Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 Where to buy and what version?

Options
  • 24-10-2008 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've decided to finally take the plunge and buy an Xbox 360.

Who's doing it for the cheapest? And would a 20GB HD be sufficient? I dont plan on downloading any movies or anything

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

I think the best deal is at smyths, picked up an arcade xbox 360, with 2 games and 1 wirless controller and a 256meg memory card for 179 euro, or they have the 60gig model with 4 games for 270euro. hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

vex wrote: »
    I think the best deal is at smyths, picked up an arcade xbox 360, with 2 games and 1 wirless controller and a 256meg memory card for 179 euro, or they have the 60gig model with 4 games for 270euro. hope this helps

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

Will I need a hard drive though? Can one be added afterwards if I decide I want one?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

HDD can be chopped and changed as you wish, but personally I would advise to get the bundle with the HD. Its not that much extra and you'll never really have to worry about space again if you dont download music or transfer your tunes to the box.

As far as I know there are certain games, or certain parts of games that require a HD.

What games would you be in to?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

well if your just using it for saving games than the memory card should be fine, if your going to use it for online gaming and media than a hdd would be best. you can pick up a 20 gig hdd on ebay cheap, or a 120 gig from gamestop for 120 euro. its easy to add the hdd as the xbox has a slot built into the console to add a hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

armour87 wrote: »
    HDD can be chopped and changed as you wish, but personally I would advise to get the bundle with the HD. Its not that much extra and you'll never really have to worry about space again if you dont download music or transfer your tunes to the box.

As far as I know there are certain games, or certain parts of games that require a HD.

What games would you be in to?

Don't really know what games I'm gonna get. Probably Far Cry 2, GTA 4 etc

I'm keen to utilise the streaming functionality between the Xbox and my Windows Media Centre desktop aswell.
    vex wrote: »
    well if your just using it for saving games than the memory card should be fine, if your going to use it for online gaming and media than a hdd would be best. you can pick up a 20 gig hdd on ebay cheap, or a 120 gig from gamestop for 120 euro. its easy to add the hdd as the xbox has a slot built into the console to add a hdd.

Nice one thanks, as long as I can upgrade the HD after buying the console.

Thanks for the advice lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition was 240 euro and you Get Halo 3 + Gears of war, 20GB Hard Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

John_Mc wrote: »
    Nice one thanks, as long as I can upgrade the HD after buying the console.

Get it with a hard drive, either a 60 gig or go for an elite with 120 gig.
    (Xbox harddrives are expensive to buy standalone for the xbox, and they don't use regular desktop PC harddrives like the PS3)

Once you start downloading games on XBLA, Xbox original games, game demos etc... you see the benefit of the harddrive. (and the 20 gig always seems to fill up very quickly)

Also you soon will be able to "install" games to the hardive so it will help keep the noise of the console down as the DVD drive will not be used as much when playing games.

No point getting an xbox without a harddrive imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

my 14 yr old son wants one for his birthday. Anyone know who is currently doing the best offers?

Was also wondering if they are cheaper up the North since we occasionally go to Sainsbury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Bump.

Anyone seen any decent Xbox 360 deals over the last week?
    Rumour has it Xtravision are running a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

For anyone interested, this morning I bought my Xbox package.
    It included:
    -60 gig Xbox 360
    -2 wireless joypads
    -PGR 4
    -Sonic Tenis
    -Indian Jones lego
    -Kung fu Panda
    -3 used dvds

for €260 in gamestop, Dun Laoghaire.
    Threw in another 32 euro for a charger and a second hand Halo 3.

€292 euro for the above has bargain written all over it imo ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭madarekrap

Dunnes have a great deal at the moment, it's an 'old' Premium console that comes with a 20GB hard drive and a wireless controller for €189 or something. but you don't need a bigger Hard Drive to be honest so its a great deal!!!!!!

dyl10 wrote: »
    For anyone interested, this morning I bought my Xbox package.
    It included:
    -60 gig Xbox 360
    -2 wireless joypads
    -PGR 4
    -Sonic Tenis
    -Indian Jones lego
    -Kung fu Panda
    -3 used dvds

for €260 in gamestop, Dun Laoghaire.
    Threw in another 32 euro for a charger and a second hand Halo 3.

€292 euro for the above has bargain written all over it imo ;)

That's a great deal tho all the same if you have the cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Just read this today, newer model supposedly with less chance of RROD. Not sure if they're available here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

MOH wrote: »
    Just read this today, newer model supposedly with less chance of RROD. Not sure if they're available here yet.

Its about time, I thought they would have done this with the Elite.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

madarekrap wrote: »
    Dunnes have a great deal at the moment, it's an 'old' Premium console that comes with a 20GB hard drive and a wireless controller for €189 or something. but you don't need a bigger Hard Drive to be honest so its a great deal!!!!!!

Does anyone know what cd-drive is in this model?

oh.....planning on doing a little diy are ya!!!!:D
    i dont have a clue man, as far as i kno, you'd have to open the case to find out for definate, but the cd drive isn't specific to the xbox type, as far as i kno! i doubt thats what you want to hear but......

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yep you git it in one alright.. yea the format my game currently are means they xbox will need somethin done to it alright.. was googleing there ages back and couldnt find any pictures of the stickers on the box to find out what drive is in it..
    is it possible to buy the thing and return it with dunnes?

you could try a sneaky one alrite, but be careful not to damage the case so obviously at the back. also bear in mind some retailers are on the look out for the voided microsoft warranty seal! but id imagine the old women you could be lucky enough to return it to in Dunnes wouldn't have the slightest clue about them things! i was all set for some diy on mine then i got a bit nervous, it's easy enough to do tho once you are anyway handy with computers and there are plenty of guide around [that i cant link to here incase the man sees!] All you need it a tork screwdriver and a really small flathead for openin the back and then look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQWdhfp_KrU&feature=related let me kno how that goes for ya i might give it a lash again!

Ah sure its possible to check what cd drive is in it by just pressing the eject button while the box i on..

• Advertisement
Advertisement