Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to new look with no reciept

Options
  • 24-10-2008 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

First of all ive searched for "new look" in the search bar, so as to find somewhere to put this and nothing came up, so move if need be.

.................................................................................
    My little sis and i were shopping in new look yesterday and she bought a top for 40euro. On the way home it started pouring rain so we got caught in it , so when we got to my house we took every thing out of the bags and threw the bags away as they were soaked.

Today she called me and it seems there are a few diamonds missing out of the top she bought, she cant find the reciept so im assuming it was thrown away with the bags. Can she return it? i know she has no reciept but she knows the time she bought it would they have a record of it on the tills?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

IBTM

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Suuuure, just bring it back. Not a problem. Do it, do it now*

*may not work.

Did yous pay by cc, if so they may have it in the till still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

biko wrote: »
    Suuuure, just bring it back. Not a problem. Do it, do it now*

*may not work.

Did yous pay by cc, if so they may have it in the till still.

no was paid with by cash

Have you emptied your bins? If not, simply go through them and find the bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Have you emptied your bins? If not, simply go through them and find the bags.

the bins were collected this morning so its gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Call them...explain...and ask.

If the girl says yes, get her name and make sure to go up today and ask for her first. Tell her you're the one from the phone and here's the top...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

It will be up to the discretion of the manager then. Just go in, explain your case and be polite. I doubt she'll offer a refund but she might offer a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nickname

Generally I think once the tags are still on the top and there's no damage done to it she may be able to exchange it for another top, although if she wants her money back she probably won't get it, maybe ring new look and ask what their policies are on exchange and refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You have nothing to lose by trying. If the top is in good condition with tags attached, then you'll probably get some satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Agree with most of the posters here, I worked in several retail outlets and in this situation, if the tags were still atached and the item was not obviously worn, we would offer a replacement or exchange. I would doubt you would get a refund without the receipt, but would be very surprised if you didn't get offered something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah, a direct exchange or redeem the value of it against something else etc. A refund is doubtful. There wouldn't be a record 'in' the tills, I'd imagine there would be on the computers in the cash office though, although if somebody bought the same top 5 minutes later with the same note denomination..it's not the best way to 'prove' anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 judybooboo

you said she wanted to bring it back cuz it was missing diamonds, so its faulty so ur entitled to your money back with or without your reciept. im a supervisor in retail and i know id have to give you your money back, the only problem is if its gone into the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

judybooboo wrote: »
    so its faulty so ur entitled to your money back
    No!
    with or without your reciept.
    Provided you can prove it was bought there and/or the retailer can't prove it wasn't, both within reason.
    im a supervisor in retail and i know id have to give you your money back
    Not by law, you wouldn't.
    the only problem is if its gone into the sale.
    Doesn't affect the OP's rights, in the slightest, if the goods were faulty.

Might I respectfully suggest that you have your employer provide some training on basic consumer law? Maybe it's just your post was poorly worded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

so its faulty so ur entitled to your money back with or without your reciept
    cgarvey wrote: »
    No!

perhaps not entitled to a full refund but they are entitled to an replacement of the item or repair. The customer is entitled to a full refund if the company cannot offer either of the above.
    with or without your reciept
    Provided you can prove it was bought there and/or the retailer can't prove it wasn't, both within reason.

as others mentioned, once unworn and with tags attached there should be no problem. Furthermore, as new look label all their clothes, and it is not possible to buy a 'new look' tagged item elsewhere, then the garment itself provides proof of purchase.
    im a supervisor in retail and i know id have to give you your money back
    Not by law, you wouldn't.

Judy said specifically that she would have to give money back. She is simply pointing out that in most retail outlets of any decent respute there should be no problem as the item is unworn and not as described (i.e missing components (the diamonds)). It is a gesture of goodwill, and whilst not within the customers 'rights' it is good business practice.

[quote=judybooboo; 57744391]
    the only problem is if its gone into the sale[/quote]
    Doesn't affect the OP's rights, in the slightest, if the goods were faulty.

Again, mr garvey, you miss the point Judy makes. If the customer has no receipt and item has subsequently gone into sale, the customer cannot prove of the price they paid. Therefore Judy would have difficulty giving a refund of the original price as a gesture of goodwill - in this case she could not give the refund and instead could only offer a refund of the current selling price or a replacement.
    Might I respectfully suggest that you have your employer provide some training on basic consumer law? Maybe it's just your post was poorly worded?

might i respectfully suggest you not be such a pompus git?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

might i respectfully suggest you not be such a pompus git?

You're right, I shouldn't correct statements that are passed off by someone, claiming to be in a position to know, that are quite simply incorrect and contrary to law. Shame on me for being a "pompus" git. But then, this reply is probably "pompus" too!

Advertisement