Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer for CAD

Options
  • 24-10-2008 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

hi. i need a new pc for CAD (programs like Solidworks). ill probably get the parts from hardwareversand.de

i'm not really sure about some of the parts i'll need, but i was thinking maybe something like this:

core 2 duo 8400 or 8500
    2 or 3 gb RAM
    500gb HDD, probably a seagate barracuda
    DVD writer
    a fairly slimline or small case
    a flat screen monitor 17", or maybe bigger...?
    ill probably stick with windows xp aswell
    not sure about the motherboard

ok, you probably noticed im not really sure what i need :o, and i've never ordered from hardwareversand but i've built a good few computers before.

also, i dont really have a clue what kind of graphics card ill need for CAD...

so, any ideas what i should be getting. ill probably spend around 500-600 excluding the monitor,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

Hi koolkakool

A PC just for CAD...okie doki...

first and most important, Your gonna want a bigger screen than a 17" thats for sure. get a 20" or even a 22", theyre not that expensive and they are difinatly worth it with CAD...trust me on this

next, an 8400 is perfect, its even overkill

ram is cheap, you could get 3gb and it wont break the bank, but 2 gigs will be fine and itl prob be easier.

cant go wrong with whichever Hdd, youre not looking for blistering speed out of a Hdd at all, so anything will do that fits inside your budget.

Graphics wise, something like this 9800 will suit your needs. (and dont mind the resolution details on the site saying 800x600, thats a mistake. it's max resolution details are actually DVI: 2560 x 1600 / VGA: 2048 x 1536 at 85Hz

OS wise, if you have a copy of XP lying around, stick with it, most CAD programs are more compatible with XP, no need for vista on a CAD machine.

sorry I cant give links, but im at work so I dont wanna open too many big colourful pages like harwareversand.

click the link below and give your support aswell by the way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭koolkakool

thank a million, i didnt know you could get a 9800gt for that cheap :)

that pretty much sorts everything out, i was thinking maybe something like this or this for the motherboard.

and one more thing, would the fan that comes with the CPU be ok or will i need another one.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I would think so long as the mobo matches the cpu and ram combo you should be fine, however i'm not upto date with current mobo's so i could be wrong.

CPU fan should be ok, there's always more efficient cooler available if you want to get one of them.

Should you not be looking for one of them special fancy nvidia gfx cards designed specifically for cad? :p

I've been using a ati x700 with my laptop for the past 3 years which has run fine all the time, little slow with 3d cad when the drawing starts to get big but i'd put that down to it being a laptop.

jozi wrote: »
    Should you not be looking for one of them special fancy nvidia gfx cards designed specifically for cad? :p

is that the quadro you're talking about? im not too sure about them. from what i've heard, the cheaper ones aren't great and the expensive ones are, well a bit too expensive :o, but then again, i could be wrong...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Thats them alright. It think i read some place they where just a current gen gfx card optimised diferently and marketed as quadro, I could be wrong thou! Anyway most recent card should be fine if my old ati x700 can handle what i've thrown at it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Why don't you try Solidworks on one of your old machines. I manage to run it quite sucessfully (v2005) on a 2GHz Athlon, 2GB Ram and on-board graphics ATI Radeon 200. Don't get the best rendering, but it's definitely usable.

id say ill need get a new pc soon anyway. i was thinking something like this:

untitled.jpg

does it look ok? :)

Advertisement