Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

percolation problems

• 24-10-2008 8:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hey everyone,

lookinf for some advice.

i am currently looking at buying a second hand house that was built in 1979. It is a three bedroom bungelow on a third of an acre. I had the engineer around yesterday and he had some issues with the percolation area. the septic tank is located in a adjoinging field and wayleave is in place. However when the engineer visited yesterday the field was flooded badly. When we tried to locate the septic tank we could not find any signs of it. The engineer said there was a possability that the ground might not be able to take the runoff from the septic tank and that the whole system could back up into the house.

I think he is being overly pessimistic about the situation for a number of reasons. One there was over 20mm of rain on the day we went to visit the site. Two. there has been four people living in the house for the past 30 years and there will only be two of us. i looked for signs of water damage in the only bathroom in the house but there was none. and it looks like it hasnt been upgraded since the house has been built.

The engineer also stated that if i went for planning ( i plan to relocate the entrance) the council might have issues with the septic tank.

could you tell me am i being too optimistic about the whole situation and what would you reccomend i do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Engineers? Bah, what do they know?

Seriously, listen to what he has to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Will you be applying for planning permission to do any works to the house?

By the way, I removed your other post as once is enough to post it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 greenhill

i will be applying to relocate the entrance and down the line put a small extension on it but i will not need planning for the extension as it will be in the back and is under 40square metres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

NickTellis wrote: »
    Seriously, listen to what he has to say.

Or she :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If you're only applying to relocate the entrance, I can't see why the planners would be looking at the septic tank as you won't be adding any extra loading to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote: »
    If you're only applying to relocate the entrance, I can't see why the planners would be looking at the septic tank as you won't be adding any extra loading to it.
    Yeah, agree with that. If its an entrance only then the septic tank shouldn't come into the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

It is a problem for you.
    Rainfall has increased dramatically in intensity here and you WILL have a problem.
    I know this from experience on a recent job where the same scenario existed.
    Sorting this can cost so don't discount it as pure pessimism!

Anyways, the engineer should be able to offer a solution and approximate cost?

Best of luck with the house hunting!

Advertisement