Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein recipies?

• 24-10-2008 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all :)

I'm trying to kick the carb and for the most point I'm doing well. My main diet now is meat and eggs. Problem is that it can get a bit boring. Does anyone know any recipies for high-protein meals? I was thinking of things like stews (without the potatoes) and stir-fry a load of veggies.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Tons! I've been eating protein-based, low carb meals for years. Are you looking for main courses, snacks, puddings, carry meals or what?

The main thing is to get some decent seasoning. I have extra virgin olive oil which I threw some dried chilies into, so I've got spicy oil when I need it. Balsamic and apple cider vinegar, tabasco sauce, chili flakes, ginger (fresh or dried), garlic, fennel seeds, bay leaves, rosemary (fresh or dried), sage, tarragon, basil, thyme, cummin, paprika, harrisa, lemon zest. With those, you can gizz up a boring meal every easily.

I also have lots of plain gelatin, cocoa powder, sweetener and various extracts for flavouring desserts. Vanilla, coffee, almond, lemon, peppermint (I once tried making protein ice-cream with real mint leaves. Not a success), ginger, orange, lime, chocolate, rosewater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

EileenG wrote: »
    Tons! I've been eating protein-based, low carb meals for years. Are you looking for main courses, snacks, puddings, carry meals

wud u have any good recipes for any of these off the top of ur head?

im tryin to start eating high protein+low carb food to complement gym work

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Chuck a handful of olives into anything fried, or stir fried...same goes for a tablespoon of capers and get a good garlic press (mine is prestige, I wasted twice what it cost me on, essentially "single use" cheaper ones before I bought it) and use crushed garlic.

Refry leftover veg in olive oil for class "bubble and squeak".

Boil down cheap cuts of meat with a few veggies and flavourings (see above and dream up more), then blend to make high protein soups.

There really is nothing boring about low carb...all the strong flavours are low carb compatible.

Omelettes do not have to be savoury. Learn how to make custard with real eggs to pour over (not I am not running down a recipe, I am now unable to eat eggs and refuse to torture self :D but I understand there are some exceptionally easy ways that involve a microwave).

jph100 wrote: »
    wud u have any good recipes for any of these off the top of ur head?

im tryin to start eating high protein+low carb food to complement gym work

thanks!

Got lots of recipes, but what sort of food? Savory, main meals, snacks, desserts, what? What kind of food do you like? What's your budget? What do you hate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

EileenG wrote: »
    Got lots of recipes, but what sort of food? Savory, main meals, snacks, desserts, what? What kind of food do you like? What's your budget? What do you hate?

yeah it wud be great to hear a sample of some recipes for main meals+snacks+desserts if u had the time!

personally i love spicy chicken,could eat it every day but do eat burgers/steak/fish the odd time
    my budget wud be flexible
    I HATE onions so much, think thats it

thanks!

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head: chicken satey, prawns and garlic and green beans, pork stirfry with sesame seeds, roast chicken with assorted veg, chicken casserole with fennel, beef stew with mushrooms and veg, goulash (beef with paprika and tomatoes and peppers), Bolonogese sauce (mince with garlic, mushrooms, onion, celery, tomato) with caulflower, spiced chicken made with chicken breast, coconut cream, lemongrass. Big juicy steak and broccoli, asparagus wrapped in parma ham, drizzled with olive oil and baked, Greek salad, salmon and spinach, mackerel with horseradish, roast beef, casserole of lamb shanks, juniper berries and haricot beans, Grilled fresh tuna, Salad nicoise without the spuds.

Advertisement