Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design Package

Options
  • 24-10-2008 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, We're looking at investing in a Mac and some design/ page layout software in work and I need some advice. We want them to design brochures, posters, and an email newsletter as our design costs are through the roof at the moment. Our usual IT guy recommend this spec:

2) 'professional' design function
    iMac 24", minimum 2 GB RAM
    Quark XPress 9.x
    Adobe CS 3
    MS-Office 2008
    data file stroage on server and adequate backup

Do we really need Quark XPress and Adobe CS, which includes InDesign, and if we do invest in Adobe CS is it the Design Premium one? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Personally I'd say up the RAM on the machine to 4gbs.

(this can be done through the likes of Crucial a lot cheaper than getting it with the machine)

Adobe CS 3 ??

Adobe CS 4 has actually be released so I'd probably say get that.

You're looking at wanting to have.

Photoshop / InDesign / Illustrator ... for your print stuff

Individually priced its crazy pricing so its best to get the Premium suite in my mind.

You're looking at wanting

Photoshop / Dreamweaver ... for your newsletters...

Fireworks ... I've never really gotten into or seen the need for ... though I'm sure some people swear by it ( at it :) )

You're also probably going to need training on all this ? or someone in the company is ... or you'll need to hire someone. Factor this into the equation ... factor in time spent learning this stuff by yourself. Its not something that'll just happen overnight.

Personally .. I quite like InDesign ... so that would do away with your need for Quark ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 aquestionmark

Thanks a million for that advice, I've heard there is some compatibility issues with CS4 and intel Macs though are these true? Also should I get the Design Premium or shell out for the Master Collection? Thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Design Premium is fine, has everything you'd need.

Have you hired a designer yet though, they might have specific software in mind.

No need to buy Quark, it's a waste of time.

Also, if you've all got PCs in your work already, then just buy a PC, it'll be fine.

I can't actually say for CS4 and macs ... considering its only really just been released ... I'm sure there'll be one or two little hick ups ... for the time being but on PC versions as well ...

I can't see why you would want the Master collection to be honest.

Are ye doing video as well ... and again I'd be surprised that ye have someone for all Print / Web / Video.

I'm planning to do the design stuff myself, work are going to fund a few training courses, I have experience with Dreamweaver but thats it. I was under the impression that Mac was the only way to go with design but our IT guy recommended said a high spec PC would also do the trick. Personally I use a Mac at home and always have so I'm more comfortable with them. But all the computers in the office are PCs.

• Advertisement

My personal feeling would be ... if the budget is there for a Mac get a mac.

I moved across a few months ago ... and haven't looked back.

It'll all work as p said on a PC though ... probably work out cheaper as well to some extent.

Thanks again for the advice, really appreciate it.

Advertisement