Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornish Pastrys

• 24-10-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭

I was on a trip to the uK on Wednedsya and there was a takeawy van at the airport selling Cornish (Cornwall) pastrys that were devine. I was jsut wondering can you but these on the northside of Dublin. i LIVE IN sWORDS BY THE WAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What you had was a Cornish Pasty (plural Pasties), and they're from the South West of England, i.e. primarily Cornwall and Devon, although they're commonplace all throughout England and Wales these days.

I've never seen them anywhere in Ireland, let alone North Dublin, to be honest. They were traditionally the food given to the Cornish tin miners to take down the pit with them, and tradition has it that the thick fold of pastry was so that they could hold them in their hands to eat without touching anything that they would consume, as the dust in the tine mines was poisonous (contained arsenic amongst other nasty stuff)

Traditionally they were made with just beef, onions, potato and sometimes swede, but nowadays you can get them with just about anything in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

There's a restraunt in Temple bar (can't remember the name) that serves all kind of traditional Irish and English foods, pasties are defo on their menu :D Try a Boxtie - savage :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The old Superquinn on the main street in Swords used to sell them at the hot food counter, they were fab. I don't know if they still do though.
    You can buy them in Marks and Spencers to cook yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Grren Isle did a frozen two pack with shortcrust pastry until recently. A tad short on filling but tasty. Superquinn used to stock them but I haven't seen them in about four months. I don't like them done in puff pastry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Try La Croissanterie in the Pavillions. They may have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Alun wrote: »
    They were traditionally the food given to the Cornish tin miners to take down the pit with them, and tradition has it that the thick fold of pastry was so that they could hold them in their hands to eat without touching anything that they would consume, as the dust in the tine mines was poisonous (contained arsenic amongst other nasty stuff)

Traditionally they were made with just beef, onions, potato and sometimes swede, but nowadays you can get them with just about anything in them.

Watching a program about them before, seemingly in some parts they were divided into two, with one half savoury (beef etc.) and the other half sweet (fruit/jam) so you had your main and dessert all in one parcel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

They're actually really easy to make yourself, I make them with just mince, onion and gravy - fry off the mince and onion, add gravy and place in some pre-rolled shortcrust pastry (flour, margarine and water), seal and fold over the edges, brush with eggwash and bake at 200C for 30-35 mins until golden brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I love pasties. I'd say there's a market for them in Ireland. Gregs should open a few shops in Ireland, I'd certainly frequent it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've been a rabid pasty fan since spending time down in SW England some years ago.

You can get them at the hot food counter in most supermarkets. Just check out any Centra in the Dublin centre.

Closer to you in NCD - SuperValu & Gerry's supermarkets in Skerries sell them occasionally. (The one's in Gerry's a shíte though. :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Cuisine de France or someone like that used to make a version you could get in delis. It was vile though. The real things are great

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This thread gave me a longing for cornish pasties so I made some myself last night (there are tons of recipes on the net). They were really nice and I'll definitely make them again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Hi Dizzyblonde,

Would you mind posting the link to the recipe you used? If they turned out that nice I may have to make some tonight..... :D

The one I used is HERE

I made my pastry using 1lb of flour and a half pound of margarine, a pinch of salt and half a pint of water. This made 6 pasties which I cut using a large-ish side plate.
    I didn't trust putting everything in raw so while the pastry was resting I steamed the diced turnip and potato for around 10 minutes and flash-fried a piece of sirloin in butter before dicing. I left the onion raw. The secret with these is to use plenty of pepper.
    I brushed them with beaten egg and they cooked in around 40 minutes at 200C/gas mark 6. The recipe says to bake them for an hour but I think the pastry would be rock hard if you did.

Putting in everything raw is, however, the way they're traditionally made. I guess the fact that everything is sealed up inside the pastry would mean everything would cook reasonably well with the trapped heat and moisture. Whenever I've had traditional pasties in Cornwall or Devon, the vegetables have always been a little bit "al dente", I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Wouldn't butter make a far better pastry than marge?

rockbeer wrote: »
    Wouldn't butter make a far better pastry than marge?
    Better for some things maybe, but I don't think it would be quite right for a pasty, i.e too flaky or rich maybe. Traditionally they'd have used lard and/or suet for the pastry.

Alun wrote: »
    Better for some things maybe, but I don't think it would be quite right for a pasty, i.e too flaky or rich maybe. Traditionally they'd have used lard and/or suet for the pastry.

Exactly - I didn't have any lard so I used marge. Butter is good for rich pastry and puff pastry but not for this type of thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There's plenty to be had in the local shops as mentioned.
    I too lived in SW England and miss pies badly.
    We need a Tiggly Oggly NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭billyhead

Do they sell the traditional Pastrys with the potatoes, onions and mince in Centras/ Spars atc becasue I never came across them

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

They are Cornish PASTIES not pastrys ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Ginsters do a full range of pasties, traditional and not-so-traditional, that are on sale just about everywhere in the UK.

Wonder why they aren't available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Ginsters do a full range of pasties, traditional and not-so-traditional, that are on sale just about everywhere in the UK.

I agree. Ginsters pasties are brill!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭deisemum

Ginsters have produced some not so traditional pies alright, some fillings have included snail, mouse and they're only the ones that got media attention

Second from bottom report features a not so appetising photo of the snail

http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2008_08_10_archive.html

I'll never forget the media furore when someone bit into one of their cornish pasties back in the early 90's and the poor unfortunate bit into a mouse. I feel ill just remembering it.:eek:

The traditional ones are lovely though :D

I remember making them when I was in secondary school. I've a longing for one now.

Advertisement