Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oilatum & Bath products - a warning

Options
  • 24-10-2008 10:34am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mrs Magnolia was listening to the radio the other week. A lady had rang in to inform listeners of the obvious dangers present while bathing a child. Her boy is 8yrs, she uses oilatum in the bath. She runs the bath puts him in and leaves him with a little privacy while hanging about outside.

She shouted into him (as she does regularly) to check he was ok and got no response. She rushed in to find him face down in the water. She shook him, he came round and was fine. Think she had him checked out too.

She put it down to the oily product leaving the bath extra slippy, he must have slipped and bumped his head.

My baby girl's less than a year so there's obviously no way she's never alone in the bath. I said I'd let people with older kids know to be careful regardless of the child's age :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Oilatum is, despite its name, not at all oily. My son has used it for more than 10 years as he suffered from severe infant eczema. Emulsifying Ointment/Silcock's Base are the products that I'd be most wary of but we've always had non-slip bath mats in the tub. I'd consider it unwise to leave an 8 year old to his own devices in the bath anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

This is less a warning about Oilatum and more a warning about leaving children unattended in the bath as Gyalist notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Gyalist wrote: »
    ...Emulsifying Ointment/Silcock's Base are the products that I'd be most wary of ....

Why?

Anyone of any age can slip in the bath. You should check on adults too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

BostonB wrote: »
    Why?

They are very greasy and thus liable to cause you to slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've just spent today (2nd day) doing my occupational first aid training and we were told children can drown in 1" of water when in the bath.

I use a shower and not bath but even scented bath oils can increase a person's chance of slipping.

Gyalist wrote: »
    They are very greasy and thus liable to cause you to slip.

Ah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

leave the little fecers dirty and wash them in the rain .... ah the olden days ... they had it right lol:p

Advertisement