Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Thin Client

Options
  • 24-10-2008 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to pickup a cheap thin client. I just want something that will allow me to remote desktop into my main machine, has a decent resolution (as I've a 20" monitor) and USB ports for a thumb drive. Im on a budget of about 50Eur which Im not sure is even reasonable (given what prices Im seeing a la Google) but thought I would ask around. Any and all feedback welcome and appreciated :-)

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Would a second hand laptop do? You should be able to pick one of those up cheap on adverts/ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

PDD wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to pickup a cheap thin client. I just want something that will allow me to remote desktop into my main machine, has a decent resolution (as I've a 20" monitor) and USB ports for a thumb drive. Im on a budget of about 50Eur which Im not sure is even reasonable (given what prices Im seeing a la Google) but thought I would ask around. Any and all feedback welcome and appreciated :-)

Dave

Do you know anyone in a business that may be upgrading? Or talk nicely to somebody in a recycling centre (slip the man your 50 quid and he may let you scavenge)

On another note, I'd be very interested in your set up, thinking of doing the same, powerful htpc in the sitting room and a thin client in the office.
    What software will you be using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys.

Cheers for the feedback unfortunately neither is what I had in mind. I was thinking along the lines of a purpose built thin client due its very small form factor. I have a few old PC's lying around that could do the same thing but Im looking for something with a small foot print that I could leave sitting under my monitor on a shelf.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Dunno if this would be of any use, but it's certainly small and near to your price range:

http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjrsx/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Wow a 300MHz 486! :D I wonder if it will have trouble with Windows Remote Desktop at high resolutions though?

I used ThinStation a couple of years ago when setting up some old PIIs as thin clients with good results. There may be more alternatives around now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wow a 300MHz 486! :D I wonder if it will have trouble with Windows Remote Desktop at high resolutions though?

GFX chip is rated at a max of 1600*1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are plenty of mini/nano/pico ITX boards around that will run some flavour of Linux. You could cobble together something yourself. Might cost more than €50 though :D

http://www.mini-itx.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

Thanks a million for all the great feedback, I had been looking at a mini itx based system alright but the cost was what turned me off. I could get a cheap thin client and put the cash that would have gone into a mini-itx system into my main system. Has anyone else gone down this route of using a thin client even just as a spare net PC etc?

@DecentBee - Thanks for the link, they look pretty good and are a great price too. Have you ordered from them or had an experience using the systems?

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

I haven't ordered one, was looking into it for a similar reason but decided to go for a cheap subnotebook instead.

Advertisement