Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5th Gear

Options
  • 24-10-2008 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I have been reading all the posts and advice over the last few months on this site and always think the tips are great so here goes....

I've been learning to drive in Galway city for 3 months now, I have a lesson from an instrutor once a week and he's really good. I am insured on my partners car and do my lessons in it. Recently I have started driving in to work with him, however when I am on the dual carriageway and need to go in to 5th gear, I panic and ALWAYS end up putting it in to 3rd! I have driven in to work every morning this week and each time I have tried, I have done the same thing, it's really getting to me as I am trying so hard but still can't do it!

The thing is, I know it's something I have to work on but I have applied for my test and I am worried that if I haven't resolved it before I get called for the test then I will fail because of it. I wondered how common it was to have to use 5th gear in your test? I have no problems with any other gears...

Thanks in advance, all tips, ect will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

You just need to take your time, and do it step by step

engage the clutch
    move out of fourth till you feel the stick loosen
    push the stick as far right as you can go
    while still maintaining the right pressure push it up into fifth
    release the clutch

Get it right first and it will become second nature after about twenty times.

remember you need about a second between gear changes or the gears will not engage, so don't rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

For the most part there is no requirement to use 5th Gear during the driving test. The only real occassion to use it would be if the route happens to take you on an extended section of dual carriageway with a 100km/hr limit (sorry dont know Galway routes not sure if this is the case!). Most test routes are within a 50km or 60km speed limit and using 4th gear for this is fine.

However you do need to be able to change into 5th eventually :)

Easiest method is to use the 'palming method' - ask your instructor to show you. Basically for selecting 1st or 2nd gear you should hold the gear lever with your palm on the right hand side of it and your thumb facing down. You then push the gear level to the left and into 1st or 2nd as needed. For 3rd, 4th and 5th you hold the gear level with your palm on the left hand side with your thumb on top. To go from 4th to 5th - hold the gear level with your palm on the left hand side and thumb on top. Move it staight up from 4th into Neutral, then pull towards you to the right and then straight up into 5th.

Take it nice and slowly, dont rush, to begin with break it into 3 distinct movements : 4th->Neutral, pull to the right, straight up into 5th, during all this obviously keep the clutch depressed! Going from 4th to 5th you will have plenty of momentum to keep moving even if it takes you 3-4 secs to get the gear change. As you practice you will be able to do it without even thinking about it!

Good luck!

Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As said, take your time and try not to panic, clutch in, take the car out of 4th and pull it to the right and then up. So long as you pull the gear stick far to the right and up you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can also practice without actually driving, engine off. Just imitate going though all the gears a few times, then take it for a spin.
    While in 4th the car will travel a long way without losing momentum, you can use this to be extra slow when putting it into 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Place the palm of your left hand against the left side of the gearstick as you are changing out of 4th. It should make it easier to move it across and into 5th.

And as biko says, try it while parked up with the engine off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, one of my driving tests involved using a short stretch of the Longford Bypass so I had to use 5th gear that time. I certainly would never have gone for a test without being able to do that.

If the panic is (part of) what's causing you to mistakenly put the car in 3rd, every time, then try going on the dual carriagway late at night when you're not rushing to work and there's little other traffic, to give yourself a chance to practice it without pressure. Follow the advice of the others here, and you should get it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

DriveSkill wrote: »
    For the most part there is no requirement to use 5th Gear during the driving test. The only real occassion to use it would be if the route happens to take you on an extended section of dual carriageway with a 100km/hr limit (sorry dont know Galway routes not sure if this is the case!). Most test routes are within a 50km or 60km speed limit .

+1

But definatley use 5th if you get a chance. They will be looking out for correct use of the gears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Knix

Hi all,
    Thanks so much for all the tips and advice! I had a lesson yesterday and explained my problem to my instructor. Of course the first place we went to was the dual carriageway! I drove up and down it a couple of times and using the palming method managed to get the car in to 5th both times. I am still a bit anxious about it but really relieved that I can actually do it! I think I am nervous on the dual carriageway full stop and then the panic sets in with the gears but I will keep on practicing and hopefully get more comfortable with it...
    Thanks again, you're all so helpful!
    N

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Keep in mind that you don't need to be going very fast to go into 5th gear. Most cars will happy drive in 5th gear at 50kph (or even lower), so you can practice on short drives to the shops or whatever and then you should be well used to it when you come to the dual carriageway.

Advertisement