Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flue from wood burning stove

• 24-10-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

I'm getting conflicting advice on installing a flue from a wood burning stove.
    The currents building regs say;
    2.5 Direction - Flues should be vertical
    wherever possible and where a bend is necessary, it
    should not make an angle of more than 37.5° with
    the vertical. Horizontal flue runs should be avoided
    except in the case of a back outlet appliance, when
    the length of the horizontal section should not
    exceed 150 mm.

The stove provider's technical departments say no problem to bring flue from back of stove horizontally through wall and then take 45 degree band to go vertically above roof.

The flue manufacturer says I can take flue from back of stove through wall with twin wall flue, then fit 90 degree bend with access for cleaning. I pointed out risk of soot accumulating and they said no problem.

My view is, to comply with regs, fit flue on stove (come off vertically), take a 30 degree bend and go though wall, take another 30 degree bend on outside and go vertical. This is very awkward to do, but appears to comply with regs.

Any advice, comments, or experoenced views appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd suggest that the 37.5 may apply mainly to clay flue liners and solid fuel fires. I'd be inclined to consult the UK regs, as their TGD J is very detailed, relates to BS and deals with stoves in detail.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/4000000000503.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Appreciate that RKQ.
    Glanced through document, it's certainly very informative and more user friendly than Irish regs.
    I also looked at p. 421 of Homebond manual, which seems to confirm that 37.5 degree bend from solid burning stove is required.
    It concerns me that builders providers, Flue & stove manufactures do not seem to have clear idea themselves about flue installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

No problem Builderfromhell. Haven't time to look it up so referenced info link.

Must try later to look up Homebond manual.
    I agree that its a concern as there is a lot of different advice floating about. Its a very good question so hopefully more people can comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

In the absence of the buildings regulations; install using the manufactures instructions
    In the absence of the manufactures instructions; use the building regulations
    I have seen both arguments win

Advertisement