Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Chelsea v Liverpool

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

never been so happy to have been so wrong.

f**king yes

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Well. Eh, holy cr@p.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Excuse me while I go change my pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Great effort from the Scouse, Great result. Deserved top of the league. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm happy. Really good result from a United point of view. Chelsea have lost their unbeaten record at home, and they've dropped 3 points. Liverpool won the game, but won it in a way that still makes me unsure of their abilities without Torres. Defensively fantastic from Liverpool. Benetiz really made a big big change at half time, got Liverpool out of their own box, and really made them push on. Babel showed the hint of a goal a lot more than Keane did on the break, shoulda been on earlier I think.

All in all, a good days work.

p.s. Di Santo looks like he could be a good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Yea baby.

Its on like donkey kong!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Boggles wrote: »
    Great effort from the Scouse, Great result. Deserved top of the league. Well done.

..but..?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Great result and top of the table now :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well done liverpool, deserved win and about bloody time someone broke their unbeaten home record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Chelsea are finished. I expect Hull and Liverpool to be battling it out for the top spot come May. Lampard will be on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PHB, Torres is back next game! and Liverpool have I think proven that without Torres and a Keane who still is not really at the races is still getting results. Babel will improve with game time.

How did Agger-do? I was listening.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Fantastico!
    Looking good for the 'Pool, maybe at last serious contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd echo that aswell, if Liverpool do get a win at the Bridge, they have to be taken as serious title contenders.

There I said it, I'm off to the shower with a wire brush to clean off this dirt. :mad:

Right, Who are you and what have you done with Boggles?!?

mike65 wrote: »
    PHB, Torres is back next game! and Liverpool have I think proven that without Torres and a Keane who still is not really at the races is still getting results. Babel will improve with game time.

They have indeed gotten results. But at the same time, they've dropped points. That said, this is another debate :) I'll start a thread later on why Liverpool won't win the league :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Very interesting game, and overall much more entertaining than i was expecting.

I think this result, and more so the performances today, are indicative that the race for the Prem will be very close this year. Liverpool looked good, without being fantastic, they still lack an edge that i believe will still result in them dropping more points than they perhaps should.

Chelsea have shown today their new expansive style under Scolari isn't all it's cracked up to be, they really lacked penetration in the final third today, a bit like Arsenal at times. loads of possession but no end result.

Kudos to the Pool though, worked fantastically hard and had the tactics perfect on the day.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A great looking list of fixtures on paper coming up for pool, could be the season if we don't run into another Stoke again and do all but score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

would have prefered a draw but il take chelsea losing their home record and not gaining 3 points on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

brilliant 2nd half performance and liverpool look a different team this year.

Riera has been a fantastic buy and the performances of the midfield trio has been excellent.

Not getting to carried away but even the guardian now reckon we are title contenders:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Would it be cruel to multi-quote posts from the first 3 pages or so? ;)

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

YYYESSSS!!
    what a result, abso outstanding performance!
    Gerrard was unreal, covered every inch!

How did Agger-do? I was listening.

Mike

Solid Mike, his confidence is getting back. No one played badly today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Absolutely delighted. In amongst all that fantastic defending, I thought we played some good passing football at times. Hard to believe that we have beaten Manchester Utd and Chelsea without Torres!

Riera was brilliant today, really fantastic. He just keeps getting better and better.

interestingly on the top 4 mini table;
    [B]Team--------pld----W--D--L--Pts[/B]
    Liverpool-----2----2--0--0---6
    Chelsea-------2----0--1--1---1
    ManUtd--------2----0--1--1---1

Now That makes a massive change to previous years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Well done to Liverpool, delighted for Gerrard and co. That record needed to end, United nearly done it but just werent as solid as the Pool today. well deserved to win and probably by another goal also.

Mike

na that'd be just stupid

Trilla
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    interestingly on the top 4 mini table;
    !

mini?? thats a ultra micro super dinky mini table... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Ah, I was hoping Chelsea could make it 100 games without losing. Very impressive record nevertheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mike

I think Karma will be doing that later. Big Phil and Chelsea did seem a little lost for ideas in the end.

Great win for the pool. Had some great chances after the goal to seal it whereas Chelsea only had 2 half decent chances throughout the whole game. It would seem that we have remembered how to defend again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great effort from Liverpool. Chelsea were poor but I think you have to credit the Liverpool players for a lot of that. They got at them from the start and harried them, never giving them the time they wanted on the ball. Deco looked anonymous for large parts of the game. There were some big performances from the Liverpool players but I thought Carragher was truly immense.

Like PHB said before, I think this is a good result from a United point of view. I still see Chelsea as the team to beat and the fact they have lost that fantastic home record should give enouragement to other teams. I remain sceptical that Liverpool can consistently get results.

Still, they deserve a lot of credit for their display today and I personally didn't think they could do it without Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A massive result and great to see Liverpool dominate so much in the 2nd half. That's wins now over Chelsea and Man Utd. They're winning even when not playing their best, and even without the full squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fantastic result, all things considered.

- We go clear top of the table.
    - We ended Chelsea's outstanding home record.
    - We have taken maximum points against the Big Four so far.
    - We did so without Torres

I know it's only October, but I can't help but get excited.

How will this affect Chelsea's form? When United beat Arsenal's Invincibles, their form went to absolute pieces. Can Hull take second on Wednesday? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Great result, special mentions for Carragher and Riera, both did their team proud. But, it's early in the season and we are just three points clear, it can all be undone by a silly result against Portsmouth at Home. We need to push on. Don't get me wrong it was an awesome psychological victory today, but as they say, there is no rest for the wicked and we must keep on doing this. A tall order I know, but that is what winning the PL demands in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

i wonder will Dunphy be on Premier League highlights show later.???

He's been creaming himself over Deco and Scholari and Chelsea overall. He'll probably write them off as a poor team at home that Liverpool should be expecting to beat by a few goals.

What are the chances he'll spend 10mins analysing Riera's close control and first touch, and how him and Kuyt are very different players but both have important roles in the team....;)

Good win today and Chelsea were lacking in creativity which is surprising because that hasn't been a problem this year. I thought they went back to the Mourinho tactic of humping long balls up to Anelka, who to be fair, is a sulking bastard who doesn't give a fcuk if his team wins or loses as long as he doesn't get asked to play out wide!!!

Liverpool still a bit wasteful in front of goal but they have a young striker coming through who might sort that out a bit. Fernando something or other...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Great result today Was impressed by Riera today and also with a lot of the zippy passing in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

ibh wrote: »

What are the chances he'll spend 10mins analysing Riera's close control and first touch,

i have to say i am very impressed with him of late. good buy

How will this affect Chelsea's form? When United beat Arsenal's Invincibles, their form went to absolute pieces. Can Hull take second on Wednesday? :)

Arsenal are a different team to Chelsea. Arsenal build up a head of steam, and mentally I think believe that they are the best team in the world. When they lose, that gets shattered a little, which is why they respond so poorly to defeats.

Chelsea on the other hand I'd imagine will only come back stronger from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tell you what, if you really do think that it even remotely possible, put your money on it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

RasTa wrote: »
    Chelsea are finished. I expect Hull and Liverpool to be battling it out for the top spot come May. Lampard will be on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Chelsea have shown today their new expansive style under Scolari isn't all it's cracked up to be, they really lacked penetration in the final third today, a bit like Arsenal at times. loads of possession but no end result.

Ah, seriously, in all fairness, Pool won by a deflected goal so i don't see how one loss by a lucky goal shows that our tactics aren't working.

What it has shown is two things. One, we are going to have a torrid time against the top 4 this season. Two games at home against sides we were better than (Man Utd's form was awful when we played them and we are certainly on paper and in recent history a better team than Pool) and only 1 point. Shocking. We have three away trips to the top 4 at the end of the season and that will stop us from winning the league.

Second, Liverpool mean business. To win without Torres is one thing but to end the record is something else. Only Barca have beaten us there since the record began and I think that was the year they went on to win the Champion's League. I tipped Pool as great value at 7/1 to win the league at the beginning of the year and unfortunately it's ringing true. Well Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

PHB wrote:
    Arsenal are a different team to Chelsea. Arsenal build up a head of steam, and mentally I think believe that they are the best team in the world. When they lose, that gets shattered a little, which is why they respond so poorly to defeats.

Chelsea on the other hand I'd imagine will only come back stronger from this.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Arsenal's achilles heal has always been that mental fragility, and Chelsea have thrived on their mental strength. However, their amazing home record undoubtedly contributed signficantly to their mental resolve.

The next time they cross that white line at Stamford Bridge, they won't have the confidence or expectation that they'll get the points. You'd wonder how different the result would have been in the United game if they were playing them next weekend.
    Tell you what, if you really do think that it even remotely possible, put your money on it!!

I'm not brave enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Absolutely ecstatic. Great result and a good performance to boot. Carragher was absolutely immense today and deservedly man of the match. Alonso I thought was also top notch today. He has been in good form lately and dare I say it showing signs of his form in his first season at the club, which can only be a good thing.

Babel made a huge impact when he came on and won plenty of the long balls. Keane had a pretty poor game truth be told. Maybe it was because he angered the gods midweek:p

The result will give us a lot of confidence going forward and hopefully we can maintain our great start for the rest of the season. Its a long way to go but its been a long time since Pool fans have had a reason to be this excited in the league. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Well and truly out of the title race ... I expect we will pick up 0 points from those 3 away fixtures (Liverpool, ManU, Ars)

another trophyless season awaits!!!!

Scolari will probably be fired next summer ...

moneybags will get bored ....

dark dark times ahead for CFC ... I expect we will be in the coca cola championship in a few years ...

anyway Im off to the Bernebea (sp?) later ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

yom 1 wrote: »
    Absolutely ecstatic. Great result and a good performance to boot. Carragher was absolutely immense today and deservedly man of the match. Alonso I thought was also top notch today. He has been in good form lately and dare I say it showing signs of his form in his first season at the club, which can only be a good thing.

Babel made a huge impact when he came on and won plenty of the long balls. Keane had a pretty poor game truth be told. Maybe it was because he angered the gods midweek:p

The result will give us a lot of confidence going forward and hopefully we can maintain our great start for the rest of the season. Its a long way to go but its been a long time since Pool fans have had a reason to be this excited in the league. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

lets see how lucky you are after 38 games...

• Advertisement

jackdaw wrote: »
    Well and truly out of the title race ... I expect we will pick up 0 points from those 3 away fixtures (Liverpool, ManU, Ars)

dark dark times ahead for CFC ... I expect we will be in the coca cola championship in a few years ...

As happy as I am about the result today I dont agree with this at all.....you're still well in the title race.....hense why you're still 11/10 favorites.....

This is the best chance Liverpool will have to grab the golden chalice. For once especially after today I am confident.

Jackdaw, I <3 you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

lets see how lucky you are after 38 games...

Give over will you.

Are we back to this $hite of its always lucky if Liverpool win. The best team on the day won. End of.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jackdaw, I <3 you.

I do too. The guy is a comedian :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I watched 2nd half of the game today and it was funny to hear serbian commentator who realised what he said when it was late but he said: "....now we can hear Chelsea fans singing 1 of 2 chants they usually sing when Chelsea plays, its ''come on Chelsea'' at the moment"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Well done Pool, gutted as a United fan though :( , I hate to think you may actually be in with a shout this year.

Bill wrote: »
    Well done Pool, gutted as a United fan though :( , I hate to think you may actually be in with a shout this year.

:p

I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Fabalous result these are good days so lets enjoy em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bill wrote: »

In fairness though, i really do believe that Utd can catch Hull. You's have a decent squad this season.

• Advertisement

Oh, one a side note, did anybody see some sort of porn behind Benetiz in teh dugout? It looked to me like there was some lads magazine drapped across the seat directly behind him? [or am I going nuts?]

Advertisement