Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrupt downloads

Options
  • 24-10-2008 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I've noticed in the last week or so whatever I download is corrupt. For example I was trying to download the AVG anti virus program and that was corrupt Any large .exe (20mb +) or any .rar files and files off rapidshare are corrupted when I try to run/extract.

I'm with NTL in Galway. I was thinking it might be the wireless router dropping packets but then again I've been using the router for the past 6/7 weeks and not had a problem until now.

Anybody have similar problems/solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

How are you downloading? Do you use FTP or a download manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

I was trying both Free Download Manager which has always seemed fine and I also used the standard Internet Explorer window. Both methods have produced corrupt files. In Free Download Manager I changed the settings so that the max DL speed was capped to 1MB but this didnt work either. I cant understand how one week its fine and the next its not!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Try testing your RAM, it might be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just to rule out any PC issues, try the same download on a different PC or laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Use flashget or internet download manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i did have an issue with rapidshare, not that i would ever use that site of course, that if i paused a dl in my dl manager the file would be corrupted. i was very surprised when i tracked it down, but thats what was happening. maybe its a security feature in your college ? im sure other people are able to dl files ? ask around

right here's the update on my problem. i tried to plug directly into the router and it worked ok. from last night wirelessly download files from any server worked. no corruptions :).... however my new problem is that I get kicked off the wireless network after 10-15 minutes... sometimes even sooner.

To get re-connected I need to restart the router. My housemate is having the exact same problem so I dont think its my NIC/wireless adapter. As I said I'm with UPC and using they're sh**ty router, surely tihs is the source of the problem? Anybody come across this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Could you also check your MTU?

It should be the value that NTL stipulates (I don't know the value).

If it's not the same on every link in your connection upto and including NTL, you will see strange things happening, especially on secure sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Change the channel on the router. There could be interference on the current channel, and switching it to another one could stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

If you're using the wireless netgear router supplied by NTL...there's a known issue with them corrupting downloads. If you disable the built in firewall this should sort it out...

• Advertisement

Ok I will look into these isssues...
    How do I check the MTU and if its correct? Is this a settting in the router?

Also, the channel is an auto at the moment so I always persumed this would be the best channel to choose but I can try changing this also.

As regards the router having a known fault for corrupt downloads, off hand do you know if there has been a fix put out for it?

thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

I'm not sure if they have released a fix for the corrupt download issue but if you enter in the following 'netgear corrupt download spi' into google you should get some info on it. I don't have the netgear router anymore as I gave it to a friend about 3 months ago but I know they hadn't released a fix for it back then.

Advertisement