Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Chelsea v Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Is arse what u talk through ? That was the most fortunate goal in Champions league final history.

Ok you have taken that quote wrong by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

redout wrote: »
    Is arse what u talk through ? That was the most fortunate goal in Champions league final history.

Ok you have taken that quote wrong by the way.

Did I say the Champions league goal wasnt lucky? Your saying as many as 8 of his goals in a given season are down do luck all in the same breath as saying how he regularly scores 20 goals a season, take off the specs son, you look silly in them.
    Like him or not, the fact remains that he scores a heap from midfield every season, some things are more than luck.

Not so much luck. More likely the law of averages, hit enough bloody shots at goal and a given amount of them will go in. Look back at the opta and now I think actima stats Lampard is consistantly up there as the player with the most shots in a season. So put that in your pipe.

Put that in my pipe?:rolleyes:

Same as Gerrard, if your that good at striking the long ball then strike the long ball, its called playing to your strenghts. A worse player wouldnt hit the target as often and therefor wouldnt score as many goals, its not luck, they do it for a reason.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

PHB wrote: »
    Liverpool won the game, but won it in a way that still makes me unsure of their abilities without Torres.

Thankfully Torres is a Liverpool player, so we don't have to think too often about playing without him.

But anyway, Liverpool have beaten United and Chelsea now without Torres, I hope they carry on playing "in a way" that gets those kind of results.

Yes I agree that they do play to their strengths and Gerrard does it alot better than Lampard. Takes less shots and still scores the same amount come the end of the season as Lampard. 90th minute with an open shot at goal from distance I would put my money on Gerrard over Lampard and I support United ! Hate the pool but I am not interested in anyone telling me Lampard is better than Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Not so much luck. More likely the law of averages, hit enough bloody shots at goal and a given amount of them will go in. Look back at the opta and now I think actima stats Lampard is consistantly up there as the player with the most shots in a season. So put that in your pipe.

He wasn't even in the top ten last season, let alone top of it. Gerard was 4th for what it's worth.

Edited to add: obviously he was injured for a a time last season which would skew the stats.

Hate the pool but I am not interested in anyone telling me Lampard is better than Gerrard.

WTF :confused:

And who said that? Your a bit all over the place there bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

PHB wrote:
    Liverpool won the game, but won it in a way that still makes me unsure of their abilities without Torres.

You couldn't have asked for a better performance at Stamford Bridge from Liverpool. If anyone was to beat them, it would never have been a 3-0 pounding or swash-buckling football. It was always going to be a tight game, decided by a single goal or mistake.

We didn't miss Torres today. Keane led the line well without being 100%, Riera played a blinder, Babel did very well when he came on, and Alonso and Kuyt both had decent chances. In the second half, we played a lot of quality, quick, one-touch passes around the midfield and attack.

Apart from the closing stages of both halves, we didn't play with 10 men behind the ball. We took the game to Chelsea and pressed them high up the pitch.

• Advertisement

The other thing to remember is that this game was at Stamford Bridge, not Anfield. There was no onus on Liverpool to go out and attack attack attack Chelsea.

I smell a lot of fear around these parts. There are quivering voices dismissing Liverpool. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

fear of liverpool??????? hahahah...i want them to win the league but i sincerely doubt anyone is shaking in their boots at the thought of Liverpool.

I remember in 2003(maby) Liverpool had a very good first 14 games and were top but then the screws came off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

ntlbell wrote: »
    No 13 draws is what failed you in past seasons.

Actually i'd say it was the head to head record against the other top 4 that has failed us in previous seasons. If Liverpool had beaten United in the two games last season they would have won the league ahead of Chelsea even with all the draws. the fact that we are turning those draws into wins this season and beating the other members of the big four for the first time surely bodes well for Liverpool. If you think they aren't in with a shout this season your blinded by United bias. Btw, how does it feel to be 8 points behind Liverpool in the league?

fear of liverpool??????? hahahah...i want them to win the league but i sincerely doubt anyone is shaking in their boots at the thought of Liverpool.

I remember in 2003(maby) Liverpool had a very good first 14 games and were top but then the screws came off.

Yes, but that was before we had DIRK KUYT.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

As a Man United fan i can honestly say i am delighted about the result today, im sorry i just cant look past chelsea as our only real rivals and im delighted that they were beaten at home and pray though i doubt it, that it will have bad implications on them

Liverpool are playing like title contenders at the moment, getting the little bits of luck, winning games they shouldnt and that but surely even the most optomistic pool fan knows that you cant win a title in october and that they need to stay strong through christmass and after to have any chance of being in the mix at the business end

i just dont see it happening, and its not fear as some pool fans would like to think, its rational thinking, I also dont think Hull will be challenging for Champions League football this year either even though they 3 points off the top of the table, but this opinion is a lot less controversial then my opinion liverpool probably wont be heavily involved in may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Well done to Liverpool today. They have shown that they have put themselves forward as serious title challengers again. Whether they can sustain this run of form and how they react when they invariably enter a less impressive run of form will be the deciding factor for them (and the other top 3 of course) to who will win the league. I look forward to a long season where all the top 4 may be fighting it out til the bitter end.

However, as a United fan, I have the utmost fate in United to deliver the goods when the chips are down towrds the end of this season, like they have so many times before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Liverpool will fade away they don't have the stamina to last the 38 games and will finish in the usuall 3/4th spots.

Not sure who posted this but it was quoted by Dingatron.

Surely you are ignoring the fact that Liverpool generally do the very opposite to the above. They are normally well out of the running by the end of October. They also tend to gain an equal amount or slightly more points than 95% of the league - hence the saying "If the league started in November, Liverpool would win the league.

We are also 5 points better off versus United and Chelsea than we were last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Statso wrote: »
    Actually i'd say it was the head to head record against the other top 4 that has failed us in previous seasons. If Liverpool had beaten United in the two games last season they would have won the league ahead of Chelsea even with all the draws. the fact that we are turning those draws into wins this season and beating the other members of the big four for the first time surely bodes well for Liverpool. If you think they aren't in with a shout this season your blinded by United bias. Btw, how does it feel to be 8 points behind Liverpool in the league?

It doesn't feel like anything. As I keep stating to pool fans.

Ask me after 38

Surely you are ignoring the fact that Liverpool generally do the very opposite to the above. They are normally well out of the running by the end of October. They also tend to gain an equal amount or slightly more points than 95% of the league - hence the saying "If the league started in November, Liverpool would win the league.

We are also 5 points better off versus United and Chelsea than we were last year.

but they're generally so far out of the running coming into the last part of the season that there's no preasure.

playing freely knowing you have no chance of winning the league and been a few points out in front with 2/3 teams coming up puts a whole different sort of preasure on the players a preasure liverpool haven't had for years

and chelsea were probably thinking the same when they were 5 points ahead of united last year

been 5 points ahead in october? your doing well...blue peter badge but there's no throphies for it i'm afraid long long way to go

9 games in lads 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

but they're generally so far out of the running coming into the last part of the season that there's no preasure.

playing freely knowing you have no chance of winning the league and been a few points out in front with 2/3 teams coming up puts a whole different sort of preasure on the players a preasure liverpool haven't had for years

and chelsea were probably thinking the same when they were 5 points ahead of united last year

been 5 points ahead in october? your doing well...blue peter badge but there's no throphies for it i'm afraid long long way to go

9 games in lads 9

Rafa has won league titles before, and many of our players, as former captains of various clubs and countries, have played in pressure-cooker situations on many occasions. We've had experience playing in high-pressure must-win games on a regular basis in Europe, and we've fared spectacularly. When the chips are down, Liverpool usually produce the goods.

Usually, it's when the pressure is off and we've a home tie against Birmingham, that is when the wheels fall off.

I think overall we are about 9 points up on corresponding fixtures last season (replaced Stoke with Birmingham last season as the team promoted 2nd in the Championship). That is not shabby when you consider that is 9 points of only 23 tallied so far.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    I think overall we are about 9 points up on corresponding fixtures last season (replaced Stoke with Birmingham last season as the team promoted 2nd in the Championship). That is not shabby when you consider that is 9 points of only 23 tallied so far.

We are defo doing alot lot lot better than we generally do in the opening quarter of the season. I am quietly confident that we will be there or there abouts in May but I wouldn't dare think that we may actually win it.

Gaining points against Chelsea and United that we didn't get last year and reducing the number of draws against lesser teams is the formula for success. We are 1/4 of the way there.

Rafa has won league titles before, and many of our players, as former captains of various clubs and countries, have played in pressure-cooker situations on many occasions. We've had experience playing in high-pressure must-win games on a regular basis in Europe, and we've fared spectacularly. When the chips are down, Liverpool usually produce the goods.

Usually, it's when the pressure is off and we've a home tie against Birmingham, that is when the wheels fall off.

It's not a game, it's week after week after week in the toughest league in the world and as a team they haven't faced it before because as i all ready said they're usually out of it by then.

one poster is saying your strong end of season when league is over your saying they're better in under preasure situations, one of you are wrong.

I'm going to stop commenting now as it's getting a bit boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Any chance of Torres being fit for pompey?

Pundits noted that Liverpool were winning games, without their full potential – An early sign of champions. Going into the match against Middleborough in early November, Liverpool had a four point lead at the top of the Premiership summit and only lost one in thirty league matches – to Tottenham in April 2002.

The lead was cut after a late Gareth Southgate header bemused goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek and punished their cautious defensive approach to the game. It became a fortnight to forget for Liverpool as they crashed out of the Champions League away to Basle, the match at home to Sunderland ended stalemate despite 24 shots on target for Liverpool and a double strike from Sava wounded any chance of a Liverpool comeback at Fulham. The manager publicly pointed his finger directly at Gerrard after his poor performances and promptly dropped him from the team altogether.[17]

A defeat to Manchester United at Anfield sparked a dramatic change in form. Liverpool started December in second place but after a month without a win, Gérard Houllier found his team lying in sixth at the turn of the New Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Is there a point to that ? Houllier was an idiot for a start. Thebest period we had under him was when he had a heart attack.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Your 6 minute break in posting disapoints me ntlbell.

why are you talking about 2002 under houllier?

mayordenis wrote: »
    Your 6 minute break in posting disapoints me ntlbell.

why are you talking about 2002 under houllier?

reality check

3 points ahead after 9 games does not premiership champions make.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So the stars aligned...

I'm confused..usually the head-to-head mini table is quoted after Liverpool play these games - it's all a bit surreal this new territory..:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is there a point to that ? Houllier was an idiot for a start. Thebest period we had under him was when he had a heart attack.

would have thought the best part was 2001? your season of winning the 3 cups under him, it was actually 5 wasnt it.... gets more stick then he deserves imo, too negative, yes, but why do pool fans demonise him so much. did you win much under Evans? Souness? Dalglish? (besides his player manager year)

he has so far won more silverware for your club the your beloved rafa

reality check

3 points ahead after 9 games does not premiership champions make.

what are you talking about??

you a raving wild man.

What have I said about us winning the league, maybe 1 or 2 people have said that we are gonna win it - but I'm pretty sure the general consensus with liverpool fans is that we're in with a chance but we have a long long way to go. Give up on your witch hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I don't think over reaction can be labelled to Liverpool fans on here as mentioned above.

All I see is them saying is they have a chance of winning the league, which at the moment you can't argue against tbh

Exactly and I would be first to tell any Liverpool fan that said we're going to win the league to not get ahead of themselves. But ntlbell just wants to try and rain on peoples parade and is trying to make it out as if Pool fans have gone mad.

what are you talking about??

you a raving wild man.

What have I said about us winning the league, maybe 1 or 2 people have said that we are gonna win it - but I'm pretty sure the general consensus with liverpool fans is that we're in with a chance but we have a long long way to go. Give up on your witch hunt.

You always get caught up with *I*

I'm quoting you as your asking the question I'm not directing every time I post at you.

It's for the "how do you feel to be 8 points behind the pool gang"

banter...

bit of digging....

don't get so emotional young man

Unearthly wrote: »
    I don't think over reaction can be labelled to Liverpool fans on here as mentioned above.

All I see is them saying is they have a chance of winning the league, which at the moment you can't argue against tbh

Why can't we argue against it?

after 9 games for fricking shur we can argue about it

you're a failure with your "young man" nonsense - Someone asked you how it feels to be 8 points behind pool that's fine but your digging up stats from 6 years ago for a team with COMPLETELY FRICKIN FRICK OF FRICKIN TEAM and managed. For Frick Sake of a had enough of this frickery pure frickin around.
    frick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

woot woot woot :D

you're a failure with your "young man" nonsense - Someone asked you how it feels to be 8 points behind pool that's fine but your digging up stats from 6 years ago for a team with COMPLETELY FRICKIN FRICK OF FRICKIN TEAM and managed. For Frick Sake of a had enough of this frickery pure frickin around.
    frick.

I didn't dig up any stats at all.

It was just a gentle reminder to anyone who can't hold their p|ss that it's early days, you've been here before and it turned very sour.

je fricking geh meh?

I dont have a frickin clue what you are ona bout and how it related to the hear and now.
    Team's have lost finals to go on and win a cup years ago. You know United didn't win the double every season for the last 200 years but they did last year - imagine something happening different than the way it happened before? frickin madness for the love of frick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

In fairness they have beaten there greatest rivals at home, just beaten the team with the longest steak of not losing at home ever and all this without in my opinion there best player.

On top of that they have come from behind to win in a further 4 games and are unbeaten all season. I'm a lot more worried then I have being in previous seasons about them and I personally think it's great.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

kryogen wrote: »
    would have thought the best part was 2001? your season of winning the 3 cups under him, it was actually 5 wasnt it.... gets more stick then he deserves imo, too negative, yes, but why do pool fans demonise him so much. did you win much under Evans? Souness? Dalglish? (besides his player manager year)

he has so far won more silverware for your club the your beloved rafa

Dalglish Won the league 3 times in 5 years, and won 2 FA cups. One of the years he didn't win it was 'that' game against Arsenal, and finished 2nd to Everton the other year. This was also during the time when we were banned from Europe and couldn't play, and the time when we had the Beardsley/Barnes/Aldridge axis of footballing beauty. 87/88 was a magnificent season apart from the FA cup final shocker against the wombles. In his 6th season he resigned when we were top of the league.

I think you can safely leave Dalglish out of this argument.

As for today, people say Chelsea had injury issues today, sure Liverpool were without half their team (according to the 2 man team theory that is quite popular).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

1 - 0. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

thought Keane looked out of position a lot playing just as the lone striker, hope Trappatoni takes note. Riera looks like a real threat for Liverpool.

Chelsea seem to be missing the bit of steel that Essien gave them, some impressive passing movement at times.

good game though, enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Do I dare throw the cat amongst the piegons and suggest Torres doesnt start every away game given his relatively average away forum?

*awaits raping*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

shane86 wrote: »
    Do I dare throw the cat amongst the piegons and suggest Torres doesnt start every away game given his relatively average away forum?

*awaits raping*

Coming off it in the 55th win to bang in a late hat-trick..? Yeah, why not - he hasn't scored in the first half yet this season anyway...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

*Raping*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

*awaits raping*

Errrrr???

Fernando Torres has scored 5 goals in the Prem this season, all away from home.

Oh Dear.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Errrrr???

Fernando Torres has scored 5 goals in the Prem this season, all away from home.

Oh Dear.:rolleyes:

And what, 7 in the whole of last year? An improvement certainly but to say Torres is ever so slightly overrated seems to be a capital crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

And what, 7 in the whole of last year? An improvement certainly but to say Torres is ever so slightly overrated seems to be a capital crime.

hahaha Torres overrated ? That's a farce!

Thought Liverpool played brilliant yesterday....they had a good few chances and more than Chelsea...

Carra was immense and I thought Reira had a good game also...he's strong and pretty skillful..looks to be a good signing by Rafa and has slotted straight in...Alonso seems to be coming back onto form...I'd like to see us buying a skillful winger for the other wing..Could Babel not play on the right wing?

Babel looked ok when he came on and I'd agree with some of the posts that he's more suited to the lone striker role...

Exactly and I would be first to tell any Liverpool fan that said we're going to win the league to not get ahead of themselves. But ntlbell just wants to try and rain on peoples parade and is trying to make it out as if Pool fans have gone mad.

I think all Liverpool fans on this forum should agree to put people like ntlbell on ignore. I can only see the stuff that others have quoted but it is blantantly obvious he is doing nothing but trying to bait repsonses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

*awaits raping*

Did you just try to start an arguement?

• Advertisement
Advertisement