Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Electricity Supplier to go with?

• 24-10-2008 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi all,

Should be getting the electricity connected to our new house in a few weeks but was just wondering who is the best/cheapest elect supplier? Have heard of Airtricity etc but am a bit confused :confused:.
    I'm in Athlone if that helps!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

AFAIK, ESB supply is the only option for domestic users and the likes of Airtricity is only available to commercial users.

I could be wrong though.

In saying that, if you go with ESB, get the nightsaver tariff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DeeColl

Ok cheers - I think there must be another option though for domestic coz I was talking to the ESB about when do I set up an account and she said not till we're connected and you can get a list of suppliers on some website so she was more or less saying that we dont have to go with them. Had a look on that website but its a bit confusing!

It might be worth asking this in the Renewable Energies forum as well.

The guys there could probably give you some good pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DeeColl

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

SteveC wrote: »

In saying that, if you go with ESB, get the nightsaver tariff.

But only if they have a few appliances they can run at night time such as tumble dryer, mashing machine and maybe a dishwasher. Otherwise it's a waste of money due to the charges. They could end up paying more.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    But only if they have a few appliances they can run at night time such as tumble dryer, mashing machine and maybe a dishwasher. Otherwise it's a waste of money due to the charges. They could end up paying more.
    What are the extra charges?

I just thought the day units were a bit dearer but the night units made up for it.
    Pretty much everyone has a washing machine and / or dishwasher and immersion heaters that would make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

List of suppliers
    SteveC wrote: »
    What are the extra charges?

I just thought the day units were a bit dearer but the night units made up for it.
    Pretty much everyone has a washing machine and / or dishwasher and immersion heaters that would make it worthwhile.

Standing Charges are €15.37 for 24hour, and €21.11 for the nightsaver for 2months.

Unit charges are 15.97c for 24hour, and 17.06c/8.44c for nightsaver day and night respectively

Also i think the installation charge for the meter might be higher for a nightsaver but not sure.

davton wrote: »
    List of suppliers

Standing Charges are €15.37 for 24hour, and €21.11 for the nightsaver for 2months.

Unit charges are 15.97c for 24hour, and 17.06c/8.44c for nightsaver day and night respectively

Also i think the installation charge for the meter might be higher for a nightsaver but not sure.
    Thanks for the info - I stand corrected.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I just signed up for airtricity, was cheaper for me.

ESB bill just now.
    0.1597c per unit ex VAT
    33.6c per day standing charge.

Airtricity
    0.1517c per unit ex VAT
    33.60c per day standing charge.

A saving of €2.91 per year on my bills.

but not more expensive you understand.

Advertisement