. Still ruing the injury he got which caused John 'Own Goal' Riise to come on :(

Hope Babel looks more lively then he did last night when he gets his cameo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hoping for a draw, but Chelseas midfield and fullbacks will destroy what has been a shakey Liverpool defence of late. Rafa actually attacked in both games last season, having more possession home and away. Terry and Carvaliho didn't play together in either of the games and by all accounts they will be fit for Sunday. The midfield trio of Deco, Mikel and Lampard is very strong, with Mikel looking very solid of late.

So 2-0 to the home side.

Then again Liverpool do have the mighty Kuyt. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Any Chelsea fans want to hazard a guess at the likely Chelsea side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I fear a 1-0 Chelsea win. Although it really depends on how Liverpool play it. If they go for them and close them down quickly they can win. If they hold off like the first half against Wigan and the last half hour on Wednesday night, they've no hope.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

3 or 4 nil Chelsea. Liverpool to be brought back down to earth with a bang.

Hopefully get to see this in a pub near Wembley. Kick off is at 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Any Chelsea fans want to hazard a guess at the likely Chelsea side?

I'll give it a shot. (this is assuming the injury situation mentioned above stays the same)

Cech

Bosingwa----Terry---Carvalho
    A. Cole

Mikel

Lampard
    Deco

-J. Cole
    Malouda/Kalou

Anelka

From what i've seen of Liverpool I'd be surprised if we didn't win this tbh. Don't think that you've been playing great stuff (which is really worrying because you've being getting good results) whereas we have been amazing. Roma didn't get a shot on goal, 5 past Middlesbrough.

I'd say we'll win by 2 goals, especially since without Torres I'm expecting a toothless Liverpool.You've also been shipping a few goals against inferior opposition (although restricting Athletico to one was impressive) so I do expect us to score a few by dominating the wings . Having said that, considering it's a big game, Gerrard will almost certainly score, probably a last minute streak breaking winner via a Carragher assist;)

Chelsea are missing arguably their three most important players in Ballack, Drogba and Essien. However, such is their squad depth that they've looked very impressive without them!

To be honest, I'd love to hear that argument. Drogba maybe but not the other two

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

everybody is dying for us to fall back down to earth,

truth is we are where we are because we earned that spot so far this season,

And I expect is to go ahead of chelsea at the weekend,
    If not we don't deserve to be top, but until then we don't need a reality slap because we're well aware of reality and at the moment that's being joint top going into a massive game on sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If Chelsea attack us from the start i think they could be in trouble because we will hit them on the counter all day. If they sit back, soak up and pressure and counter then they could absolutely stuff us.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    everybody is dying for us to fall back down to earth,

truth is we are where we are because we earned that spot so far this season,

In fairness, I wouldn't exactly say you earned it. You got really lucky with Boro and haven't exactly impressed in your other games. If both teams play like they have so far this season and the gods stay far away from the Bridge there is only one winner, especially with our home record and your record against the top 4

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Bubs101 wrote: »
    In fairness, I wouldn't exactly say you earned it. You got really lucky with Boro and haven't exactly impressed in your other games. If both teams play like they have so far this season and the gods stay far away from the Bridge there is only one winner, especially with our home record and your record against the top 4

**** that to be honest,
    I listen to it every year - like when chelsea got some reall luck last year and were given a point against us for some crazy reason.
    Apparently the league table doesn't lie.
    We haven't had luck we've just worked our bollox off for the 90 minutes everygame,

where was our luck when we were robbed of 2 points (points that would put us clear in first place) from stoke.

go away with that nonsense - you may be playing better football than anyone else in the world right now but that's absolutely ****ing irelavant if you get outplayed by liverpool as ye usually do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Easy 3-0 to Chelsea unforunately. Pool looked jaded second half on Wednesday and despite all their heroics this season are punching above their weight.

They are not dominating teams like a league challenger should be, yes its a good sign to come back, but having to it every week. Its a better sign to cruise through most games and then have to come back the odd times you play poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    If they hold off like the first half against Wigan and the last half hour on Wednesday night, they've no hope.

Are you serious? Neither the Wigan or Man City matches firs halves were much to do with Liverpool's performance. Both were down to the oppossition running the life out of the themselves and not giving Liverpool a chance on the ball - hence always ending up going backwards in order to retain possession. The tactics employed against us are exactly the same as what we employed against the likes of Barca and Juve in the CL in recent years.

Liverpool fans argued at the time that Liverpool made them look poor. Wigan and City should be given the same credit for both of those performances.

As for the match. I am not particularly worried for some reason. That is not to say that I believe for a second that we have nothing to be worried about or that we will get a result of this. If things works in our favour we might be able to pull something out of the bag but I fully expect Chelsea to win this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stamford Bridge? A point would be a great result for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Think Chelsea will walk it 2 or 3 -0 .
    They have been fantastic so far this season, and I just cannot see Liverpool's back 4 been able to deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keep it up chaps, as any sort of draw will make loads here look silly! :)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

1-1, same as the Chelsea- United game, Pool to take lead and Chelsea to equalise in last 20 mins or so probably from a corner:)

mike65 wrote: »
    Keep it up chaps, as any sort of draw will make loads here look silly! :)

Mike

It's a possibilty, Spurs got 1 of their 2 points at the Bridge. Chelsea actually have a better away record so far this season which is unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think we can win this! I'm gonna say two one to Liverpool!

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    Apparently the league table doesn't lie.

I completely agree. Here's the goal difference for both teams so far
    Chelsea +16
    Liverpool+7
    We have been playing much better

I completely agree. Here's the goal difference for both teams so far
    Chelsea +16
    Liverpool+7
    We have been playing much better

Don't think anyone is disputing that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea have been playing better than Liverpool. But the fact that Liverpool are level with them despite not having hit top gear yet and also having played a few tough games already (Utd/City away/Villa away) is a good sign.

But the difference hasnt been massive & the game on Sunday could go either way. Too close to call in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The anticipation for this one is starting to build now. Top of the table clash. :)

Unless something extraordinary happens you would have to imagine it will be very tight. Presuambly Benitez will try and keep it tight, but after the substitutions in the Wigan game who knows? I can't see Chelsea changing their style too much and I would expect them to play their his usual game.

I think both teams in mid-week had an eye on this game, Liverpool probably slightly moreso than Chelsea, so I wouldnt be too concerned about those performances. People have been going on a bit that the Liverpool defence has looked a bit shakey since Skrtel got injured and that's true but I would expect it to improve once Agger gets more and more game time. Not surprising that he looks a bit rusty after being out for pretty much a full year.
    Over the next few games I'm sure they'll get back to their use mean selves. A clean sheet here would be a tasty one to get the ball rolling ;)

I think a win would be a massive result for Liverpool especially if its without Torres. With the upcoming run of relatively easy games it would put us in a superb position. I would be well pleased with a draw, which would be a very good result and I don't think a loss (Fowler forbid) would be a crippling blow in the title race - Obviously it wouldn't be great but I don't think it would mean Liverpool's title ambitions would be over. In fact I could imagine a scenario where Liverpool perform well but lose 1-0 leaving me a lot less disappointed than the draw against Stoke.

On the injury front : -

From ShanksLegend on RAWK - (a pretty reliable insider who has a good track record)
    Torres has started running again however i doubt he is gonna make it sunday, they are gonna leave it till last thing on Sat to see how he is.

However it is very doubtful he will play...

Gerrard will be ok, however dont know about Keane and Xabi yet

Don't think there is any chance Torres will be risked.

Pretty sure Gerrard will play - just thought he looked a bit tired on Wednesday

I'm hoping Keane will play as I think he could possibly (hopefully) be entering into a bit of a goal-scoring run of form. Twould be massive if he got the winner in the 89th minute against Chelsea for his first league goal (Failing the 89th minute winner a hat-trick would do too ;) ) I didnt see any particular knock he picked up mid-week and was surprised at his substition when it happened. I just think with Torres out he would be a big loss up-front against the Chelsea defence. I would like to see Alonso play too but I don't think he would be as big a loss.

I also wouldnt be too suprised if one of the squad-players popped up with a key bit of play - so far El Zhar and Penannt have both popped up with nice cameo-type assists so far this season - what odds Benni, Lucas or Ngog doing something similar from the subs bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

0-1, 1-1, or 1-2.

Liverpool know how to beat them, and will.
    Chelsea's style this year is made for Liverpool, and I imagine Chelsea looking very ordinary on Sunday.

Pepe'll probably have a few great saves to make, cause of the wealth of talent at Chelsea, but I really can't see them winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

5er on dirk kyut anytime goalscorer ;)

weemcd wrote: »
    5er on dirk kyut anytime goalscorer ;)

I have a tenner down on the same.:p

You think they would share it with everyone else, no one has had a clue in 4 years. :D

Boggles wrote: »
    You think they would share it with everyone else, no one has had a clue in 4 years. :D

Well it involves not having a Chelsea fan as the referee.;)

If Chelsea try and play their expansive game, Liverpool will win.
    If Chelsea are more conservative, it'll be a draw.

What makes this different is that Skolari has no personal idea what this match is going to be like, while Rafa is well versed.

Chelsea got lucky against a Utd not at their best.
    Can't see it happening again.

• Advertisement

Well it involves not having a Chelsea fan as the referee.;)

What makes this different is that Skolari has no personal idea what this match is going to be like, while Rafa is well versed.

Chelsea got lucky against a Utd not at their best.
    Can't see it happening again.

Thats a very simplistic view, also writing off Scolari for not having a clue what to expect is naive, unless they got rid of all vcr's and tellys from the Bridge.

0-1, 1-1, or 1-2.

Chelsea's style this year is made for Liverpool, and I imagine Chelsea looking very ordinary on Sunday.

Pepe'll probably have a few great saves to make, cause of the wealth of talent at Chelsea, but I really can't see them winning.

Well, i wouldn't agree with "can't see (Chelsea) winning". I certainly can see them winning, They're playing great stuff this season.
    But yeah, i just have a sneaking suspicion that Liverpool will nick it.

Torres' injury we can handle. But my blood runs cold when i think of going into battle without Dirk!!!!!!
    What a hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

The rumours are Bruno Cheyrou is being flown in specially for this match!!

Seriously though I think if we nullify Lampard we have a great chance...

Unleash the BABEL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I'm surprised at the (mostly) confident approach to this game by most Liverpool fans on this thread. I'd say we will be lucky to get a draw, I'd gladly take it now.

The chances are that Chelsea could turn on the style, and beat Liverpool well in a manner that Liverpool try to play in.

The backs worry me. Dossena, although improved on his weekend performance mid-week, is not up to speed. Agger is still not 100% up to speed either, and Arbeloa has been woeful.

I would like to see Babel start, as Ithink his width could trouble Chelsea.

All in all, I'd settle for a draw, but I fear that a 2 or 3 nil for Chelsea is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

monkey9 wrote: »
    Torres' injury we can handle. But my blood runs cold when i think of going into battle without Dirk!!!!!!
    What a hero!

LMAO:D:D

Hobart wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the (mostly) confident approach to this game by most Liverpool fans on this thread. I'd say we will be lucky to get a draw, I'd gladly take it now.

The chances are that Chelsea could turn on the style, and beat Liverpool well in a manner that Liverpool try to play in.

The backs worry me. Dossena, although improved on his weekend performance mid-week, is not up to speed. Agger is still not 100% up to speed either, and Arbeloa has been woeful.

I would like to see Babel start, as Ithink his width could trouble Chelsea.

All in all, I'd settle for a draw, but I fear that a 2 or 3 nil for Chelsea is on the cards.

Sure why not be confident. I'm fully aware that Chelsea could turn it on and win three nil. No doubt about it, they're quality and to be honest, i think it's them for the league. I thought so before the season started and the way things have gone, that view has only strengthened.
    But sure, we're unbeaten. We're playing in a match that is between the top two and if we win, we go top. I just think, feck all the doom and gloom and pessimistic prediction, it's not impossible for us to go there and win. Enjoy the position we're in at the moment and let's just go for it!

• Advertisement

Could a Liverpool fan explain to me why they are so confident of beating the new attacking Chelsea and why their style is made for it? I'm really having trouble grasping it. From what I've seen so far, Chelsea are strongest on the flanks with Cole finally being given license to do what he does best and Bosingwa more than complimenting him. Liverpool look fairly weak on the flanks. Dossena has not shown his Udinese form at all and I think we'll rip you apart on the wings and the game will depend on which Anelka shows his face

Also, Liverpool fans aren't giving Scolari any credit. He's taken to English football wonderfully so i don't see why you'd expect it to stop tommorow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dont think anyone's taking credit away from Scolari, all that was said about him was that he has no personal experience of this tie, which he obviously doesn't...

Chelsea are the better team, but I could see Liverpool playing this the same way they play their big european knock out ties, and the same way they played chelsea in the CL last year, play at a high tempo and just hound and hassle everyone so theres no room for oppositions skills. Its something we've seen pool do time and time again to stop the best, most skillful teams playing, Chelsea, Barca, Inter, Juve, Arsenal - it works.

In all the liverpool V chelsea games there have only been 2 clear cut wins which weren't particularly close, 1 per team, and i expect this weekend to be the same.

Definately throwing my hat on a draw or a narrow win for either team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Cant see beyond Chelski in this one.

2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Could a Liverpool fan explain to me why they are so confident of beating the new attacking Chelsea and why their style is made for it? I'm really having trouble grasping it. From what I've seen so far, Chelsea are strongest on the flanks with Cole finally being given license to do what he does best and Bosingwa more than complimenting him. Liverpool look fairly weak on the flanks. Dossena has not shown his Udinese form at all and I think we'll rip you apart on the wings and the game will depend on which Anelka shows his face

Also, Liverpool fans aren't giving Scolari any credit. He's taken to English football wonderfully so i don't see why you'd expect it to stop tommorow

I am no where near as confident as Karma there but I can see where he is coming on, i.e. it isn't completely baseless.

Last season, Liverpool actually played remarkebly well against Chelsea in the 4 fixtures. The home game early in the season could have easily been 3 points to the Pool only for a dodgy penalty. The game in Stamford Bridge was also a surprisingly good math for the Pool. I think that ended up being faily tight.

Then there was the 2 CL matches. Both sides done extrememely well but once again, Liverpool could have easily come out of the home match as victors only for that OG by Riise. That away goal obviously had a dramatic effect on the 2nd leg with Liverpool having to go on the offensive. Chelsea won through in the end fair and square but I am pretty sure that remember thousands of Chelsea fans ****ting themselves towards the end.

That is how Liverpool performed against an extremely organised and more defensively minded Chelsea that were extremely difficult to get goals against. We actually scored!!

Now that Chelsea are a far more offensively minded team, there is no doubt that they are going to be a greater threat going forward and as we have been dodgy at the back, I am obviously worried about conceeding a few. Saying that though, I would be alot more confident about scoring 1 or 2 than previous years.

Liverpool missing Torres is a massive deal but Chelsea are missing enough key players as well. Chelsea will obviously be favourites and I would obviously be happy with a draw but Liverpool can defo come out of this with a victory if a few things go their way. I would be surprised though.

As for the comment about Scholari. He obviously has the big match experience so I doubt it will be a significant factor. There was an ongoing grudge between Jose and Rafa that was blatantly obvious. That obviously transfered onto the pitch. As things stand, 3 of the 4 groups involved are well are aware of it and are mentally familair with it, while 1 has never experienced what exists between both teams/clubs.

It likely won't be a factor but it's a valid enough discussion point.

Thats a very simplistic view, also writing off Scolari for not having a clue what to expect is naive, unless they got rid of all vcr's and tellys from the Bridge.

Yes, cause tv's really take in the attitudes of players and fans.
    Delicious irony Boogles.

Claiming I have a simplistic view, while implying that the animosity and rivalry built up between Liverpool and Chelsea in the last 4 years - three CL semi finals. League Cup final, countless battles at Anfield and SB, conticuous jostling in the media - can be summed up by watching a few tapes.

Very simplistic there Boogles.

• Advertisement

Interesting to see the spread of goals in the league last year between the 2 teams. Goals this season in brackets.

Liverpool

Torres 24 (5)
    Gerrard 11 (1)
    Crouch 5
    Vorinon 5
    Benayoun 4
    Babel 4 (1)
    Kuyt 3 (3)
    Pennat 2
    Alonso 2
    Masherano 1
    Aurelio 1
    Hypia 1
    Sissiko 1
    Reira 0 (1)

3 og's

Chelsea

Lampard 10 (3)
    Drogba 8
    Ballack 7
    J Cole 7 (2)
    Kalou 7 (3)
    Essien 6
    Shevchenko 5
    Wright-Philips 2
    Bellitti 2 (2)
    Alex 2
    Pizarro 2
    Malouda 2 (1)
    Terry 1
    A Cole 1
    Anelka 1 (4)
    Deco 0 (2)
    Carvalho 0 (1)
    Bosingway 0 (1)

1 og

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What that list tells me is that Kuyt is in great form and I should stick 20 on him. ;)

Mike

Claiming I have a simplistic view

Well below is pretty much brass tacks.

You are giving Chelsea absoutely no chance of a win based on the fact that Scolari has not been personally at the games between the 2 over the last 4 years. What absolute tosh.

Rafa couldn't outfox sour puss last year, I think I'm not alone in rating Scolari a bit higher.

As I Liverpool fan I can easily explain it.
    If Chelsea tryan play all out atack, it will fail.
    Liverpool are every bit as good at holding posesion and keeping the ball from Chelsea.
    Secondly, If gerrard has his free role behind Keane, and the fullbacks are missing up the pitch all game, how much space will he have to run into there?!

Lastly, while Chelsea are stronger on the flanks, Liverpool are stronger through the middle.
    How is Chelseas's wide players more important thatn Xabi, Masch and Gerrard in the middle for us?

Deo isn't on form yet, and MAsch will take him out of the game.
    Essien won't be there to close down Xabi, so he'll have all the time in the world to dictate the pace, and Stevie G, is a big game player, as we all know.

Carra is on better form than last year, without the slower Hyypia like last time, and Agger while a bit shaky at the start of the Wigan game, hasn't put a fott wrong since, and played well against Atletico.
    When we have the ball, he almost becomes a fourth central midfield player for us.

As Rebel pointed out, I'm in no way deriding Scolari, simply saying he has no experience of this fixture.
    Rafa will know what to expect from both sets of fans and player.
    (We played them 5 times last year alone!!!)
    Scolari won't from the Liverpool side.

Liverpool are playing with real confidence, and are genuinely going there with no fear.
    They have nothing to loose.
    If Chelsea win, then of course they did.
    At home, on great form etc...
    But if Chelsea win, then they've lost to their enemy, at home, loosing their 4 year record, and top spot, when they were favorites, and their playing a team that they know are ridding high on confidence.

If Chelsea push forward unreservedly, then Liverpool will soak it up with their team defencive mentality, and hit on the break.
    I can see Liverpool win.

If Scolari does what he should and show Liverpool the respect they deserve, then the teams could cancel each other out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I love it, I am loving this build up, nobody really knows how it's going to go.

Liverpool have taken on flair teams before and had them go away with their tails between their legs.

Why not be confident? We sorted out United a few weeks ago, and I would not rule out doing a job on Chelsea.

My take?

A loss - expected on paper, not devastating
    A draw - A 'good' and not unlikely result
    A win - unexpected on paper, 4 weeks of walking on air.

;)

Well below is pretty much brass tacks.

You are giving Chelsea absoutely no chance of a win based on the fact that Scolari has not been personally at the games between the 2 over the last 4 years. What absolute tosh.

Rafa couldn't outfox sour puss last year, I think I'm not alone in rating Scolari a bit higher.

Rafa did "outfox sourpuss" untill the Referee forgot he wasn't wearing a Chelsea jersey, and ended up getting suspended for his ridiculous penalty decision remember.

And my oppinion of the match has a lot more behind it than Scolaris ticket stub collection.

You really should stop being so simplistic Boogles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Karma, you honestly make no sense.

Liverpool woll know Chelsea but Chelsea won't know Liverpool becuase of Scolari?

You do know he can watch tapes?:confused:

Scolari will outwit Benitez on Sunday and win comfortably.

And my oppinion of the match has a lot more behind it than Scolaris ticket stub collection.

Really? Because it is overwhelming in your posts and your main opinion why you think Chelsea will not win. I don't see the stat in any of your posts that Liverpool have not scored at the bridge in the league in nearly 5 years?

Yes, cause tv's really take in the attitudes of players and fans.
    Delicious irony Boogles.
    Claiming I have a simplistic view, while implying that the animosity and rivalry built up between Liverpool and Chelsea in the last 4 years - three CL semi finals. League Cup final, countless battles at Anfield and SB, conticuous jostling in the media - can be summed up by watching a few tapes.
    As Rebel pointed out, I'm in no way deriding Scolari, simply saying he has no experience of this fixture.
    Rafa will know what to expect from both sets of fans and player.
    (We played them 5 times last year alone!!!)
    Scolari won't from the Liverpool side.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

"Fans in big upping of their team shocker".

mike65 wrote: »
    What that list tells me is that Kuyt is in great form and I should stick 20 on him. ;)

Mike

What odds is Kuyt?

• Advertisement
Advertisement