Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this plane

Options
  • 24-10-2008 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I was looking through some cases and repair approvals here at work from other departments, and some of the cases were pretty cool. I was looking at this photo for a little while before I realised what I was looking at.

It's a lightning strike, that much is evident. (very common by the way, theres over 300 repair requests in the system at the moment awaiting approval.)

now, the question is....where on the plane...and what type of plane is this!?!

should keep all you aviation heads thinkin for a little bit :D

winner gets...eh....zilch

(i MS paint edited it to take away two things that give it away)
    Unbenannt-1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

okay, Ill round it off for ye...it's a mainstream commercial airliner from either the boeing or airbus family

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Airbus 318/19/20/21 ?

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Airbus 318/19/20/21 ?

warm

I just realised....heanet server.....limerland....airpllanes

might you be studying aeronautical eng in UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

A310??

*Kol* wrote: »
    A310??

nop

• Advertisement

nop

Have you deleted some of the winglet from the photo???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

OK! I will go Airbus. A300?

Yes, the A310, 318, 319, 320 annd 321 have previously been claimed.

What is doing me in is the height above the floor this item is. Something is making me think tail section. Lightning strikes usually exit the tail but also the wing tips.
    It cant be one of those hump back A300's?

Foggy43 wrote: »

What is doing me in is the height above the floor this item is. Something is making me think tail section. Lightning strikes usually exit the tail but also the wing tips.

Its supposed to be from a mainstream commercial airliner so that puts the A300-600ST out of it. Its too fat to be an A320 winglet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

A380?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I am going to see what odds I can get on the Boeing McDonnell Douglas MD-11 wing tip.
    Anyone got a number for Paddy Power? :D

• Advertisement

I am taking back my previous comment and will go with A320 wing tip right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A320 family, right wing

A318/19/20 have the same wing don't they so its have to tell, A321 wing is has different flaps

Wing tip fences where added, so its

A318/19-1xx or A320/21-2xx need photo of flaps to distinguish the A321 from the rest

Have you deleted some of the winglet from the photo???

nop, nothig altered, nothing contorted. just text removed

nop, neither a300 nor tail. and youd be surprised where lightning strikes occur. theyre not specific to tails in the slightest
    Steyr wrote: »
    A380?
    with that type of wear already?! I should hope not ;) ....but no, no it aint
    I am going to see what odds I can get on the Boeing McDonnell Douglas MD-11 wing tip.
    Anyone got a number for Paddy Power? :D
    pay up!
    I am taking back my previous comment and will go with A320 wing tip right hand side.

DING DING DING...WE HAVE A WINNER! good call, it took me a little while aswell, I flew home yesterday with aer lingus and had a good gawk while boarding. photo makes it look weird

you win a.....drum-roll please..... brand new SMILEY FACE -> :)

I only copped on when i looked at the dimensions marked on the damage. the photo is taken from a strange angle which straightens out the curve at the end of the wing. Plus the wing tip looks as if its at a strange angle in the photo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It does look kindof odd, doesn't it?

You'd think that the lightning strikes were on the leading edge of the wing looking at the chord, but the winglets appear to be parallel to the leading edge. Obviously the wingtip curve has been straightened out by the lens. I wonder what caused that?

NTM

It does look kindof odd, doesn't it?

You'd think that the lightning strikes were on the leading edge of the wing looking at the chord, but the winglets appear to be parallel to the leading edge. Obviously the wingtip curve has been straightened out by the lens. I wonder what caused that?

NTM

thats not the leading edge your looking at ;)

AirbusA320TestFlight-02.jpg

this might help you see it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

What did you remove with MS paint that gave it away? can you post the unedited image?

Ive no idea what I did with the original image, and I aint gonna go log into the database, photobucket it, link it etc.

but I will tell you that the MS edit had NOTHING to do with contorting the shape. Nothing to do with removing or hiding wing section or anything.

it was just hiding arrows that indicated. Outboard, forward orientations. I also copy and pasted over a text document on the tool box which indicated

aircraft model
    customer
    and MSN number

(obviously Im actually not obliged to tell you the last two)

I might have a look for another random pic if I get some time. (other than my Boards.ie time :P)

The way I copped it was that I went out to an A320 wingtip and took the same picture. You have to stand directly in front of the winglet to get the right angle. It makes the curve at the corner of the wingtip leading edge straighten out. I have deleted the photo i took too.

Edit: Found another from a different angle.

CIMG2129.jpg

• Advertisement

Can I just ask now out of curiousity where that is you are working *kol*?

Advertisement